x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Some starter questions for HP Jornada 680e

1 2
stef
stef Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 4:59 PM
#
I thought HP J680e operates with 2.11
with Prof version 3.0
They made changes with CF Slot.
Be careful, it's not operational, but the PCMCIA slot is working though.
Chris, tell me your experience with it, once you get it.
Thanks,
Stef
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 5:16 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Maul - 2005-03-12 11:12 PM

You know whats more annoying than multiple starter threads? The forum members that cry about it, and leave new members with a bad taste in their mouth. If the administrators want to control something on this site, control the whiners that are alienating newcomers! I am also new to this site, and enjoy it very much but this holier than thou "don't waste our time newbie!" attitude is crap. You were all newbies at one time too, so invest in some patience, and keep these forums positive. "Please"

Fine, everyone want my explanation? Look at the old threads. Look a few months back. Notice anything? Threads are not repeated, they are not all on the same topic, and they don't have users that expect everyone to explain the same thing to them that was already done in another thread, because they do not want to search for it.

If you look back in those months, you will see that I was not mean to newbies, because those newbies didn't do the stupid things that many are now! I do not have anything against any of the users on this forum, no one take anything personally unless if I specifically say so. When the users then came about, they did not ask the same questions over, and over, and over again. Yes, when that happens, it is a waste of time. It wastes the time of older members AND the administrators. Just look at how many times we have answered the same questions, or simply replied HCL or support? THAT is what I don't want.

I do want this forum to remain peaceful like it was, but this junk wasn't going on then. I do apologize for a few stupid things that I have said, like the Vancouver one. But what I have said many times is reasonable. If you all stop doing the same stupid things, then I will stop going after trying to keep this forum clean. I am only trying to keep it together, and not have it pile up in junk like the newsgroup. Do you really think I just go after newbies because they are new? We all have to start of somewhere. If you guys follow forum etiquette, then I will do the same. But right now it is not that way. How about everyone starts trying that?

-That includes following what Admins say, and at least taking into account what higher posters say.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 7:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stef - 2005-03-19 4:59 PM

I thought HP J680e operates with 2.11
with Prof version 3.0
They made changes with CF Slot.
Be careful, it's not operational, but the PCMCIA slot is working though.
Chris, tell me your experience with it, once you get it.
Thanks,
Stef

I assume this is directed at me.
Have had mine for about 1 month. No Complaints. Except for the lousy speaker thats built in. Trying to rectify that.
CE 2.11
CF slot? Works fine.
PCMCIA? Had to get an updated DLL to get my Lan working. Nice and quick compared to the Serial connection.
Software? Wish More was avail.
Anything else I am missing?
Chris

Edited by ESCAPEMAX 2005-03-19 7:02 PM
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Becase this thread is one of the few that pops up in a search for "Netgear" I'll post here - the MA401 does not work with the Jornada 680e and the Prism 2.5 driver. The 680e sees tha a card is installed at boot ("Unidentified PCCard Adapter" window) but the Prism Settings app cannot see the card (Unable to connect ... Is it inserted?"

Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 12:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey PS, dont bust a vein there
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 6:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Tipical PS, I think we need a Newbies forum, for people who want awnsers to simple questions, and where us frequent users are there to help not do what PS has to do all the time

Nick

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 7:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

wsanders, did you specify a driver name on the "unidentified adapter" prompt, or just close it. If you closed it, the monitor wont work; no driver is loaded for it to queery.
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So my next question would be - is it asking for the driver name because the driver is unable to identify the card (and thus I guess I am hosed), or do I need to type in the right magic phrase to get the driver to recognize the card? I've tried "PRISMTA", "Netgear MA401" and all possible variations on "Netgear", "Ma-401" , etc thereof.

From other postings, it seems like maybe it is looking for the name of a DLL installed on the HPC and I need to install a registry browser and find it. For the WLS11 it's something like "WLS11.DLL".

I am only fixated on the MA401 because I have one lying around the house to use. I don't want to buy yet another wireless card that may or may not work; I see conflicting posts elsewhere - some got the MA401 to work and some didn't, and no one gives any detail. Naturally, I wonder whether it's worth my while to go out and spend yet more time and money on this thing, or just scrap it and buy a $200 Thinkpad on Ebay that I am a 100% certain will work.

If I ever do get the thing to work, I promise I will post a detailed HOWTO on this for the benefit of all the unfortunates who are snapping up these long-obsolete surplus 680e's, with no idea that, without a fair amount of hacking, are really not much more useful than my trusty $30 Palm Zire unless thay can be enabled for Internet access.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wsanders - 2005-04-08 11:10 AM

So my next question would be - is it asking for the driver name because the driver is unable to identify the card (and thus I guess I am hosed), or do I need to type in the right magic phrase to get the driver to recognize the card? I've tried "PRISMTA", "Netgear MA401" and all possible variations on "Netgear", "Ma-401" , etc thereof.

From other postings, it seems like maybe it is looking for the name of a DLL installed on the HPC and I need to install a registry browser and find it. For the WLS11 it's something like "WLS11.DLL".

Hello wsanders ... yes, that would be the driver name. You may want to just look into the \Windows directory to make sure that the driver file name u point to is valid. And yes, it is usually ###11.dll or something, esp if it is using the same prism chipset as the WLPC11 Compaq wifi card.

Let us know how it goes ya?
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 11:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wa-hoo - WiFi is working. Thanks to Snappy!, C:Amie, bruisedquasar, and anyone else I missed who motivated me to keep trying.

In short - the driver name is PRISMNDS.

I am posting a new thread with the HOWTO of how I did this, and a few remaining lingering question.
 Top of the page
gypsymoth Page Icon Posted 2005-04-12 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Top of the page
Idoru Page Icon Posted 2005-04-13 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

gypsymoth - 2005-04-12 9:13 PM

What a difference it makes having that slot available to use as storage! This should be the first modification that every owner of a surplus 680e should make.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 15