x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Good investment

1 2
Q-jornada Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 8:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Good investment

Well im trying to convince some one that a SIGMARION III is a good investment I need help on the convincing part so that’s your jobs pleas help!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-11-01 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Why? Are you trying to sale one?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 7:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sig3 is a good investment because:
- battery life is good, allowing a day's work with 2 batteries (not using WIFI tho)
- Ce.NET is a stable OS (even if it is Japanese on the Sig3)
- screen is a league above the Jornada
- Keyboard is superb
- Hardware is still damn sexy: it's nearly the iPod of the HPC world
- performance is great - this is a responsive system.
Downsides?
- Charger is Japanese voltage, provides 9V at 900mA into a non-standard 3 prong connector (only 2 pins connected). I've yet to find a source for the power connector, but when I do I'll be happier as I can get rid of my 220-240v -> 110V step down transformer.
- Doesn't charge over USB.
- Japanese OS appears in places still, though progress is still being made here

My main use is for note taking using TextMaker, and I can't find anything nearly as good. Also, everyone who sees it wants to know what it is, so it's great for geek pride . Secondary use is Cash Organizer 2000. Both of those apps get used daily.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 7:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i already know that they are a good investment, only problem is that i cannot find one anywhere!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I suppose the other thing is, like cars, these things are never an investment: they'll not appreciate in value, no matter how much we wish otherwise
 Top of the page
Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Jornada 660lx - 2006-11-02 7:54 AM

i already know that they are a good investment, only problem is that i cannot find one anywhere!

Jornada 660lx,

I recently bought a new, unsused Sig III from someone in a private sale but I also found them online at a few places.

Conics.net has some used ones, but they are about $390 or so. The link I gave showed a USD price but sometimes it shows up as Yen (¥46,000).

I saw a couple on eBay a couple days ago for $349 "Buy It Now" price. Just do a search for "Sigmarion". I think the seller even loads the English MUIs for your before shipping them out!

Both Conics and the eBay seller selling the Sig III carry some cool Japanese only PDAs and laptops. I've been wanting one of the Sharp Linux PDAs for ages but I'm always worried about not being able to convert enough of the UI to English or getting apps for it. Seems that isn't much of a problem for the Sig III though
 Top of the page
Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 1:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

chiark - 2006-11-02 10:16 AM

I suppose the other thing is, like cars, these things are never an investment: they'll not appreciate in value, no matter how much we wish otherwise

Well said! I've stopped trying to fool myself into thinking these are investments... They're my toys and I'm proud of it
 Top of the page
Q-jornada Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 6:15 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

You guys are grate
Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2006-11-02 1:34 PM

Sig3 is a good investment because:
- battery life is good, allowing a day's work with 2 batteries (not using WIFI tho)
- Doesn't charge over USB.

hey, dont expect usb to give out 9v to charge these hpc's it's max 500mA@5V, which is enough only for the ppc's.
and the battery life would be great only if it didn't need two batteries for a day's work without wifi. the jornada 728 can do a day on one battery with wifi. that's what i call great battery life, sig3 battery is quite average, not better than a ppc.

Sproing - 2006-11-02 7:38 PM

Both Conics and the eBay seller selling the Sig III carry some cool Japanese only PDAs and laptops. I've been wanting one of the Sharp Linux PDAs for ages but I'm always worried about not being able to convert enough of the UI to English or getting apps for it. Seems that isn't much of a problem for the Sig III though

the zauruses are 100% english. better in this respect than sig3. you can flash an all english OS on them, this is what i did with my C760, the newer ones (maybe with the exception of C3000?) have the english OS too. http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/cacko.html
 Top of the page
Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2006-11-02 10:46 PM

Sproing - 2006-11-02 7:38 PM

the zauruses are 100% english. better in this respect than sig3. you can flash an all english OS on them, this is what i did with my C760, the newer ones (maybe with the exception of C3000?) have the english OS too. http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/cacko.html

Oh man... you HAD to tell me there is a full English OS for the Zauruses didn't you Ignorance is bliss you know

My only excuse not to get one is gone now. If I end up getting a Zaurus (who am I kidding..), I'll be averaging a new toy every week for the past 3 weeks. Sigh.. this is an expensive hobby. Oh well, I guess I'll just not eat for a week or something
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 10:41 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Sproing - 2006-11-03 4:30 PM

Oh man... you HAD to tell me there is a full English OS for the Zauruses didn't you Ignorance is bliss you know

My only excuse not to get one is gone now. If I end up getting a Zaurus (who am I kidding..), I'll be averaging a new toy every week for the past 3 weeks. Sigh.. this is an expensive hobby. Oh well, I guess I'll just not eat for a week or something

sorry for telling you

you'll enjoy the zaurus if you like linux

i don't particularly like linux but the zaurus has some special stuff i like about it. i didn't plan on buying one, but a friend of mine asked me to order one for him, so i did and when it arrived i fell in love with its look so...

be careful, if you get too many cool toys in a short time, you'll not have time to fully enjoy one before the next one arrives
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

without wishing to give the game away, I am writing a Zaurus review. In summary, they're great and the OS is a real step up in certain aspects (and backwards in others) but again I'm not convinced by the form factor (it's too small for real work for me - though others do fantastic stuff with 'em)

Top of the page
gusthy
gusthy Page Icon Posted 2006-11-27 4:46 AM
#
You can buy one in eBay, I bought my Sig3 nowadays. If you search "sigmarion", you will find a company selling Sig3, it was 349 USD + shipping (20 USD) to Hungary.
Also, Conics.net sells it for 46.000 yen.
 Top of the page
gusthy
gusthy Page Icon Posted 2006-11-27 4:57 AM
#
Of course, Z3000 can be fully english, too - you can use cacko (and OpenZ and pdaXrom etc.) on it as well.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-27 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

iirc the zaurus 3000 isn't fully supported by cacko. 760/860/1000/3100/3200 should be fine with it though
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9