x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 690 internal modem

barney77
barney77 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 5:49 PM
#
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have very much enjoyed scouring the pages of advice and information already available.

However, there is one question that I can't find the answer to.

Whilst I'm waiting for my Cisco Aironet 350 card to arrive I have a desperate urge to have a go at surfing the net the old fashioned way using the internal modem on my Jornada 690 and a dialup ISP.

The only thing that's stopping me is a remark in the user guide (page 81):

"If you use the HP Jornada 680 or 690, you must use an analog telephone line to connect your modem. Connecting to a digital telephone line can damage your modem."

What does it mean by a digital line? My phone line is a normal UK landline (BT) that is set up for broadband (which passes through those little filter things that you plug into the phone socket). Is this digital?

In short, if I plug my new toy into my phone line, will it blow up?

Thanks

Barney
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 6:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

my jornada modems work fine with the phone line here.. and broadband (adsl) is enabled that's all i know..
 Top of the page
barney77
barney77 Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 6:54 PM
#
Ta cmonex

Crossed my fingers and tried it. Worked fine. Couldn't log in to this forum though annoyingly...

Couldn't get to my yahoo mail account either but I think I've seen that mentioned somewhere else so I'll have a look around.

Barney
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-28 4:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

This is a drawback of Pocket Internet Explorer 3.0 (which is what you have in your 690) - it won't let you log onto secure sites.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-28 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it isnt SSL, it is a bug that prevents PIE to log in the forum and a lot more sites.. CE 2.0 PIE worked fine with that, lol.

sadly as your machine isn't MIPS no alternative browser is available

maybe netfront 3.0 once, if isotherm ever releases a doclist dummy.
 Top of the page
sonkun Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 8:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

barney77 - 2006-10-26 2:49 PM

The only thing that's stopping me is a remark in the user guide (page 81):

"If you use the HP Jornada 680 or 690, you must use an analog telephone line to connect your modem. Connecting to a digital telephone line can damage your modem."

What does it mean by a digital line? My phone line is a normal UK landline (BT) that is set up for broadband (which passes through those little filter things that you plug into the phone socket). Is this digital?

In short, if I plug my new toy into my phone line, will it blow up?

Thanks

Barney

Back in 1999 or 2000 I owned a Japanese Jornada 690, which I sold to a friend. While he did not blow it up, he did fry the modem by plugging it into an ISDN phoneline, which was the prominent high-speed internet line in Japan at the time. I believe this passage in the manual may have been translated from the orginal Japanese text.

Yay, my first post.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 9:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

welcome here

that story is sad

where did you get a japanese 690?!
 Top of the page
sonkun Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 9:16 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex - 2006-10-30 6:20 PM

welcome here

that story is sad

where did you get a japanese 690?!

I purchased the 690 (it might have been a 680, can't remember anymore) in Tokyo. It was a splurge, about Y70,000 total back then. I needed a machine that was really portable to access e-mail, web, write, etc. However, it didn't work out. I could not get e-mail to work at all, so I sold it, and bought a Sony Vaio Picturebook.

I'm getting back into the HPC game soon though, I'm waiting for a Mobilegear HPC I purchased off e-bay.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 10:40 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

yes, "digital" line normally refers to either ISDN, or types of PABX (private access business exchange - the things that offices use, etc) that use digital handsets, though I think they've died a death...

Top of the page
sonkun Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 1:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yes, with ADSL, Cable, T1, etc. there's no point to having an ISDN line anymore.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 9:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sonkun - 2006-10-31 3:16 PM

I purchased the 690 (it might have been a 680, can't remember anymore) in Tokyo. It was a splurge, about Y70,000 total back then. I needed a machine that was really portable to access e-mail, web, write, etc. However, it didn't work out. I could not get e-mail to work at all, so I sold it, and bought a Sony Vaio Picturebook.

I'm getting back into the HPC game soon though, I'm waiting for a Mobilegear HPC I purchased off e-bay.

so you do prefer japanese handhelds did you get the mobilegear (actually a japanese nec 770) off ebay.com? i mightve been bidding against you

...i don't know a word of japanese, but i'm fascinated by the japanese hpc's
 Top of the page
sonkun Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 9:41 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex - 2006-10-31 6:03 PM

so you do prefer japanese handhelds did you get the mobilegear (actually a japanese nec 770) off ebay.com? i mightve been bidding against you

...i don't know a word of japanese, but i'm fascinated by the japanese hpc's

Hah! So you were the one bidding against me. Yes, I won the Mobilegear that was on Ebay, but I've yet to receive the device. The guy hasn't even cashed my check yet, so I'm getting a little anxious.

I do prefer Japanese handhelds, I actually prefer all my devices to be Japanese. Mostly, I need the Japanese text support, and native support in the OS is the easiest to use. In HPC's, I also don't think there's a way to enable Japanese, like in the PocketPC's (nothing that I've read anyway), so I pretty much needed a Japanese HPC. Rather than wait until my next trip to Japan, it was good timing that Mobilegear showed up on ebay. I had to win it!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sonkun - 2006-11-01 3:41 PM

Hah! So you were the one bidding against me. Yes, I won the Mobilegear that was on Ebay, but I've yet to receive the device. The guy hasn't even cashed my check yet, so I'm getting a little anxious.

I do prefer Japanese handhelds, I actually prefer all my devices to be Japanese. Mostly, I need the Japanese text support, and native support in the OS is the easiest to use. In HPC's, I also don't think there's a way to enable Japanese, like in the PocketPC's (nothing that I've read anyway), so I pretty much needed a Japanese HPC. Rather than wait until my next trip to Japan, it was good timing that Mobilegear showed up on ebay. I had to win it!

i'm glad you won it, it'll be more useful to you than to me (as it's just a passion for me). hope you'll get it soon & have fun with it.
btw do you go to japan often? lucky you
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9