x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best Wireless For Jornada 680e

1 2 3
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 8:03 AM
#
After spending hours perusing the forums and the HCL, I've come up dry. I was hoping someone that has already done this could give me some insight as to what they think is the best wireless PC card for the 680e. My compact flash slot is covered up, because this is a refurbed model, so it can't be a CF card. I'm looking for both a quality and economical solution, but even a direction to go in would be nice at this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5750200239&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

That link is where I bought it from, just in case there was any questions. Thanks for any help you guys are willing to give me. I spent hours in these forums last night looking.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 9:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Welcome Dentorin!

That the CF slot below is covered up is not because its refurbised, but because its a E series ... 680e ... the 680 is the *full* version with the recording buttons *and* the CF slow below.

In any case, you need to get a wifi PCCARD that has drivers for HPCPro.
 Top of the page
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 1:41 PM
#
Do you have any specific reccomendations as to the brand of WIFI PC card I should get? I've been poking through but again, I'm pretty unsure exactly what I'm looking for. I'll keep looking, though.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Socket wifi card seem to be very popular, due to its low power consumption, which translates to longer battery usage time.

Linksys cards or any of those that uses has WPC11xxx in their model, almost usually use the linksys drivers very well.

I personally use a pretec wifi cf card. It comes with a pccard adapter, so u can use it in the pccard slot as well. I got it at a low price of $20.50 incl shipping from hsn.com

HSN.com has this $15 off first purchase for new customers. Search for coupon on google, and go to hsn, search for pretec.
 Top of the page
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 8:07 PM
#
I'll have to take a look at that when I have a little more money. You're running a 680e, then? Are there any "must-haves" for it?
 Top of the page
lex
lex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 6:11 AM
#
best wifi card for my 680e is still orinoco 802.11 B GOLD (classic card) from luccent it runs perfectly it has power saving support and wireless profiles it's a great card and it's quite cheap
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 6:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello, I hate to mention this. But TigerDirect.Com is selling these same units for $120 + shipping. Problem is, I am still Waiting for mine. Should see it on Tuesday. If UPS is correct.
Accesorries?
I got a Case on Ebay for about $22. Nice unit. Hard case. Choice of color.
CF Card? Crucial Memory sells them direct. I think a 256MB was $27. They have othewrs as well. 128 $18, 512 $46, 1GB $80. They are the Manufacturer. Used them in the past. Never had problems.
Battery? I found HP offfers a NEW battery for $53 + Shipping, Tax (If applicable) with a FULL Warranty. The battery is a 1950mAh. So its larger than what came with the unit. Will help with your WiFi power consumption.
I am also getting a 3COM Lan card for ine. To connect to my PC.
There are many options. Just thought I should mention what I have found.
Hope this helps.
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

btw, you can get great (Read: Better!) deals on CF cards on www.chiefvalue.com and www.neweggs.com

Newegg is the old dog while chiefvalue seem to be the new kid on the block, but both are rather efficient in their delivery and uses Fedex. Good price as well!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Dentorin - 2005-02-15 6:07 PM

I'll have to take a look at that when I have a little more money. You're running a 680e, then? Are there any "must-haves" for it?

I don't use the 680e myself, I use the NEC MP790. But the Pretec card supports CE2.11 devices, that's why I suggested looking into it. And besides at $20 for a CF wifi card, its a bargain.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 7:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

In my state NewEgg charges Sales tax. 6%. I did get a SanDisk Extreme 256Mb CF for $33 at TigerDirect. Personally, I only shop few places. Places I Trust. Like Crutchfield.com for my car stereo equipment. As an example.
Chris

Edited by ESCAPEMAX 2005-02-20 7:11 PM
 Top of the page
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 8:16 PM
#
Hey guys, still working on this WiFi card, but I wanted to run something by you before I buy the card I'm looking at. First off, the card Im looking at is here:

http://www.saveateagle.com/prorclgopcca.html

Secondly, I tested a few PC cards that we had on hand. Without knowing too much about them, I tried a Linksys WPC54G card. What I felt I had learned from that was that if a card is incompatible with a device, as I assume that one is, then the card will get no power. I then tested a 3com Model 3CCFE575BT LAN card. That was a Cardbus card, I already knew that. I just wanted to see if the power would go to it. It did not. Finally, I tested a 3com 56k Model 3CXM756 and had my Jornada completely flip out. It wouldn't even turn on until I pulled all the batteries and let it do a hard reset. Wasn't entirely sure how to interpret that one.

So with that background, the short of what I want to know is: If a card is plugged into the device that isn't compatible with the device, should I expect symptoms like the 56k card or should I expect symptoms like the other two, where the card doesn't get power? I'm trying to decide whether or not the problem is with the PC cards or the PC slot. I don't want to pay for the WiFi card at any price only to find out that for some odd reason my PC card slot doesn't power the cards plugged into it.

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to finally being at the end of this search.
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 10:28 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I hate to double post so I won't, but I posted a very good link to a comparison chart for nearly all wireless client cards which could be very important in making a wireless decision...

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=636&posts=2
 Top of the page
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 1:43 PM
#
I know that the card I'm looking at now is compatible. I'm concerned about the symptoms I was experiencing when plugging those different cards into the PC slots.
 Top of the page
Darus77
Darus77 Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 4:08 PM
#
i see you recommended an orinoco 802.11 B GOLD (classic card). is that a 8420-wd or a 8410-wd, and does anyone know the difference between the two? i just inherited a jornada 680 and need to make sure i get a compatable card, and also want the better of the two if they both will work. i am THIS (holds fingers about a quarter inch apart) close to talking the missus into letting me spend money on a wireless card and can't afford to make a mistake buying a card that won't work with my device...
 Top of the page
mutrox Page Icon Posted 2005-03-22 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dentorin I have read in forums it seems only 16 bits PCMCIA cards (alias PC cards) works in hpc-hpc/pro devices , both cards you have mentioned above are 32 bits Pcmcia cards (alias CardBus type cards) you will get extranges behavior in your loved machine if you put too many bits in such delicate overture
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 29