x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Visual Basic confusion....

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-09-23 12:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm confused. I see on eBay many listings for Microsoft Windows CE Toolkit for Visual Basic.

How is this different from the free download from Microsoft for their Handheld PC 2000 SDK?

Rich
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-09-24 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

One is a toolkit for visual basic, the other is Embedded Visual Basic which is part of Embedded Visual Tools, which is free.

EVB requires CE 2.11 or higher IIRC, and also requires an interpreter to be present on the HPC asit compiles to a byte-code style interpreted language. It's a standalone product.

The toolkit is an add on for VB6. I *think* it targets the same machines and has the same limitations of compiling to an interpreted language, but really couldn't swear to it...

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-09-24 3:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Thanks for the answer...especially since I had no idea what they were...

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-24 4:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are two, well, five Toolkits

Windows CE Toolkit for Visual Basic 5.0
Windows CE Toolkit for Visual C++ 5.0
Windows CE Toolkit for Visual J++ (was withdrawn)
Windows CE Toolkit for Visual Basic 6.0
Windows CE Toolkit for Visual C++ 6.0

You need the 5.0 C++ version to program for CE 1.00

All they are essentially bolt-on API, runtimes, documentation and sample components for the Microsoft Windows developer studio Visual Studio - specifically VC++ and VB. Without these, VS can only work with x86 Win32 code. They are slightly more advanced, VB is still byte-code, however they are the professional products for CE development. eVT is the free small task and home user development studio - at least that was the aim.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8