x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How to uncover CF slot?

eagle16nam
eagle16nam Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 11:55 PM
#
I recently got a Jornada 680E and i noticed the cf slot is covered up , is there a way to remove it a modification or something? is the cf slot enabled if i got it uncovered? why would they even cover it up in the first place and the audio also?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 6:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

eagle16nam - 2005-02-16 9:55 PM

I recently got a Jornada 680E and i noticed the cf slot is covered up , is there a way to remove it a modification or something? is the cf slot enabled if i got it uncovered? why would they even cover it up in the first place and the audio also?

Short of cutting a hole below or ordering a replacement bottomplate from HP (if they sell at all), you are on wits' end.

No.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 8:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you really want to reclaim your CF slot, then you might find talking to forum user 'Master Rory' beneficial.
 Top of the page
simdim Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 10:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Folks,
I do have one of refurbished 680e. You can reclaim CF slot – I did. Unscrew the bottom cover – cut screws shorter and use them to screw real back cover. Works like a charm.

simdim
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 6:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

You'll need a T6 Torx screwdriver. Cf is in the slot underneath the PCMCIA slot.
Chris
 Top of the page
a
a Page Icon Posted 2005-03-02 10:29 PM
#
I wanna pop in my spare 256 Compact flash Can you run CE 3.0 from the compact flash and disable the rom OS?

Will a belkin 802.11g PCMIA card work with this?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-03 9:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No you cannot

and no it will not.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 2:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a suspicion you just bought one of those Misleadingly advertised refurbished 680e models from tigerdirect.com. Did you notice the HP slip in your white box that states your model is a custom make for the Dutch Railroad?

There should have been two slips. One telling you what is missing and another informing you that the model is not a retail model. You also did not get a registration slip for your alleged 90 day factory parts and labor warranty. That is because you do not get one! Go to the HP site and you will not be allowed to register your 680e.

I think you will find the CF slot is not covered. There isn't one. You have only a PCMCIA slot. Tiger has a good PCMCIA to CF card adapter on sale right now for under $10. You will need it. The viking 256 CF card is $9 with the rebate. Tiger fails to tell you but the PCMCIA card adaptor on special cannot handle more than a 256MB CF card, but you can do a lot with 256MB. I advise you store all you data and any programs you intall (that you can) on the card. It is flash ram and thus immune to power outs and resets. Also, you can pull a CF card and put another in its place, no problem. I switch them from unit to unit, depending on what use a particular unit is being used for.

You probably do not have the cradle or the stabilizer either, the battery came attached to the unit, which gauranteed it was not partially charged like it is supposed to be and the button battery was dead. Tiger can be held responsible for this because they cleary state what their definition of "factory refurbished" means. 'Often new and unused, sometimes slightly used but open box and returned to the factory. Whatever ships in the box (which refers to retail by the way) that is damaged or missing is fixed or replaced. Other than "like new", none of this applies to the 680e units they are selling.

At the same time, you get a lot for the $119 price. You just have the Tigerdirect time limit to return a product to return your unit. Don't count on any support or warranty from HP & you can count on Tiger insisting on refering you to HP. So, decide fast if you want to return it to Tiger. If everything works, you got a deal.
 Top of the page
mysticode Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 1:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I purchased one of the "refurbished" units from TigerDirect and it does in fact have a CF slot. I removed the bottom and the slot was there. Popped in my 256 MB CF card and it works like a charm.

Had to replace the backup battery as you mentioned. The only thing that I am annoyed about is that there are no audio ports. I am going to look and see whether it would be possible to add audio ports but I don't expect it to be very nice.
 Top of the page
satviewer2000 Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

mysticode - 2005-03-08 11:23 AM

I purchased one of the "refurbished" units from TigerDirect and it does in fact have a CF slot. I removed the bottom and the slot was there. Popped in my 256 MB CF card and it works like a charm.

Had to replace the backup battery as you mentioned. The only thing that I am annoyed about is that there are no audio ports. I am going to look and see whether it would be possible to add audio ports but I don't expect it to be very nice.

I also just recently purchased one of these 680e refurbished models (from who else but tigerdirect).

I unscrewed the false bottom, and was able to access the CF slot, but for some reason it seems to be "stuck". I cannot get it to slide out. Do any of these tiny little screws on the plate have to be removed so that the CF slot can slide out, or is it just that I am not pulling hard enough? (I gave it a good tug, in fact, almost the entire piece of plastic looked like it would come out, but the slot still did not come out).

As well, the audio control solenoids appear to be present (when the false bottom is removed), just the actual buttons are missing. I wonder if you could use the stylus to access the solenoids directly?

In any case, it's still a good price for what I'm getting. Beautiful color LCD screen, everything looks crystal clear, and the thing is built solid. Just like everyone else, I had to replace the backup battery (I suspect it's been there since 1999, so no wonder it's dead).

I am curious, can the main batteries be replaced or are they no longer available? Mine still work fine, but I'm sure eventually they will die.
 Top of the page
Frank Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
I just bought a 680e. Which commonly available wireless PC card will work with it? Is there some sort of photo viewing/editing software that may be loaded?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 2:34 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

HCL

www.hpcfactor.com/hcl
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 33