x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bouffont
Bouffont Page Icon Posted 2006-09-22 6:51 AM
#
Siemens SL4 Simpad

This unit comes complete with Windows CE 4.2 Mullenger Edition on it which is a £75 upgrade from the standard edition and includes lots of custom applications and tweaks. It's largely regarded as the best OS for this device.

I’ve also installed Remote Control II which enables you to use the unit as a remote control for any Infra Red device including TV, Satellite, Hifi, DVD etc. These can all be controlled by this unit at the same time and you can even run macros to do such things as Turn on your TV, turn on your hi-fi, play a DVD and turn off the room lights all with the press of one button. It’s a very impressive little gadget.

Included is a Cisco wireless PCMCIA card that enables you to surf the net / your network from the Simpad.

Also included is a power cable to charge the battery. The unit unfortunately has no docking station or carry case as these didn’t come with the unit.

Please note that due to the high value of this, if you want to pay with paypal I will only accept from Verified paypal members (due to being a victim of fraud in the past).

If wanting to pay by cheque then please allow 5 days for the funds to clear.

I live in nottingham if you want to come collect it.

Will anyone give me £150 for it? Offers considered

Edited by Bouffont 2006-09-22 6:52 AM
 Top of the page
Bouffont
Bouffont Page Icon Posted 2006-09-25 4:29 PM
#
Hi All,

This is now sold.

Cheers

Tom
 Top of the page
alexquant Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 10:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks Tom

Just to say to all that I had no problem trading with Tom. The SL4 package arrived this morning, all very nicely packaged (thanks for the towel!) and in good health.

Now, I face the conundrum most SL4 owners face - CF storage or WiFi in the PCMCIA slot?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 1:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

try a sandisk wlan card with 128mb memory maybe
 Top of the page
alexquant Page Icon Posted 2006-09-26 1:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2006-09-26 6:14 PM

try a sandisk wlan card with 128mb memory maybe

Hi cmonex. Yep, I had considered that as an option - I guess its better than a smack in the mouth with a stone. Its a pity SanDisk didn't update their CF combo. card with, say, at least 512MB. Instead they abandoned that and created a 256MB+WiFi SD card and that too hasn't been updated! What the combination card does suggest is that its possible to have two devices sharing the same port, so it might be possible to hack into the SL4 a 1GB CF card onto the PCMCIA bus that remains inside.

Anyway, I'm happy enough. I know I can save the Simpad's PCMCIA slot by leaving the PCMCIA<-->CF adapter in the slot and pulling cards out of that instead.

Its an interesting device that could have been a hit, I'm sure, if it had a host USB, a CF or another PCMCIA card and stereo sound, but it wasn't designed as a consumer device, so I have to suffer but only ever so slightly.

I've looked at hacks for an internal Bluetooth adapter, and even an SD card slot but as it uses the spare internal serial port it will be dog slow and only reasonably exploited with Linux. If I flash the ROM to another OS I will lose WinCE 4.2 unless I want to pay £75

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.155 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 12