x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mobile pro 780 upgrade

xavi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

Recently I have acquired a mobile pro 780 (the size is great, better that the jornada 7xx), but I would like it to work better than now in order to surf in the net, etc. I have been thinking about an upgrade but I do not know a lot about this stuff.
After searching in a few web pages, I have seen different options and for this reason I may need some help from some of you. These are the options:

1. Upgrade the rom from a jornada 790, is this possible? may i have some problems with the hardaware and software?

2. Migrating from windows CE 2.11 to windows CE 5.0. I have seen it in this web page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcemigrate5/html/wce50conversion-specificmigrationinformation.asp

What is the meaning of "migrating" in this case, changing the OS or what? if this the case how I can do it (I am not an expert in programming) and what about the software.

3. Install a linux OS by using a cf card, but how can I get software like office, internet explore, pdf reader, etc? and would there be any problem with the hardware?

Thanks ,

Xavi
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 6:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1) You mean the MobilePro 790. There are people who have done this successfully with some minor issues. Have a search on the board.

2) This isn't possible, the device doesn't have a flashrom.

3) There are Linux and unix redists for the H/PC, which run ontop of CE effectivly. They come with bundled application options like any linux redist. You can also build the applications from source - assuming you are experienced.
 Top of the page
xavi
xavi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 7:22 PM
#
Thanks for your prompt answer, regarding the first point I am talking about upgrading the MP 780 ROM to the MP 790 ROM.
May it be possible to upgrade or download a windows CE 5.0 into a CF card and use it as a hard drive?
An the last question, Where can I get a linux H/PC OS? (is it free?)

Regards,

Xavi
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 9:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

xavi - 2005-02-24 5:22 PM

Thanks for your prompt answer, regarding the first point I am talking about upgrading the MP 780 ROM to the MP 790 ROM.
May it be possible to upgrade or download a windows CE 5.0 into a CF card and use it as a hard drive?
An the last question, Where can I get a linux H/PC OS? (is it free?)

Regards,

Xavi

From what I know, upgrading to WinCE5.0/4.x is out of the question. Unless a miracle happens ... which is rarely ever ... especially on a HPC!

You can try NetBSD for MobilePros. www.netbsd.org/ports/hpcmips remember that booting into NetBSD wipes out the ram of the MPs, so u better backup your data first. Upon reseting, the MP will revert to factory install.

Search for the thread on "Confession" ... its a thread on NetBSD ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-25 7:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, you said Jornada 790 though

IT isn't possible to do that. This is a PDA device, the rules around upgrading Operatung Systems on the Desktop do not apply to these devices. The OS's are customised for the hardware, and the hardware for the specification.
With mainstream Windows it has a one size fits all approach within the limits of the min and max specifications.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10