x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

a service that allows you to check ALL pop mail (gmail too)!!!

1 2
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 10:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

well as many of us know we can't access our gmail accounts from our HPCs... Well I just found a free service that allows you to not only check but send mail from your gmail accounts... I'll be testing it out today and posting back. If you do not want to wait that long you can check it out too at:

www.mail2web.com

they also have a pint sized page located at:

www.mail2web.com/pda
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Gee ... that's good news! Although I got gmail working on my website, it would be good to have this service too! Let's hope they stay in business ... ...
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 7:03 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Mail2Web has been around for a few years, and it's a really good site. They have several other services as well - mail2wap.com providesn their usual email checking service on WAP phones, usenet.mail2web.com gives you free newsgroup access, they have a Jabber-compliant web interface, plus they offer hosted Exchange accounts for $1.99/mo - significantly cheaper than most other hosted Exchange services. This is definitely one site to bookmark.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 8:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why dont you use qmail3 (email client for hpcs) for gmail.
 Top of the page
eagle16nam
eagle16nam Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 9:12 PM
#
G-Mail works fine for me just goto gmail.com and click login anyway if it says uncompatible it works fine ive sent and received email on my jornada 680E running win ce 2.11 fine all from there official website (gmail.com)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

eagle16nam - 2005-02-26 7:12 PM

G-Mail works fine for me just goto gmail.com and click login anyway if it says uncompatible it works fine ive sent and received email on my jornada 680E running win ce 2.11 fine all from there official website (gmail.com)

WOW! Really? And all these using PIE?? hmmm ... how long have you been able to do that? Maybe they updated to have a non javascript version? I haven't tried the main site in a while, maybe I will try tomorrow.

Guys, can others confirm on this? Thx!

I use MP790 with WinCE3.0, PIE4.01 ... which is really wierd that Wince2.11 can work ...

EDIT:
I am really stumped that you managed to get the standard gmail.google.com site to work. Maybe you can share with us how you did it.

The help centre for gmail "Can I access Gmail with my PDA?" below states that
Gmail isn't currently accessible from mobile devices

gmail help

EDIT
Seems like good news ... I stand corrected.
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about_whatsnew.html
Not just any old computer. Actually, yes, any old computer!
Basic HTML view lets you access your Gmail messages from almost any computer running almost any web browser, even old ones (not just IE5.5+, Mozilla, and Safari). Especially great for traveling, since you never know what kind of browser that internet café in Siberia is going to have.

Seems like gmail was recently updated to be accessible from any web browser! Three Cheers for gmail!!

Will try tomorrow and update. Now maybe that should get hotmail and yahoo! to wake up and realise that they need to kick their dev team and management and improve their support for older browsers!

And its really silly isn't it? Considering that hotmail is part of MS, and it does not run proper in their older browser, whereas gmail, a spin of google.com can do it nicely? ... tsk tsk tsk ...

Edited by Snappy! 2005-02-26 10:47 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 3:50 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I like that!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 8:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

And its really silly isn't it? Considering that hotmail is part of MS, and it does not run proper in their older browser, whereas gmail, a spin of google.com can do it nicely? ... tsk tsk tsk ...

Funniest statement ever

Ever been on MS.com with a not IE5.5+ IE version...
Too much proprietary, not enough w3c
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 8:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-02-27 6:14 AM

Funniest statement ever

Ever been on MS.com with a not IE5.5+ IE version...
Too much proprietary, not enough w3c

Well, it only makes me listen in disbelief when billg starts going "M$ is about establishing standards ... blah blah blah ... "

I guess he didn't lie as well. Just that they don't support their own older standards, and his statement was *right* only at a snapshot in time!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm. i just tried and couldn't find that html view on gmail. so it doesn't work on my 720. hmmm. does gmail automatically redirect me if it sees i have an old browser? i tweaked the registry so that ie looks ie 6.0 and the system windows xp. could that be the problem?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I got a feeling that's the case ... our tweaking the PIE' is causing an identity crisis!

if only eagle16nam can confirm his findings ....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes. You should ensure that the device ID's a "Windows NT 5.1 Windows CE" or just "Windows CE"
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh. sad. i'll go and try changing the registry again...
 Top of the page
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 6:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Gmail doesn't work on my Jornada 680 through PIE. It redirects me to a "302 Moved" page, which perhaps is supposed to be the HTML version. It says "the document has moved here", which, when clicked, takes you to basic google.com
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it should... in theory but in practice too!

try deleting the cache in PIE. don't forget to install the 128 bit security update.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.236 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 16