x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 error 678

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
mbj720 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 11:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello HPC gurus,

Recently I bought a refurbished Jornada 720. The unit itself works great, but I can not get it to connect to my PC (Windows 2000 Pro). Getting infamous error 678. ActiveSync on the PC is 3.8. Tried both USB and serial ports on the cradle and serial port on the unit. Have read at tried almost all suggestions found on this forum, but nothing worked (re-installed AS 3.8, re-installed COM ports on the PC, used 2 other PCs, HP suggestion, Microsoft suggestion, ….etc).

When connecting with USB cable, AS shows nothing (no connection at all), when connecting with serial cable AS shows connection attempts (Connecting… and spins green circle), but after 6 retries Jornada gives up. Tried this multiple times.

I'm doing this for 3 days now, my frustration is turning to desperation. I got the Jornada pretty cheap, but I would like not to trash it away. Unit itself, without ability to install any new software and drivers on it looks pretty useless (or a toy at best).

People who were reporting this issue on this forum before have just stated they fixed the problem, but they have not explained exactly HOW.

Please help !!
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 1:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Have you tried a hard-reset?

Also, even if you can't sync, you can always copy CAB files directly to the CF card and run the installer on Jornada.
 Top of the page
mbj720 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 1:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is all new to me, I'm new to handhelds/PDAs.
"hard-reset", if that means removed all batteries - Yes.
Are CAB files always available for the software/drivers ?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 2:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That error message is actually not all that unusual - I see it on my NEC 790 after I first connect it and it automatically tries connecting six times. Have you tried "Get Connected" in the File menu of the ActiveSync window of your PC? (That always works for me.) Are you using the same USB port to connect other devices?

EDIT: CAB files are almost always available to install nearly every application on the H/PC. If the software normally installs using a Setup.exe file, initiating Setup without the H/PC connected will place the CAB files in a folder on the PC (usually \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync or \Program Files, but occasionally in the root directory (C:\) or in a temporary folder (\Documents and Settings\[your username on the PC]\Local Settings\temp).

Another thing: I've found that serial-to-USB adapters don't work properly even in Windows XP without installing a driver for the adapter. Some of these adapters come with driver disks, but some don't (maybe expecting that Windows' built-in drivers will support it). See if there's a driver disk for your adapter. (If not, you may have to get another adapter. )

Edited by CE Geek 2006-09-21 2:31 PM
 Top of the page
mbj720 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, I tried Get Connected. USB flash drives or mouse are working on the same USB port (and the second one on the PC, both v1.1).
I don't use serial-to-USB adapter.
I do not use COM ports on my PC, but I have no reason to believe there is something wrong with them (they worked fine before when I used an external modem).
Could something be wrong with the ActiveSync 3.8 (v3.8.0 build 5004) ? Where I can download it to re-install it again?
Could something be wrong on the Jornada side (Handheld PC 2000) ? Is there anything I can check on my Jornada 720 ?
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 4:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

mbj720 - 2006-09-21 3:38 PM

Yes, I tried Get Connected. USB flash drives or mouse are working on the same USB port (and the second one on the PC, both v1.1).
I don't use serial-to-USB adapter.
I do not use COM ports on my PC, but I have no reason to believe there is something wrong with them (they worked fine before when I used an external modem).
Could something be wrong with the ActiveSync 3.8 (v3.8.0 build 5004) ? Where I can download it to re-install it again?
Could something be wrong on the Jornada side (Handheld PC 2000) ? Is there anything I can check on my Jornada 720 ?

mbj720

When attempting to connect using your serial-to-USB adapter, what is the sequence of steps you use in the process.
For example, when using the serial-to-USB adapter I.....

1. Plug the serial connector into the serial slot in my desktop PC
2. Start Actiesync 3.8
3. Switch on my 720
4. Plug the USB connector into my 720

At this point AS 3.8 should automatically be trying to connect.......what is happing on your desktop computer screen and on your 720 screen?

If it failed, did you try connecting by using the PC Link function on your 720?
When it trys to setup a connect in this manner , is set to 'Serial 57600' ?

What happens now?

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 5:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Uh, John, mbj720 just said (s)he isn't using a serial-to-USB adapter.

The reason that I asked whether other devices share the same USB port is not to see if the USB port is not working properly. ActiveSync is not particularly friendly about sharing a port with other devices - it kinda gets confused when you do that. I'd recommend using another port that isn't being shared, if one is available.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-09-21 5:44 PM
 Top of the page
mbj720 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 5:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hurricane John, I don't use serial-to-USB adapter. I use regular USB cable, and in case of the serial cable, I use Jornada's HP sync cable (plugged to my PC's COM port).
However, I follow the same steps. Yes, I tried using PC Link too.
When I connect USB cable, Jornada is trying to connect, with no luck. AS on the PC does not show any connection attempts.
When I connect serial sync cable, Jornada is trying to connect, with no luck. AS on the PC is spinning the green circle, but never establishes the connection.

I just installed AS 3.8 on my third PC at home (also Win 2000 Pro) and as with others, problems start immediately. Once I connect USB cable to the cradle (with Jornada in it), Windows 2000 can has problem installing the USB driver for the device and reports:
An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for the device instance."
Just FYI, I tried all of this with my Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop … did not work either.
I wonder, if something is with USB connections/drivers, why serial connection is also not working ?

CE Geek, it's good to know that I can at least use CAB files to do installations on the Jornada.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

To be honest, I never tried anything else except IrDA. I was able to make this one work but I'd love to have USB simply because it's faster. Have to pull out the docking station and see if it works.
 Top of the page
mbj720 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-21 11:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Half-Saint, tnx for the tip. I configured IrDA port on my laptop and successfully established partnership with Jornada. I even installed driver for Orinoco Gold wireless PC card on the Jornada, so I have Internet access now. More to explore tomorrow, it's midnight here. USB and serial connections are still not working.

Edited by mbj720 2006-09-21 11:56 PM
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

if you have a wlan at home you can also sync by "ethernet".
About the USB connection, I need a "generic serial device" driver for Win98 in order to sync my jornada via usb,
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 1:20 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Too late for editing.. mm, however:

Also try this link:
HP Jornada 720 Handheld PC - Resolving the "Error 678" Message
However, I don't use sync, I install apps from cab, you should try it. It's better for me at least.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 3:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

mbj720 - 2006-09-21 8:55 PM

Half-Saint, tnx for the tip. I configured IrDA port on my laptop and successfully established partnership with Jornada. I even installed driver for Orinoco Gold wireless PC card on the Jornada, so I have Internet access now. More to explore tomorrow, it's midnight here. USB and serial connections are still not working.

You'll still want to get to the bottom of the serial connection problem. I've had ups and downs with establishing partnerships via IrDA. I went to serial connection with my 6651 after having lots of trouble connecting after a hard reset.
 Top of the page
sashko Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 5:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Take a look at the 10 copper pins on the cradle and the contacts on the jornada. I had the same error and then read somewhere that it could be due to poor contacts between the jornada and the cradle. Indeed...two of the pins were stuck in the down position (they seem to be held up by springs) and were not making contacts with the jornada . After getting the pins to pop up by bending the base of the pins slightly, ActiveSync worked like a charm . Best of luck!
 Top of the page
mbj720 Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 9:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ShadowMaster, I tried the HP's document million times. It is not working. Tried Ethernet connection, didn't work, but have to work more on this, regarding possible router and firewall issues.

sashko, will check pins on the cradle. But, I wonder why direct connection from the unit to the PC is not working too (via serial sync cable).

CE Geek, I agree, ideal would be to have USB connection working. Solution with IrDA is not perfect as it works only in my laptop, but my laptop is not ideal place to constantly install/uninstall software, I prefer that to be one of my desktop PCs. Will have to work more on this, but I'm at work now and have no much time at this moment.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13