x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sigmarion III browser and apps question

Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All,

Earlier today I purchased a new Sigmarion III from someone online . I bought it based solely on specs and aesthetic appeal. I am still a bit unclear on a quite a few things and I was wondering if other Sig III owners could help me with a few things.

According to the specs, the Sigmarion III runs CE .NET 4.1. I think I read somewhere that .NET 4.1 uses Internet Explorer 5.5 instead of IE 6 like on CE .NET 4.2. How well does the IE 5.5 browser perform? Does it handle almost any website out there like IE 6 does or do newer sites cause problems for it? Does it have full Javascript support or a JVM? Would I be better off going with a 3rd part browser like Netfront 3.3 or Opera?

Does the Sig III use the same apps as XScale .NET 4.2 HPCs like the Mobilepro 900c and Netbook Pro or do you use mostly HPC2000 apps? I don't think I've seen much software that specifically mentions .NET 4.1 compatibility...

Thanks in advance for any help!
 Top of the page
Olavius Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 3:02 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yes, IE 5.5 with Javascript (i.e. no JVM) - see another thread in this forum regarding Java for NEC MP900C - this also applies for the Sig3.

I do not see any reason to change the browser to NF or Opera, IE 5.5 works fine for me.

I think you can use most of the XScale 4.2 apps on the Sig3 (may need a little bit of hexediting).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 3:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey, congrats on getting that sig3

it looks very nice, you'll see soon

i can't see any difference between IE 5.5 and 6.0, to be honest. so don't worry about that javascript support is excellent. no jvm unless the OEM includes one, but NTT did not. you can still get a jvm to integrate with IE, jeode or creme i didn't try these on sig3 though, but jeode does work with the IE6.0 on 900c and IE4.0 on hpc2000.
netfront does have a nice java vm as well, you can use that.
opera doesn't work properly yet. that is 4.2 only due to winsock2 issues. wait for isotherm's compatibility layer

there are as many cenet 4.1 apps as cenet 4.2 apps out there which basically means amount of such apps = zero
however you can use the hpc2000 ARM apps, and a lot of pocketpc apps, the latter with hacking. cenet 4.2 differs here, it can run more wm2003 apps than 4.1, and it sometimes doesn't need any hacking at all. only 4.2 is capable of this feat though (due to its excellent built in aygshell)
still, 4.1 is much better with ppc compatibility than hpc2000.
all in all, software availability is quite similar for the sig3 (4.1) and 900c (4.2)(differing only in ppc compatibility).

what you will need to do first thing though: get the hpc version of mfc (armmfc.zip on my site) and drop the dlls into \windows. get the htmlview hack (htmlviewWORKINGpack.zip is the file name on my site though i forgot to link it on the site). this applies to all cenet machines. sig3 specific: install wceloadext as well.
 Top of the page
Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Olavius, I'll take a look at thread about 900C. Actually, I also recently got a Mobilepro 900 and I'm still trying to learn things about it so I think the thread will be helpful for both.

cmonex, thanks once again for all your help. That was exactly what I wanted to know.
Your website is also a great resource for HPC owners. I'm not sure exactly what files I need or what they're for but I'm sure I'll be visiting it a lot once the Sig III arrives Do I just copy the dll's that are applicable to the Sig III to the Windows folder or do I actually need to install/register it with the system?

I think I caught the HPC bug pretty bad... In the past couple of weeks I've picked up a Mobilepro 900 and now the Sig III. I'm about to pick up another Jornada to try Linux on and I've been seriously eyeing the Netbook Pro for the last few days
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 3:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the H/PC abyss.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 4:55 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh my website will be really great only with the next major update (that pc psu still not here ), and with the hacking tutorial

until that some of the readmes in the zips may help. no, no need to register the dlls copy them to the app's local folder, \windows only if you really want to do that.

and congrats on getting the hpc bug
the netbook pro is very nice, just too big for me, so i've not bought the one my friend has for sale (i think still not sold). if you're interested i can ask him if it is still available.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10