x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Some starter questions for HP Jornada 680e

1 2
uncafe Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi every body, I'm new to here, but it seems to be a nice place!

I love the keyboard of Jornada machines so I decide to buy a 680e, before I place the order, I has a couple of questions:

1. Is the OS on 680e WinCE 3.0 or WinCE 2.* ? Can I run the WinCE 3.0 programs on it?

2. 680E don't have CF slot, but if I use the PC card + CF card adapter + CF card solution will it work?

3. How's the wireless speed of 680e, just wondering if it's very slow then I don't need the wireless network card.

4. How's the connection with PC? Is it convinent or not? Can I use XP to connect with that?

Thank you guys!

Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 9:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I think I can answer some Questions.

1: CE 3.0
2: Does have a CF slot. Just underneath the bottom cover
3: 680E Does Not have a Wireless car or Modem. You'll need a PCMCIA Type II 16 Bit
4:Connect to XP? I dont see why not. When I get mine, I'll find out.
Chris
 Top of the page
uncafe Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 10:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

it seems that 680E don't have a CF slot, only 680 has one.....
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 11:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

1.- 680 hace HPC/pro OS installed, that is CE 2.11 core (about -> system) and no, you can not run many CE3 apps bad luck to you
2.- yes, pcmcia adapter is just a pin translator, hence, no problem.
3.- i have no experience in j680's wifi, but, i cant tell you, j720's speed is very acceptable
4.- conection is achieved either via network, serial or irda, the first one should be your best bet, since serial and irda can only transfer at 115kbps . As stated before, i have no network experience with the 680, but anything should be faster than 155kbps, and yes, activesync 3.8 (the latest version, grab it at downloads in microsoft dot com) is compatible with XP

and some other thing about the 680 and 680E. the difference is just the modem, not the CF slot or any other thing, the only feature missing in 680e is the internal modem. the ones that do not have the CF slot are usually refurbished 680e's, but there could be a 680 without CF slot
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

sorry about the stupid second word in my message, it was meant to be "has", not "hace"
 Top of the page
uncafe
uncafe Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 1:13 AM
#
Thank you for your answer! But I just checked this on the HP Jornada website:

Supported Operating Systems (OS/NOS)

Microsoft (R) Windows Handheld PC Professional Edition (CE 3.0) with Color Support

donno who is right now......
 Top of the page
raven Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 1:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

it really is not CE 3.0, i have a 690 and a 720. When you look at the system it says 3.0 (Core 2.11). The 720 has 3.0 That is why i upgraded to it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 7:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1. Categorically is is Windows CE 2.11. It is the 3.0/3.01 Generation H/PC not CE3. See 'About Windows CE' in the Navigation above

2. The 680e DOES have a CF slot. It is just there are a number of refurbished devices in the marketplace at the moment that has had them blocked up. However the 680e DOES have a CF slot, as do the refurbished ones - just not externally accessible.

3. No different to that of a Wired LAN adapter when you have decent drivers and the thing setup correctly.

4. It's fully XP compatible with ActiveSync 3.5 and above - see the 'Sync Soft' Section in the main navigation. You are limited to 115.2 over Serial / IR, but can LAN sync at LAN speed after one serial sync has been carried out.

Most of the questions you will have are covered here in the support section, or on the forum. Please look around at the documents we have.
 Top of the page
mysticode Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 12:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I purchased a refurb 680e from TigerDirect recently. Just received it yesterday. It does have a CF slot but you have to remove the bottom cover (don't worry - there is a second cover underneath) to get to the slot. I installed a 256 MB CF card and it works fine. The only problem that I am having is I can't seem to get it to connect to the network. I pop in an wired network card (Linksys NP100) the link lights come on, WinCE detected it and installed the NE2000 driver but it can't seem to get an IP from the DHCP server. I haven't tried using a fixed IP yet but I don't expect that to work. I also tried a Linksys WPC11 wireless card and it will get an IP (as seen on the web interface of the wireless router) and then a second later release it and then get it again and release it again, etc until it finally gives up and says that it can't get an IP.
 Top of the page
Rjmsith
Rjmsith Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 1:54 PM
#
Can I replaces a different kind of power supply without using a hp power supply
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 6:45 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Please everyone, cut down on threads like this! If there are already many, many, many threads on starter questions, don't be lazy and start new ones! Go down and find them, then keep them going. We dont need a ton of "starter" threads.
 Top of the page
viper
viper Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 12:40 AM
#
Thanks for the help on the Tiger Jornada 680e.. Got my CF card in and working fine. I use a CF card reader so I am just keeping the false cover on the bottom off.
 Top of the page
Maul
Maul Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 2:12 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-03-08 6:45 PM

Please everyone, cut down on threads like this! If there are already many, many, many threads on starter questions, don't be lazy and start new ones! Go down and find them, then keep them going. We dont need a ton of "starter" threads.

You know whats more annoying than multiple starter threads? The forum members that cry about it, and leave new members with a bad taste in their mouth. If the administrators want to control something on this site, control the whiners that are alienating newcomers! I am also new to this site, and enjoy it very much but this holier than thou "don't waste our time newbie!" attitude is crap. You were all newbies at one time too, so invest in some patience, and keep these forums positive. "Please"
 Top of the page
keith
keith Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 9:10 AM
#
I was just about to order 680e from tiger direct as well, but if I can't get the wifi working, the is no point. Have you had any luck getting the PC wireless card to work?
Thanks,
Keith
keithym53@yahoo.com
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 9:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The question isn't really "the" wifi card, it's "which" wifi card.

People are going for linksys and the like against advice because they prove to be cheap options, however reliability is the reason why we err on the side of caution.
There are adapters that work, but you have to match the specification you need, the WEP etc and be willing to spend time troubleshooting.

The prism chipset is a good chipset, however it is the drivers that let them down. Between linksys releasing known faulty drivers, Netgear releasing a faulty installer and both refusing to fix the installer, you're left with driver hacks and trying to get drivers not for that specific card working against your device.

Unless you are willing to do that and willing to accept the fact that it may not work. We strongly urge people to go for the likes of the more expencive Cisco. The Newer 16-bit Orinoco adapters seem to be getting a lot of good reports also - but you have to be very careful as there are so many varients there.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 12