x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Where can I get a NEC Mobilepro 880 backup battery?

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2006-10-12 4:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have googled for some time but cannot find a source to buy a backup battery. Can someone offer me a suggestion? Also, I cannot find a page that tells me how to access the backup battery. ???
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-10-12 6:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You have to disassemble the 880 to replace the battery. Not hard...look here: http://hpcnec.com/cgi-bin/simpleforum.cgi?fid=13&topic_id=1149537364

To replace the battery, I suggest you do it with the 3.0 v lion cell, that way should you ever decide to use the HPC 2000 upgrade rom switch, you'll be all set. The ML2020 is a good replacement found here: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/chem/lith/manglith.htm I would suggest getting the battery with the pins already attached, easier to solder the wires from the old connector to the pins than to a battery itself which can be dangerous.

The original battery is actually 2 Toshiba F6M batteries, no longer made since Toshiba sold out to Sanyo...but Sanyo's replacement part is HF-D4U for the same thing. Very hard to find. Anyway, the series Toshiba batteries are 1.2V each, hence are 2.4V in series. The 3V batteries seem to work fine without stressing the units at all.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-10-12 6:54 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-12 6:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the education, Rich - and cmonex, who mentioned that issue to me earlier, but it didn't sink in how important the extra voltage is to run the 790 ROM. I do get a backup battery icon in the "890's" system tray, though I haven't gotten a low backup battery warning popup. I'll have to do some shopping for one myself. In the meantime, is it dangerous to run the "890" for an hour or so on battery power, with a WiFi card? (I did that last night, and didn't observe any problems.)
 Top of the page
pengyou
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2006-10-13 12:58 PM
#
Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-13 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-10-13 12:15 AM

Thanx for the education, Rich - and cmonex, who mentioned that issue to me earlier, but it didn't sink in how important the extra voltage is to run the 790 ROM. I do get a backup battery icon in the "890's" system tray, though I haven't gotten a low backup battery warning popup. I'll have to do some shopping for one myself. In the meantime, is it dangerous to run the "890" for an hour or so on battery power, with a WiFi card? (I did that last night, and didn't observe any problems.)

well if you're not lucky you'll get constant warnings for some minutes sometime later... just to disappear again for a day or so and the icon will always stay in the tray.
this has nothing to do with wifi or with the main battery though. why would it be dangerous? don't worry.

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-13 3:30 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-10-13 5:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm thinking he is referring to the possibility that his main battery might get so low that he would lose all of his data since he has no useful backup power to maintain the ram integrity. But I believe that the system will shut down before that can happen...or at least it is supposed to.

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-13 5:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That was my primary concern.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-13 6:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-10-13 11:31 PM

That was my primary concern.

oh, i see. no the backup battery isnt low in reality, only the 790 rom thinks so.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-13 9:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Oh - never thought of that. That's encouraging to know.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9