x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hydroking, didn't you see my post (2005-02-24 3:14 AM)?
i gave you a link where you can find the mips version for your intermec.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 7:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

vjurkas: sorry, if it was a stupid question, being a newbie to VPN. i can't find in the program (movianVPN) where i can specify the server to connect to, and the login. so i thought i'd need a policy..
i hope you can help or should i try the other vpn client?

thanks!
 Top of the page
hydroking Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 10:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanx, cmonex

I just noticed your post this afternoon. I'll see if that copy installs for me, and I'll compare it to VPN-1.

I'll let you know how I make out.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 1:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I must still have the manual vor version 3. Connecting to a server, creating policy... everything should be described. If you need it I can try to find it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi hydroking,

i hope it'll work!
curious to hear about the comparison!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi vjurkas,

i have the manual too and it says i need a policy. there's a built-in list of them but can't figure out which one to use...
but if there's another way, i'd be grateful for your help!
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 11:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am not sure if we are talking about the same manual (I have found mine). If you go to page 24 (Step 3: ....., till page 78) it is explained step-by-step how to create policy for a certain kind of Gateway/Server. On page 25 you can find an empty table that needs to be filled by your network administrator.

Maybe you rather explain what exactly you wanted to do with a VPN client. Connect to your company? Remotely connect to your home computer?

Edited by vjurkas 2005-02-25 11:30 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi,

thanks for taking the trouble to find your manual it seems i have almost the same manual. but they're talking only about their built-in policies.
i would like to remotely connect to my computer (got no company ). maybe i'll need it at an university too where it's required for wifi access (why not just wep??).

Edited by cmonex 2005-02-25 4:07 PM
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 3:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am not sure that I can help you directly. Maybe one of the other members can.

When using VPN you need two different ends. On one end a client must be installed (e.g. Movian, VPN-1, SmartPass...) on the other end - usually central location - a Gateway or VPN server is needed. There are (at least) two types of VPNs. First group is based on standard protocols (Movian - IPSec, I think that VPN-1 is the same type) where a standard Gateway , e.g. Cisco router can be used on central location. The other type is proprietary solutions. In such case you need the server and the client both from the same vendor. There's an interesting article about handheld VPNs:

http://www.pocketpccity.com/articles/2004/12/2004-12-6-Handheld-Security-Part.html

I was in contact with NetMotion (from their web pages I could conclude that a standard protocol is supported) who told me that they have a proprietary solution - don't waste your time on them unless you have a business case. They are willing to give you a trial for both: client and server side.

I am not aware of any open source or free VPN Gateway. There is one, in fact, but no PDA clients (yet). A challenge for you to do the portation ?

Maybe cou can find a small router on the market that has built-in VPN Gateway capabilities. I don't know such a product but maybe other members do. This could be a solution for you. I am sorry that i can not give you a better answer.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 8:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You need to know which of the three protocols you are using. They are not necessarily interoperable on legacy or proprietary servers.

PPTP
L2TP
IPSec

Don't mix and match. PPTP is the most simple of the group.
 Top of the page
Fred
Fred Page Icon Posted 2005-03-05 4:28 AM
#
I talked with Worldnet21 and all you do is email to them and they send to you a version to test. They are also releasing new versions in March called anthaVPN "Secured by Certicom" and this looks very cool and supports all the new HP devices including 6315 and 6340 check out there web site www.anthavpn.com
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.267 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12