x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

frank84
frank84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 8:36 PM
#
I am considering buying it..

mostly for my classes..

Buying a laptop is too much for me right now,
will Jornada handle the class notes?

is it comfortable to type?

as I was looking around, i couldn't find any NEW ones, obviously it was discontinued...

so, is it SAFE to buy the refurbished ones??

... money is very important to me..

thank you in advance.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 9:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Welcome. I just ordered one myself. From TigerDirect.Com. Runs $120 + Shipping. They tell me it has a 3 month Warranty. Havent received mine as of yet. Should see it on Tuesday the 22nd. Kind of Anxious myself.
Keyboard? I think its nice to have. Had a Jornada before. Cant remember the model number. Found it hard to use the Stylus to type.
Notes? I would reccomend getting a CF card for the extra capacity. As I understand it, These have the slot. Just underneath a cover on the bottom of the unit.
There is a member here. Loose Cannon has one. He says he likes it.
Chris
 Top of the page
exscentric Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 9:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

You might take a look at the nec mobilepro 770, 780 or for a bigger screen the 800, 880. All have a keyboard that is quite useable for touch typing. Do a search for them on ebay for quick information. I have three of them, but like the 880 best. It is larger screen and quite nice for typing.

There are other similar units as well. Vadem Clio and its cousin the Sharp tripad and there is the ibm z50.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 10:55 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

A Jornada will handle plenty of the stuff that you throw at it, except, well - web browsing?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

So far, the 680e is ok for pricing. Since its refurbished condition, it should have pretty good outsides. Though some may have different experiences, usually refurbished should have slightly better grade.

Note that it is a WinCE2.11, so for long term (1~2yrs), if you plan to upgrade with wifi cards etc, and get more apps to run, then the 720 or the MP790 may be better.

I realised for myself that when I start off hunting for one, my needs are really simple, PIMs ... ... ... gee ... what else do I do on it?? oh ya, I use it primarily to store and read suttas in html format. I also have quite a bundle of texts converted to Palm isilo format already, so that had to work. But once I got all these working, then I was like ... "hmmm, there is PIE in here, what if I could also do casual browsing and check my emails?" ... then it (my MP790) starts to wobble under pressure!

PIE4.01 is ok for moderate browsing, but cannot handle javascripts and java applets etc. Just to give you a heads up.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 2:49 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Just a personal opinion I guess, but the Jornada 680's seem to be selling for very little on ebay - why get a 680e?
 Top of the page
exscentric Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just thought of something. If you are looking at them at Tiger Direct I have heard reports that the cf slot is sealed and unuseable. I don't know if this if fact or fiction, you might want to check by phone. There were also supposedly some record buttons missing or something. It may be these were a special order for a corporation or something?????

Top of the page
frank84
frank84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 3:47 AM
#
wow, thank you all...

my budget will be around... $100 to $150 MAX

like i said, i just need it for the note i will be taking.
I will prolly type alot.

no need for wireless internet access or anything..

if i am just able to connect it with my computer and transfer all the .doc files, it's good enough.

i will check out other models one of you mentioned.

I will post updates later....

heck i will just register for the forum

hahah
 Top of the page
frank84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 4:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok..
i checked out the mobilepro 780

the price about the same is the Jornada

now the question is...

which one is better?

I understand that the Jornada comes with the expandable memory slot.

does Mobilepro has the same?

and what is the Major diff. between 680e and 680??

oh and ESCAPEMAX, can you tell me if you get the slot opend once you get it? it will be very helpful

Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 6:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Loose Canon has one. said he had to remove the bottom cover to access the CF slot. The Record buttons were removed as well. The ones on Ebay that are Refurbished? I think they are the same. Seems like they all showed up about the same time. Dont know who actually Refurbished the units. Maybe I can find out once I get it. Should come today. My Lan card (Ebay) was sent on 2/16. First Class USPS, Still waiting for that as well. Maybe today???
Loose Canons has a thread about these units. Look under "Questions about Jornada 680E"
Hope this helps.
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 8:25 AM
#
H/PC Elder

frank84 - 2005-02-22 2:07 AM

ok..
i checked out the mobilepro 780 the price about the same is the Jornada now the question is... which one is better?

I understand that the Jornada comes with the expandable memory slot. does Mobilepro has the same?

and what is the Major diff. between 680e and 680??
oh and ESCAPEMAX, can you tell me if you get the slot opend once you get it? it will be very helpful

Welcome Frank!
The MP780 has both CF and pccard slot, and the CF slot is on the frontside, accessible directly, not on the bottom. The pccard is on the side.

The mobilepros are slightly bigger and heavier, but that translates to a bigger screen and keyboard too. It runs WinCE2.11 as well.

So it depends really on your preference for screen, keyboard size vs weight/physical size.
 Top of the page
frank84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 4:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

just Bid on a 680 at Ebay.

hopefully i win this...

i will post more updates once i get it..

arg, can't wait..

btw, can someone recommend me a nice PC Card Lan Card? no need for wireless
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 6:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I found a 3COM wired Lan for mine on Ebay. It was $5.45 + $9 shipping. His User ID is: ci220-com
Problem is, I paid on 2/13 and am still waiting. H ehas over 2000 on his Feedback. But lately, he has been getting Negatives. So, I dont know if you want to wait to see what happens with mine or check around Ebay.
Chris
 Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 10:49 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Just to help out here too, I haven't actually had time to open the entire case as of yet. But thus far the 680e looks to have every option that the 680 has, with the minor exception of the modem. But like I said I haven't opened up the main case yet so I may find a RJ45 port inside case being hidden just like the voice record buttons and the CF slot... if so I'll be estatic. I am nearly positive it will be there due to the fact that HP shipped them with dialer software... But that could be me being over zealous.

I am currently being moved from the US over to Germany and am on vacation. So I am not sure if I will even get a chance to open up the main case before I leave. If someone else could find a small screw driver I would appreciate it.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 11:47 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Loose Canon, What size are the Torx screws? T6? Trying to find a screwdriver small enough to install the CF. Radio Shack told me to go to Sears. But I know they dont sell ones that small. I'll check another Radio Shack just in case.
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 14