x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

hey folks! Yesterday night I had a free time and so started trying to install linux on my HPC. I don't have much experience with Linuxes, but I have Debian installed on my desktop sharing my HD with Windows and MacOS (yes, I installed macos on my desktop PC too! It's the x86 version of it, but, here's not the place to talk about it). So I had everything on my hands to start the game: a 512CF card, a Linux on desktop, a card reader and a great jornada 720 HPC.

I started with the 720degress linux port. I made everything that's explained on their site: make 2 partitions on my CF, the first fat16, the second ext2. Copied the files, bla bla bla, and then run. It worked, but when it finish loading, I couldn't use the HPC keyboard, so I couldn't write anything. It didn't load any GUI too ( I think that 720degress don't have GUI, I'm right?). I used the Kernel 2.6.17 and modules for this kernel.

Then, on this site: http://www.lowlevel.cz/log/pivot/entry.php?id=41 I found more interesting information and got the OPIE image. I used the same kernel for 720 degress and the same modules, but instead of unpacking the 720degress base instalation, I unpacked the OPIE image. It loaded fine and start loading OPIE, but then the screen got totally black and nothing happens.

So I thought: time to start over. Following the instructions of the lowlevel site, I downloaded everything again, formatted my 2 partitions on CF and put the files there. Then I started again and guess what... KERNEL PANIC! aff... It didn't even load anything. It gave me a message like this:

Kernel panic!
VFS: Couldn't mount partition

or something like that, I don't remember exactly.

Then reading the site and following the link, I entered on this site: http://radiolivre.org/darksnow/jornada/ and started over again. I downloaded all files needed there except for the OPIE image that I already have. I unpacked all the files as explained on the site via Konsole but when I tried to unpack the essential base3_0-2.tgz that have some files to put on /dev it gave me a error!! I re-downloaded the file 2 times and it gave me the same error!! So I stoped on the phase "populating /dev" ... =\ ASHH! I don't know what more to do!! I think that I will try to download and unpack this file on my Windows partition and see if it will unpack correctly. Anyone have a sugestion about what I should do?? If it don't work, I think that I will gave up and use the old but still usefull windows ce 3.

thank you guys!

Thiago R. Alves
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 2:25 PM
#
You could try JLime, Linux for the Jornada. See http://jlime.com. The 720 version isnt as advanced as the 680 one, but it is usable.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

humm...and does it have a GUI?? It's OPIE or GPE? How can I install it? It's just unpack the jLime files on the ext2 partition and the linexec ones in FAT16?

thaanx
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 5:22 PM
#
The 7xx version is still under construction, but so far... it has the Opie GUI, partial 'X' support and all the usual Linux stuff. Suspend is a bit patchy (720degrees use the same kernel tweaks for 7xx), but has improvements planned.

Install is simple matter of extraction, or you can wait till we do a full release and use the automatic installer (we need to port it from our 6xx branch, it automates installation).

You would be best asking on the JLime site for further details.

Edited by chazco 2006-10-27 5:23 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 11:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

fine! I tried the jlime one and it, of course, didn't work! It starts the OPIE screen (the first one to do it until now) but it have no touchscreen recognizment. Later I searched on the forums and saw that the jlime can't recognize the j720 touchscreen. But then I look around a little bit more and with some configurations I got OPIE v1.2 working finally with Kernel 2.4.32-j720, a diferent kernel from the jlime version. Now the question is: HOW CAN I INSTALL PROGRAMS on it???? I'm a newbie, but I'm almost sure that I can't install "normal" linux apps on my jornada. Have some site with special HPC linux aplications?? I can get it using apt get?? how?

thanx for all your support...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-10-27 11:39 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

ntware, I am sorry about the problems that you have been having. However, if you want help with the 720degrees distro, it would be best if you post at forums.720degrees.net. It is just by chance that I came across this post - 720degrees is not officially supported here.

I know for a fact that 720degrees can successfully install and run on a 720, with the keyboard working. Did you get the correct files? We have had much confusion, because the main site has the bases in the wrong order.

The correct 2.6 base is here: http://www.720degrees.org/files/720etchbase01.tar.bz2
And the kernel here: http://www.720degrees.org/files/kernelfiles-2.6.17.tar.bz2
And its modules: http://www.720degrees.org/files/modules-2.6.17.tar.bz2

I would suggest that you contact me over messenger, so I can send you the 2.6.18 kernel I compiled two days ago, and a full keyboard map - the one included with the base does work, but lacks special characters.

It sounds like your problem was the accidental install of the wrong base. The keycodes for the 720 keyboard driver changed in kernel 2.6, so any base other than the 2.6 one has an invalid keymap. As well, the other bases lack essential dependencies for kernel 2.6 to work properly, which would explain the rest of your problems. (Populating /dev would probably go forever if you have the wrong setup for kernel 2.6, which is what the old sarge 3.0 base is.)

I hope this helps - you can post back here, now that I am keeping track of the thread. However, for faster support with future problems, please post on our forums.

Chazco: Considering that the 720 install has been put off by the Jlime team to fix bugs on the 680, he would probably do better using our base until a completed version is put out. For new users, anything that is not complete could cause more frustration.

EDIT: ntware: You would actually be surprised by the volume of software your 720 is capable of running. Technically, all open-source Linux programs within its physical capabilities (memory, processor) can run on it. We have run software such as abiword, firefox (only a few have gotten it to work so far, but we will work on it), and other well-known, rather large software. Of course, sticking with light programs is a good idea, and the main problem with graphical software on the 720 is its limited resolution of 640x240 - many programs only shrink down to 640x480. Many window managers have been run successfully and quickly, such as fluxbox, enlightenment (which unfortunately needs right click to work well - another thing that needs work), gnome 1.4 (I am not kidding), wmaker, jwm, and I believe icewm works as well, but the Debian build is a bit screwy.

With 720degrees, which is a Debian arm-based distribution, you can apt-get anything in the repository, and you can be confident that much of what you get will work fine - within reason, of course.

On the touchscreen - unfortunately I do not know much of OPIE's touchscreen calibration, but we have been having problems with tslib (the touchscreen driver for the 720) lately. Our calibrater does not run with it; perhaps OPIE is having similar problems. I have already gotten xtscal (the calibrater) to compile successfully on my 720, and will get tslib to compile soon as well. Once I have that down, I'll start playing with the driver, and see if I can find any obvious problems - xtscal will be checked as well.

As another solution, you could also use our Sarge base, for kernel 2.4. That not only supports sound, but its touchscreen works, so you can use whatever light window manager that runs. The screen driver is not as good in the console, but there seems to be no difference in X. Suspend also works to a degree, (slows down the processor and shuts off the screen) more than in 2.6. It does lack the automatic screen shutoff 2.6 supports, however.

The Sarge base is here: http://www.720degrees.org/files/720degrees-debian-sarge-base.tar.bz2
And you can get the kernel here: http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/jornada-7xx/linux-2.4.32-j720/

Or contact me for my custom compile of the 2.4 kernel.

Once again: Sorry for the confusion, our site will be replaced with a wiki soon, so I can edit it when necessary to fix these little organization problems that send new users in every direction. The touchscreen bug should hopefully be worked out soon, and an improved base with the better keymap, better utilities, and finer touches will be released.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-10-28 12:10 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-10-28 12:43 AM
#
H/PC Elite

wow! thank you for the great answer!! I'm adding u to my MSN now...we can chat there and so u'll explain to me how can I get stuff working on this *** linux! =]] thank you guys for your hard work! I still believe in linux...it can be the HPC salvation
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-10-28 3:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, I built a good 2.4 kernel for you, and it should support your prism-based card. I was actually impressed this time - the 2.4.33 patch was excellent. Tell me if the text is white.

It will be at ftp://programsynth.homelinux.net/kernel2433.tar.gz - but you will probably have to message me to turn on the ftp server.

Extract the modules to the /lib/modules directory as root, and copy the zimage to \Storage Card.

Then edit your params.txt to say:

\Storage Card\zimage
\Storage Card\initrd-2.4.33.3.gz

Looking at that initrd (2.4.33.3.gz), it looks like I built a slightly different version (2.4.33). I'll go ahead and compile 2.4.33.3... *sigh*

EDIT: Ok, done.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-10-28 3:33 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 9:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

heyy....thanks for you great job patching the kernel. Do you think that now the PRISM based card will work just out of the box or I should load some modules first?? I will try this new kernel to see if it really works, BUT I can't find you online on MSN to turn the ftp on!! =I think that if all this stuff works, I will make a "tutorial for newbies" with lots of screenshots to help everyone to get a fine linux runing on their HPC's, with wifi support and a good window manager! Of course that I will ask your help with that!! hahaha =]]
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 4:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, sorry about that. I just moved, and spent two days troubleshooting my DSL connection (it was plugged into the phone out port of the filter.. )

I still do not have ethernet wired through the house for my pc, but I will try to get on msn tomorrow, and get that to you. And yes, prism should be completely supported.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.152 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9