x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Will this card work? its not in the HCL list

1 2
eagle16nam
eagle16nam Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 4:38 PM
#
Its a Linksys WPC11 Wireless-B Notebook Adapter heres the link to it , Its in the hcl but theres no checks near it only a X next to 1.0 but nothing next to Pro or anything else

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=449418
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 6:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Linksys have not written proper drivers for their adapters, success with them is varied, as a resule I have refused to post compatibility data as the recommendation would be a waste of money for a large slab of people who buy the adapter.

See the CESD for more info.
 Top of the page
eagle16nam
eagle16nam Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 9:45 PM
#
well I do have a alternative but I didnt really want to wait for shipping yea im impatient lol because the linksys is at a store literally 5 mins from me but just to make sure the Proxim ORiNOCO would work correct? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-167-107&depa=0 is the link to it
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 11:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

There are many versions of this card.

If it is 32-bit, which you can tell by the golden color strip with studs at the connector end of the card, then it won't work.

If it doesn't have the strip, that means it's 16-bit. It should also say "Ver 3" on the box. I have seen one 16-bit and three 32-bit cards in the same stack in a Staples last week (Richmond, BC). The store doesn't distinguish between them, so watch it.

If you find the Ver 3, I would say it is "worth a try". If you can't get it to work, just refund it.

I even wanted to get it myself, thinking that it might be less fragile than my CF card Then again $90 CAD isn't exactly spare change.

I believe the 32-bit version is why there are conflicting reports on the compatiblity of this card.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

eagle16nam - 2005-02-20 7:45 PM

well I do have a alternative but I didnt really want to wait for shipping yea im impatient lol because the linksys is at a store literally 5 mins from me but just to make sure the Proxim ORiNOCO would work correct? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-167-107&depa=0 is the link to it

Yes! I believe you've found a winner!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 8:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No the version 4 chipset is the cardbus one.

The 2, 2.5 and 3 version will work. However linksys have written dud drivers. Their tech support admits it, but the company wont retract or fix them.

Before I put a stop to email tech support. Every other hardware question was on the linksys. So I pulled the data from the HCL.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 9:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

How about this card?
Proxim ORiNOCO Classic Gold PC Card 8410-WD / 8410WD - Network adapter - ( NIC ) 802.11b, New Retail Box, 3 Year Warranty

http://www.saveateagle.com/prorclgopcca.html

Also, what is the lowest power usage card, besides the Socket LPs?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 10:20 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

some advice on asus wl-110 cf wifi card? asus has only PPC drivers officially, but the card is a prism2 chipset. am i wrong in assuming that another generic prism2 driver will work with asus? please help me with this!

anyway, i downloaded all the prism drivers i found in the hcl and installed them. interesting report: several of them are not a proper hpc version!! with the ppc version of mfcce300.dll they will work, otherwise not. i dont have a wifi card yet, but with the ppc dll, at least the wifi manager will start before complaining that there isnt any card inserted. how come that theyre not for the hpcs?! am i missing something here? im really sad... i might as well buy the asus.. (can get one now for cheap)

i would prefer the socket cf wifi though. but im not sure i can get hold of one of these. so im asking too: which wifi cards are really low power apart from socket?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 11:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

With the prism chipset you are better off going for the Prism reference drivers rather than the OEM rebadded (compaq) ones. Again there are threads on the forum re that.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Are you referring to Linksys' drivers or something else? These reference drivers?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 1:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
eagle16nam
eagle16nam Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 2:35 PM
#
Well I ordered it and its on the way , thanks a ton guys I'm going to make HPCFactor my homepage on my handheld and I'll take screenshots if you guys want and if its possible haha
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 3:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Glad you like the site.

Keep visiting.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 3:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Update:
I went back to the store and they have lowered the price to $70 CAD. Thinking that I might never see a Ver 3 again, I took the plunge and got one! The whole model number is: WPC11-CA ver 3. (CA = CAnada)

The Type II PC Card does seem and feel more durable than my Type I CF adapter, despite being a bit longer than the CF + PC Card sleeve. Especially since my little accident (http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=232) the CF card has been a little "bendy"

Installation is a breeze. The software is the same as the CF driver; they didn't even rename ANYTHING, everything says CF. The only change I notice is that the adapter is recognized so WinCE won't ask for a driver name when you insert it.

The performance is unfortunately not as good as my CF card. It took longer to scan for my AP even with power save turned off, compared to power save turned on with my CF. Once connection is established, signal strength is the same - no improvement

Back to the bright side tho, the card looks much better because the metal part of the card does not stick out, only the plastic antennae does. The color and texture of said plastic is incredibly similar to the J728's lower body; the thing looks integrated instead of add-on. The only nit-pick is that the markings on the antennae is upside down when inserted into the slot on the left

I will be testing this "in the fields". I bring my J with me anywhere any time, even if I don't get to use it. The thicker therefore more durable card gives me better peace of mind when literally flinging the bag around with the device inside. I'll see if the scanning problem is bad enough for me to go back to the CF card. Meanwhile my avatar doesn't change

I took some pictures of both cards. (altho my Smartphone cam is crap in dark area...) Enjoy.

(Cam0045.jpg)

(Cam0046.jpg)

(Cam0047.jpg)

(Cam0048.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cam0045.jpg (41KB - 38 downloads)
Attachments Cam0046.jpg (38KB - 33 downloads)
Attachments Cam0047.jpg (38KB - 35 downloads)
Attachments Cam0048.jpg (44KB - 38 downloads)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 8:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Tak, Good for you!

Regarding the card not needing to be asked a driver name, did u uninstall the previous driver first? Also, did you delete the driver entry in the registry? Granted, if the name of the driver dlls are exactly the same, there is no diff.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12