x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What is the best of the Handheld Pro units?

1 2
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2006-10-29 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The Samsung Izzi-Pro is the best of course!

To be honest I haven't really had much experience with other H/PCs, but the Izzi-Pro is smaller than the Jornada 820 and also has a convertible tablet form factor, a near full size keyboard and a VGA screen.

You will undoubtedly have seen this article on the Jupiter Class H/PCs (caution PDF link).
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-29 11:35 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

There was so much greater variety with HPC Pro versus with HP2000. Consider the Hitachi Eplate, the Casio PA-2400W, the Jornada 820, the Vadem Clio, the Intermec 6651, the Fujitsu PenCentra ... this was more variety than had been present with the 2.0 devices and yet also more than at the HP2000 stage. By the time it came to HP2000 - Hitachi, Casio and Vadem had fell out of the running. I know the first two are Japanese and wonder if it had to do with the effects of the Asian economic crisis. Or was it that their HPC Pro models were so difficult for consumers to use.

It seems that only NEC and HP Jornada stuck it out for another couple of rounds - both based on similar design principles of a clamshell keyboard-based unit with small oblong screen.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-10-29 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hitachi and Casio didn't fall out of the running just in the overseas market. The Asian market was and is full bloom and always changing. They had HPC 2000 for the domestic market and more software support too.

Example: Sharp Telios HC 7000 aka Intermec 6651, they supported that computer even after the let Intermec take over and just recently finally pulled the plug on it. I posted their website showing their last support.

S/F,
CeyA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-10-30 12:36 AM
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-29 11:54 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, ZSX. That is a good article - but there was more to Jupiter than clamshell handhelds.

Ceya - I guess Americans want it easy with their toys. Handhelds too complicated for your average American who can barely figure out a laptop. I know people who have Apples because they think Windows is too complicated!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 12:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the input on the Izzi Pro, ZSX - I've been looking for one myself on eBay for months - ever since that bulk buy that I wish I'd bid on.

Re: my grayscale Pocket PC and MP3s:

cmonex - 2006-10-29 2:45 PM

maybe they tried to be cost effective there it is so uncommon for a ce3 device to have greyscale

You're probably right. But what's really funny is that Compaq put an image viewer on it - and there's just no way that a photograph won't look really strange on a grayscale LCD.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 12:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

No not just American issues, import export issues also. The government set the mindset of limited opportunity with the domestic market.

They sell the technology but as companies take advantage of it, our government shuts them down. Overseas is run til it drops. here camera phones are restrited in alot of plaes, overseas is never a problem.

My NTT DoCoMo Sony FOMA phone 3 yrs ago is still ahead of what we have here.

S/F,
CEYA!

Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 5:15 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Not only camera phones. I had to go to the driver's license bureau, and it was in the courthouse and you had to walk through the security to get there - and they wouldn't let me go through with my Jornada PocketPC, because it is a recording device! So much for freedom in America.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 4:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'll be going on jury duty next month, so I'll test that theory.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

So, CEGeek, which handheld will enjoy the privilege of going into court with you? I don't think they will let you carry your collection of handhelds in there, LOL.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 12:27 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

quiche.. you never give up.. do you?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 4:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Maybe I can get my 728 past security.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oooooh your j728!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 9:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Is hacking programs okay in the jury room?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 9:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sure

actually, i meant quiche finally got her answer! you'd take the 728, not the others
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The reason for the lousy performance on the 820, I believe, has something to do with the fact that it has NO graphics acceleration.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9