x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What I haven't found about Bsquare PHH

moi Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 7:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello all, and thanks in advance for reading!

I need to ask some simple questions regarding the Bsquare PHH, just before I got one. I'm searching through the forum, and there are still some doubts I have with this device. I hope someone with one can check and answer them. Here they come:

WEB BROWSING
> does PIE support web sites like This (Is a radio stream), or better, This one (live audio broadcast) ?

> Will I be able to browse .asp websites? (I can't post examples 'cause all of them are from websites that require authentication)
> Another simple question, the Custom Main Page form Google has a "plug-in" that shows the inbox of gmail... is it visible?
> What about Java? Can PIE see this link, specially the upper right corner, there's some java thingie to introduce codes.
> Google Calendar? Is it supported?

I'm asking all this because there's no way I could achieve these things with the Opera Web browser of my Zaurus, and it's really important.
I would be nice if I can test a Windows CE 4.1 in something like VMWare or Virtual PC to check this. Any resource like this?

BLUETOOTH
> Can I use bluetooth to send file between laptop, the PHH and my mobile phone ?. Anyone using bluetooth... which SD, Like this, a Toshiba BT SD like this , or any other?
> Any chance to support BT handsfree kits like the ones used with mobiles (the PHH is one, right?)

WIFI
> I think everything's been discussed in another thread, but I think I'll get a spectec SDIO which seems to be the smallest. As far as I know, nobody had problems with this SDIO.

GPS
> Great Cmonex was able to install Destinator, with some screen caps proving it was really nice, but I wanted to ask if she or any other user had the chance to use it with a BT gps or a SDIO GPS and how was the experience (the usability). Now I've seen some SDIO GPS with 512Mb that would be nice for that.

MASS STORAGE MEDIA
> Any limitation (apart from the logical, budget) about Gb in SDIO card?

This is what I need to know to buy one of these... now that I realised nobody's selling its unit, neither those of you who have two! one for each hand? , the conclusion I got is that they must be good gadgets.

Thanks for aswering, and for any advices you think I must know.

Regards, Moi
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 7:37 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I doubt PIE will be able to handle streaming media, as it's not a media player
But the right standalone media player should be able to. Something like TCPMP.

You can run Windows CE within an emulator if you get your hands on the software development stuff. But being an x86 emulator, you won't be able to test out any software that doesnt have an x86 version.

If you can get bluetooth to work, you can probably link up to a desktop computer with it. Cell phone would depend on how it expects to be accessed.

It should be able to read any SD card that you can afford in the next few years.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey,

wow you have quite some expectations not saying they can't be met, don't worry. just so much stuff in a single post (again, no problems with that!)

ok about browsing, IE 5.5 is quite capable, but the included flash (5.5) and java (1.1 or maybe some stuff from later specs too), isn't the newest, especially java can't be (flash can be updated to maybe 7.0, didn't try it yet but it would probably work), as that's a little too bloated and hard on the mobile cpu's. the bsquare phh isn't any better or worse with flash and java than any other pda (and better than palm, probably). if you absolutely need full java 1.4.x, then stick to a laptop
if you have less expectations about java, it will be fine.
btw the page you linked to contains javascript not java as far as i can see. IE 5.5 (NOT PIE) will probably handle that quite well, it really is good with javascript, much better than PIE. anyway, i'll test this soon for you!
asp shouldn't be a problem, hpcfactor is full asp and IE 5.5 handles this perfectly. it would still be nice if you could provide any examples, maybe with a test login i can use to test it out.
google calendar, hehe no idea, i'll see that too. does that require AJAX though? maybe it'd need minimo then, i hear that works fine with google ajax stuff. minimo may work on the bsq, i just never tried, it does work on my cenet 4.2 900c, but i found it was slow. IE is better. and opera mobile 8.6... which will soon be available for bsquare too i guess. it (opera) already is available for cenet 4.2 and it is very nice.
anyway you may be able to test all this in a cenet 4.1 emulator, if you can find it... dunno how.

bluetooth: yes, i think socket sdio bt will work. i never tried bt, i don't miss it on the bsq.
no idea about handsfree

wifi: i do have the spectec and it works fine, but if you use WEP you must use copypaste as the WZC settings is a little big buggy and closes too fast, only copypaste will give you enough chances to enter a long WEP key

didn't try a GPS... but any gps should work, they are all comply to standard and just communicate with the navigation software, no additional drivers needed. tomtom should work too in addition.

SD... i'm sure you can use 1GB, i forgot to try the 2GB i got recently, as i use it in another machine but let's see..

and finally... yes i wouldn't want to sell either of my two bsquare phh's... sorry... just too good.. in some aspects better than even the qtek 9000. though if you want to hear the negative points, i can list those too.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 12:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

forgot to mention, netfront 3.0 and 3.3 will also work, these have quite good java vm's too (included with IE on the bsquare is a jeode version, bsquare's jemce)
 Top of the page
moi Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2006-10-24 6:47 PM
wow you have quite some expectations not saying they can't be met, don't worry. just so much stuff in a single post (again, no problems with that!)

I decided to put all the questions I didn't find in a single thread, just in case someone is in my case, or at least, partially . Thanks!

ok about browsing, IE 5.5 is quite capable, but the included flash (5.5) and java (1.1 or maybe some stuff from later specs too), isn't the newest, especially java can't be (flash can be updated to maybe 7.0, didn't try it yet but it would probably work), as that's a little too bloated and hard on the mobile cpu's. the bsquare phh isn't any better or worse with flash and java than any other pda (and better than palm, probably). if you absolutely need full java 1.4.x, then stick to a laptop
if you have less expectations about java, it will be fine.

The websites I use to browse still remain the same since 2002, so maybe I'm a bit lucky about that.

btw the page you linked to contains javascript not java as far as i can see. IE 5.5 (NOT PIE) will probably handle that quite well, it really is good with javascript, much better than PIE. anyway, i'll test this soon for you!

Thank you very much, I didn't know it was possible to install IE 5.5, just thought of PIE... (never happen again!) .
I keep investigating these broadcasts, and I found that they link to an .asx file, that contains three URLs, the third one is this. If I paste the link into WM10 in my pc, it plays the broadcast. Can the WM version of CE 4.1 achieve this? ( I'm not sure, but I read somewhere that the streams need WM9 or later, due to some codec included in WM9). Any madia player has this option?. Sorry but making this work will be perfect, because I can only listen to it while in front of my PC. Being able to connect from the PHH woud be great.

asp shouldn't be a problem, hpcfactor is full asp and IE 5.5 handles this perfectly. it would still be nice if you could provide any examples, maybe with a test login i can use to test it out.

about to send a PM about this last thing

google calendar, hehe no idea, i'll see that too. does that require AJAX though? maybe it'd need minimo then, i hear that works fine with google ajax stuff. minimo may work on the bsq, i just never tried, it does work on my cenet 4.2 900c, but i found it was slow. IE is better. and opera mobile 8.6... which will soon be available for bsquare too i guess. it (opera) already is available for cenet 4.2 and it is very nice.
anyway you may be able to test all this in a cenet 4.1 emulator, if you can find it... dunno how.

bluetooth: yes, i think socket sdio bt will work. i never tried bt, i don't miss it on the bsq.
no idea about handsfree

wifi: i do have the spectec and it works fine, but if you use WEP you must use copypaste as the WZC settings is a little big buggy and closes too fast, only copypaste will give you enough chances to enter a long WEP key

Perfect about the wifi, I just wanted to check that the smallest card I found is usable with the device. BTW, I do assume that your spectec is the black one.

didn't try a GPS... but any gps should work, they are all comply to standard and just communicate with the navigation software, no additional drivers needed. tomtom should work too in addition.

Great, I'll report my tests

SD... i'm sure you can use 1GB, i forgot to try the 2GB i got recently, as i use it in another machine but let's see..

and finally... yes i wouldn't want to sell either of my two bsquare phh's... sorry... just too good.. in some aspects better than even the qtek 9000. though if you want to hear the negative points, i can list those too.

not sure about the negative points, but being honest, maybe I need to know at least the worst (or the two worst)... but please, not many, look at my expectations

Thank you!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey, i tested the sites. the first audio link didn't work but the second link, the live thing (the one you said would be better) did show the playing controls and played some spanish stuff , don't know more than that, i don't know the language
then the audio link you gave that you said played with wmp10... well i clicked on it (after loading this thread in the IE on bsq), and it did open wm player (the spanish stuff above played directly in IE), but then the media player complained about something (seems it didn't like the format). maybe i can get missing codec, i'll try to check for that in platform builder, which does have wm9 codecs. i'll try on cenet 4.2 too to see if that handles it ok (that has wmp9 for sure).
about your PM, i was able to log in fine, and i could see all the menu points after Informacion, "Informe actividad, tablon anuncios, directorio..." not just "Fin CV" but everything else.. (Fin CV itself didn't show first because this last option was above the screen, but when i clicked below it that did bring it into the screen area) didn't experiment too much as i don't know spanish and didn't want to break something anyway, what IE displayed was identical to your jpg. anyway i wonder if the above links could play in tcpmp, or even with wmp with the right codecs. maybe i'll check that, too bad i'm not very good at this stuff, i mean i don't really listen to these things. but experimenting to see if they work was fun

if you tell me where exactly on google to check out the calendar stuff i'll test that too i realyl have no idea about this or the gmail inbox thingie you mentioned... ?

edit: forgot to mention, when i was playing the audio stuff, it sometimes asked me for some network login... i didnt enter anything and that was all.. that repeated a few times.. was a little confusing

yes i have the black spectec the bsq really flies over wlan. (gprs isn't bad either, if i use vodafone HU's compression, which is very good).

if you do get the bsq phh and a gps, i'd be interested to hear about your experiences. as far as i know destinator PN works ok with a gps on the jornada 720, i don't have a gps though so can't test (i just use these as paper maps, or sometimes to plan routes.. sometimes really better than a paper map )

negative points: the battery is internal and doesn't last very long with the brightness set at full, which is the default. but with a little utility you can lower the brightness and that's usually adequate doubles battery life..
can't think of much else really, this was the only problem i had before getting the utility.
maybe it's also sad that it has no BT or wifi built in but i don't really mind
and ce.net is an advantage for me, i don't like the ppc gui... & cenet is much smarter
 Top of the page
moi Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have no words to thank you . Now I know it will work. As you see, my expectations have been achieved , at least the main ones!. I'll let you know about the GPS when my unit arrives.

Moi.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-24 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cool, glad to hear i could help if you do get the bsquare, i'll check for the codecs stuff.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10