x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can you please help me to get and chang my 690's MAC add.

x-soar Page Icon Posted 2006-10-14 11:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,I am a green greenhand here.
So any suggestion from you may be useful to me.
thank you in advance.

Recently i got a hp690 and now i am trying to use it to surf the net
but our campus's network requires a identification process via
"HuaWei 3com 802.1x Client"
I know it is hopeless to find such a client software for ce not mentioning 2.11

But i hear from someone that PC with exactly the same IP and MAC of an identified computer connected to the same HUB can enter the network freely ,though this two computers could not communicate with each other.
========================
So how can I CHANGE THE MAC Add of my hp690 or at least get the MAC address
========================
Thank you kindly .

Edited by x-soar 2006-10-14 11:19 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-15 9:36 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

your wifi card usually has the mac address written on it, if not, find a wlan router you have access to and check there.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-15 10:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex, 802.1x is not WiFi.

I am going to assume that you are using EAP as the authentication layer in the system. With the 802.1x authentication model, you are not using a hardware/stack based system to authenticate, but instead a software layer that sits on top of the network protocol.

You cannot have two computers with the same MAC operating successfully over a TCP/IP network. On Ethernet cards the MAC's unlike the IP information are installed onto the physical chip of the network adapter when it is manufactured, think of it like the house number and postal code. This information isn't going to change, however it is possible to change the telephone number (the IP address). It is a lot easier when this information is ROM based – as is often the case in Ethernet cards now and is virtually always the case on WiFi adapters.

Of course, as with so many things in computer science, it isn't impossible to spoof the MAC address into believing that the adapter is another device, and as stated this is easier with wireless adapters. You do, however need to do this through open source scripting tools, low level programming or a specific driver interface. I know of none for CE.

Now, what someone has told you about MAC modification, and allowing you to slip onto a network is possible, however it is possible to do it only for unauthenticated networks or PPP connections. EAP and 802.1x was designed to remove the problem - instead of authenticating the adapter, you are authenticating the clients security software and ability to demonstrate beyond all reasonable doubt that you are who you say you are.

You can get you MAC address by looking at the router it is connected to, the ARP cache, or ipconfig will also tell you.

I should also point out that your administrators my see this exercise as nefarious purpose, and you could wind up in a lot of trouble.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-15 11:29 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-10-15 4:14 PM

cmonex, 802.1x is not WiFi.

you like to think i'm as stupid as that..? but no, i just misread it as 802.11, in a hurry always
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2006-10-15 6:11 PM
#
please girls, do not spot themselves with lipstick!
Just kidding
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-15 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what?
 Top of the page
x-soar Page Icon Posted 2006-10-15 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, Thank you C:Amie; Thank you cmonex.
But I forgot to point out that I am using LAN not wLan,that is my fault indeed.
Our campus netcenter use authentication to prevent us from setting up subnet .
This causes a lot of trouble.

That means if you have ten computers in the lab waiting to logon the net ,you have to buy ten accounts for them each. And somthing that i cannt put up with,if you share some folder with other computers in the lab, your computer will be exposed to thousands of other PCs in the campus network .Anyone can view them freely.And each time there is a Virus using system defects to attack, then every PC on the campus would suffer.
I think they just do this for money,and so-called management.
Now we are just suffering ARP attack.The network was very unstable, you may be offline at any time,at any place.I cant play online games,transfer files, even the computer are just in the same lab.

================
I hear from some of my friends on the net. they say they sucessfully break the authentication by forcing the PCs to use the same MAC and IP under a HUB.Once one of the PCs passed the authentication then other PC can logon the net without authentication.(Each of the Pc can not communicate with the other in the sub net.So actualy it is a subnet that doesnt work.) You dont believe it ,nor do I.But we tested that It works indeed.(Of coure that doesnt make sense for PCs in our lab,we have to transfer files and important datas.)It is a little bit same with NAT. Hum?
So in order to pass(or you may say break) the authentication process I have to change MAC and IP.
So, It seems that only XP can alter Its MAC. Then I would modify a PC 's MAC and tell the administrator to refresh the MAC binded to that IP. I cannt put up with that any more I want my HP690 to enjoy the net ASAP.
I wouldn't mind what the MoneyHunters would think.
Are they still part of this Univ. Do they still concern for us? I doubt.

Thank u for telling me how to get the MAC. Thank you!

Edited by x-soar 2006-10-15 9:23 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9