x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is NS/Basic for HPCs?

CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-10-25 8:35 PM
#
NS/Basic looks really cool, and I like some of the programs that people have made using it, but can it be used to make programs for HPCs? I've only seen PPC screenshots.

Also, if the newest version is not for HPCs, then was there ever a past version that was?
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2006-10-25 8:50 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-10-25 8:35 PM

NS/Basic looks really cool, and I like some of the programs that people have made using it, but can it be used to make programs for HPCs? I've only seen PPC screenshots.

Also, if the newest version is not for HPCs, then was there ever a past version that was?

Yes, it works fine on HPCs. The newest version runs on at least 2.11 and higher. There's an earlier version for older machine but I'm not sure exactly what OS versions it supports.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-10-25 9:02 PM
#
Wow, that is cool. Someday when I have a hefty income(Yes, it's really expensive!) I will get a copy, but first I'm going to check out the demo, just to make sure it's worth the crapload of cash.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-10-25 9:33 PM
#

Hey, this looks an awful lot like MS eMbedded Visual Basic...

Which one is better, because I already have eVB...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 4:30 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Some answers to your question are at
http://www.nsbasic.com/ce/info/Comparison.html

NSBasic has the obvious advantage that you can code on the go without requiring a host computer, but the disadvantage that it's not free

I don't really like either of them for serious development, as both require runtime files and compile down to non-native code however nsbasic in my experience is a lot more performant, and has more features. Perhaps my dislike is just snobbishness, I dunno

What are you thinking of writing? I'd still say that the best development environment for HPCs is Embedded Visual C++, either v3 or v4. For compatability, use v3 and develop against the HPC Pro sdk.
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 8:33 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The big advantages that I see of NS/Basic over eVB are that NSB is still under development while eVB hasn't been for several years now. NSBasic is also considerably faster than than eVB and you can code on your H/PC.

The downside is of course the cost. On the positive side NSBasic corp is pretty good about not charging for minor updates and upgrades. I've gotten several version updates for free since my purchase.

Overall I'd say if the cost is a burden than stick with eVB. If you can swing the prices without a lot of pain then by all means NSBasic is the way to go.

As to eVC I've had no luck at all installing it. I even installed a fresh virtual copy of XP and couldn't get it to work right
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 9:20 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What version of EVC were you trying? There's compatibility issues between EVC4 and some SDKs if you don't have the right SP for EVC installed...

I have run it in a virtual environment with no problems.
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 9:43 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

chiark - 2006-10-26 9:20 AM

What version of EVC were you trying? There's compatibility issues between EVC4 and some SDKs if you don't have the right SP for EVC installed...

I have run it in a virtual environment with no problems.

The version down loadable I believe. The embedded Visual Tools version. It would install but much of the interface was blank and creating a new project would fail. I googled the problem but didn't really find a resolution. I figured installing it to a virtual environment would work but had the exact same problem.

I was really just interested in using it to learn a little C. For H/PC programming I'm perfectly happy with NSBasic.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8