x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FS: (US) Two HP Jornada 690s

Jamon Page Icon Posted 2006-10-29 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have 2 HP Jornada 690s for sale. I purchased them from a business that wasn't using them. Both come with a cradle, pen, and power supply. I bought a Tablet PC and no longer need them.

One of them is in excellent condition, the other has an issue where you need to recalibrate often. I've read that this can be fixed by taking it apart and finding where the connection is loose, but I haven't bothered. My plan was to use the one with the poor digitizer connection as a Linux terminal, thus not needing touch input.

The only other thing to note is that the trap door for the Compact Flash is poorly designed on the 690. I ended up taking off a small plastic clip that is supposed to keep it locked in place off the good unit because it kept falling off when I'd open the door. The other one came with a broken clip. The doors still stay closed, but it's not an optimal design.

If anyone is interested you may ask any questions you wish. I can take pictures of anything you request, including the bootup diagnostic tests. Please make offers for either one unit, or both. Internet payment is preferred and I will ship anywhere in the US for free.

Some people like to keep business private, but I'd prefer if people posted their questions/offers in this thread so all can see the progress of the sale.
 Top of the page
Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-10-29 10:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does the compact flash door not stay closed with the plastic clip taken out? Will the door pop open by itself?

Thanks,
 Top of the page
Jamon Page Icon Posted 2006-10-30 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

They both stay closed. Normally there are two protruding clips that slide onto the sides of the door. These get pushed down and underlap a bar of plastic. But each only have one clip, so one side isn't secured. It's not that big of a deal, but could be fixed if you are clever and bothered by it.

I took some pics to help you understand, and in doing so I realized that there is a strip of plastic missing from the one of lesser quality as well as the PC Card mouth flap. It does not get in the way of operation as I have used ethernet PC Cards and Compact Flash in both. I'd think maybe he dropped it except the case looks too good, so I don't know the story there. Maybe he couldn't figure out the strange trap door design, got frustrated, and yanked the PC Card out. We can only guess.

The screen colors/brightness/contrast look slightly different using the default settings. When both contrast and brightness are maximized they end up looking about the same. Perhaps that has something to do with the loose connection causing the digitizer to lose calibration on one of them?

As you can see, they are in relatively good shape. It'd be best if someone were to want both. There are lots of uses, like using the better one as your primary unit, and the other as a JLime shell.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-31 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh they look so nice too bad i can't buy these now. never seen a 690.

btw, don't worry about the different brightness, that depends on the individual unit. that's my experience with plenty of jornada 7xx's also the normal 680 i have is different from the preproduction 680LX.
 Top of the page
Jamon Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I forgot to mention that both also come with a serial cable. One of them had this tiny black box with motor shaped magnets inside that wrap around the cable when clamped. What is that all about?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jamon - 2006-11-24 8:47 PM

I forgot to mention that both also come with a serial cable. One of them had this tiny black box with motor shaped magnets inside that wrap around the cable when clamped. What is that all about?

that box thing doesn't really matter, no worries.
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 2:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Silly question perhaps, but how much are you asking for these machines?
 Top of the page
Jamon Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was hoping people would make offers. We could always do it auction style. Do I hear one dollar?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

two dollars.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 8:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That magnet looking thing is a ferrite core, it is used to filter out rf interferrence. It is a crystaline ceramic type substance.

I bought one a couple years ago, paid nearly $100 for it, but wished I would have held out for the 720 instead at the time. Today the often go on eBay for $75-$100 each depending on condition.

Rich
 Top of the page
Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 9:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Five dollars!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 10:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow i'll sell all my ferrite cores. (got a few on original cables)
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-26 6:53 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jorkapp - 2006-11-25 10:04 PM

Five dollars!

5.50!
 Top of the page
Jamon Page Icon Posted 2006-11-26 10:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Top of the page