x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which 2.0 device is most highly recommended?

1 2 3
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The value of having a Windows CE 2.0 device - for me - is having one that can run off of AA batteries. Other people might feel otherwise.

From everything I have read about these devices, I think the NEC MobilePro 700 would be the best model. I haven't been able to get my hands on one. But I have read. And it looks like it meets minimal requirements - regarding adequate size keyboard, card slots, etc.

Personally, I have the HP 360lx and the HP Phenom. I haven't gotten to work on the Phenom yet. But neither device really has a good keyboard.

So I vote for the MP 700. What's your vote for?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 10:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I really like my Sharp Mobilon 4100, and do not have the same warm, fuzzy feeling for my Velo1, even though the Velo has the CE 2.0 upgrade and the hard-to-find 8mb RAM chip.

I just looked up the MobilePro 700, and while its two-slot option is great (the Mobilon can only take a PC Card/CF w/ adapter), it's a big, heavy machine and appears to waste a lot of space that could've been used for its screen. The Mobilon, however, is lighter, has smaller specs, and yet appears to own a bigger screen. The keyboard is great, though not as good-looking as the Mobile Pro 700.

Too, my first Mobilon blew out a line of pixels, and apparently, that's a problem with this brand, so I can't recommend it with all my heart.

Jake
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Elite

As usual, it depends what you want in a device. MobilePro 700 looks absolutely great if you want an easily typeable keyboard and something that runs on AA. 750c might be another choice if you want the color screen. One just went for ~$2.50 on eBay, but don't expect that to happen again. If the keyboard isn't so important to you, then there are other options.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 1:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Tough choice. I'd rather have a color 2.0 unit - let's see:

Sharp Mobilon HC-4500/4600: I like my 4500, but the battery life is not the best, and it only has a PCMCIA slot. On the plus side, decent keyboard despite compact size.
HP 620/660LX: I've heard good things about these - the usual HP advantages, good keyboard and long battery life.
Compaq 2010c: Dunno much about these, but I'm sure tenjeangosi can tell you.

Much as I lke my Mobilon, I'd probably recommend one of the HPs.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 1:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, CE Geek, I'll tell about my former Compaq 2010c
Um, personally, I did not like it too much, but it did have alot of RAM, 24 I think, if not 32. A 256Colour screen, but not powered by AAs officially (i think someone made a AA batt pack for it, but I could be wrong).. I dont think this happens in all 2010c's, but mine would make this buzz sound most of the time.. The Keyboard was just bad, not as worse as the Velo, but it was a pain typing on it.. I had lost the AC Adapter for it, but I found one that kinda worked.. It can be upgraded to HPC Pro, though.. It was my first HPC, but I like my HP360LX better than the 2010c... Please note that this is my opinion and experiences with my 2010c, others may like it more, etc..

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-10-22 1:48 PM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Also, if the main value of a CE 2.0 device is that it runs on AA, you might want to consider Mobilepro 770/780/790. The AA adapter pack for these, along with the newest NimH (2400-2600mah) gives 5-6 hours of use with wifi. These devices aren't CE 2.0, but if that's the biggest consideration, a newer OS/design might be helpful.

Edited by isotherm 2006-10-22 2:30 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 2:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

But, how many AAs does the pack require?
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 3:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

isotherm - 2006-10-22 2:29 PM

Also, if the main value of a CE 2.0 device is that it runs on AA, you might want to consider Mobilepro 770/780/790. The AA adapter pack for these, along with the newest NimH (2400-2600mah) gives 5-6 hours of use with wifi. These devices aren't CE 2.0, but if that's the biggest consideration, a newer OS/design might be helpful.

Where do you find the adapter pack? And if Ebay, what search term for it?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm...

first about the colour ones as they've been mentioned, though original posted wants AA's
the nec 750c was the fastest ce 2.0 machine, it has an OK screen, and good keyboard (better than on 700, for me... and the arrows are in the standard format) niceee design.
it has a li-ion battery which lasts surprisingly long on my 750c's at least. after so many years... they have quality cells i'm sure

620lx, can't say it has very long battery life... but again, both the batteries (i got another) last for some hours.
the screen is better on 750c for me, and the 620lx is sooo sluggish doesn't have an excellent keyboard but it isn't bad.

colour version of 810c/2010c, other than the relatively OK screen (when i got it i was really surprised by its quality, but maybe only because it was my first colour ce 2 device ), and nice and lot of software included in ROM (and even some flashrom for backing up PIM to it!), and lots of RAM (for a ce2 device... though the 750c can be upgraded to 32mb too), nothing is good about that machine (2010c if you got lost in this sentence). NiMH battery sucks, slowish machine, design sucks, hinge breaks easily and it is very clunky.

the sharp 4500 (or 4600.. i have 4500 only) is close to the ideal in some respects, nice size (portable), very good keyboard, screen isn't bad, speed is acceptable, but... crap NiMH batteries really.

so if you get a colour ce 2.0 device, make sure it has li-ion batteries.

AA ce 2.0's...

hp 360lx/mc16 is the greyscale version of 620lx, same good and bad points (sloooow), battery is eaten up relatively quickly though or so i've heard. i didn't test the battery life on mine. the backlight is very very cool, white-ish!

compaq 810: same as colour compaq's, just AA, so at least the battery is ok.

sharp 4100: nice good overall! and it isn't too slow just only one slot ... but others told more about this already.

nec 700: excellent if you want a real mobilepro with AA's. can't see any bad points other than maybe the hinge is prone to break after a while or so i heard. the screen is a little harder to read than some other machines, but this is subjective.

lg phenom: touch screen is very prone to die, also it can develop lines... before completely dying, i guess. mine started that recently both of these is a common failure with almost all phenoms (later ones too, though my phenom express is fine, i'd be really close to crying if something happened to it, it is one of my favourites!).
the included software is very decent. the machine is too big overall with a mediocre keyboard.

what else do i have...

casio A20: runs on AA, very very cool design, IMO. otherwise, just a normal ce 2.0 greyscale hpc. keyboard isn't bad at all.

velo 500: runs on AA, really same as velo 1, but better backlight.

phenom ultra: colour ... but has li-ion with a decent battery life, not as good as the others or the batteries don't last so well (less quality cells). the design is a little unoptimized imo, but doesn't look bad, keyboard is absolutely excellent, but the touch screen loves to die, both of my ultras have a dead touch screen by now. but everything is accessible from keyboard..

phenom express: colour again.. ok cheating, my express has the 2.11 upgrade. but these came out with 2.0 originally (though this is rare now, to get one with ce 2.0). this, imo, is one of the best older hpc's ever made, only flaw is the only slot (pcmcia. no cf!)... the battery should last an insane time as it is three cells (!) and li-ion, but one of mine is dead, the other has only about half of its capacity or so... not the best cells, huh? on the old wincecity boards, the first thing people were looking for were a phenom express (or sometimes ultra) battery can be recelled though. and, sadly it has the same 100mhz SH3 the ultra had.
other than that, excellent keyboard (hard to tell which is better, express or ultra.. maybe ultra for me? ), absolutely cool and useful design, OK screen, and it even has a parallel port

oh and a little cheating again, nec mobilepro 400 with ce 2.0 upgrade i have one with beta ce 2.0 (!). it's as small as a ce 1 unit but has 2.0 with all the advantages of that keyboard isn't bad but the ram is very small... and no backlight. (mobilepro 450 can have backlight though)

all in all, for an AA hpc i'd recommend the 4100 if you don't need two slots
and sorry if my sum up's aren't complete, if i left out anything let me know just ask...

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-22 3:58 PM
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

but, cmonex - which one is the best?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

quiche, did you read my last lines?

or if you want to hear about the colour ones let me know

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-22 5:21 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 5:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2006-10-22 1:50 PM

i have one with beta ce 2.0 (!).

You really mean beta, as in non RTM yet CE 2.0? If so, then you have to tell us more .. How did you come across it?

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-10-22 5:23 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 5:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, beta, not rtm'ed... there was a hpcbay listing, about eight phenoms, i got the mobilepro there. there were four mobilepro 400's and four phenoms (the original ce 1.0 version), all were betas used at microsoft. the mobilepro's ran beta ce 2.0, the phenoms beta ce 1.0, i took one of both. what would you like to know?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 5:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hmm, does it seem much different from RTM CE 2.0? What is the build number, and screenshots maybe ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-22 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

7191 on mine. (seller said the other 400's had slightly different build numbers)
will try to get a screenshot.
i don't see much difference from official ce 2.0, unless you count the ram corruption that sometimes occurs when you turn the device on from suspend. and maybe a few stuff is missing, i'll get it out and power it on to see exactly what. oh and it has a cool mercury beta background image.

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-22 5:34 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10