x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sproing Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 3:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I came across the Nexio XP40 while looking through the site and after some Google'ing it seems to be a pretty impressive machine. Most of the info out there seems to be just previews of the XP40 dated back to early to mid 2005. It probably should've been released by now, right?

The specs are very impressive:

Windows CE 5.0
PXA270 520Mhz CPU
5" 800x480 TFT
128MB RAM & 128MB ROM
Wifi, Bluetooth and USB
Detachable keyboard (I think)

Does anyone know what happened to the XP40? Was it canned by Samsung before they released it or just delayed?

If the battery life on it was decent then this would definitely be a must-buy for me.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-02 11:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes amazing specs, i almost fainted when reading them but i'm afraid this is vaporware

i heard that accessories are / were on sale in korea, but no one has ever seen a full xp40 for sale.

the battery life would probably be no better than on the s160 i have, with the extended battery attached it isn't bad at all, without it is untolerable for me. the default internal battery is a 1500 mAh@3.7V so you can understand why.. btw i hear the xp40 ext batt is still compatible with the s160
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I believe it was put on hold after a very limited run, although I have no evidence of this. All I found about it was derivative of the stuff on Infosyncworld, which was taken from CeBIT 2005 IIRC. I think a few were made, so I think it's beyond vapourware.

An interesting question could be asked of Frank at WinCESoft.de, given that his GAPI for HPCs works on the platform! I wonder if he's seen one, or has one?

As for battery life, well, that was the killer along with form factor of the XP30 that I had. If they came up with a tablet version of it that had a workable keyboard then wow.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark, how do you mean the form factor was the killer? i really like the form factor (of course don't use it for extended periods of writing.. which for me means 2 mins ) how would a tablet have a keyboard?
and with the extended battery they have a decent battery life.

anyway it could be like the cyberbank majesty... of which very few was sold as well... but i hear they can still bbe ordered directly from the manufacturer. only the 700$ price stopped me (660,000 won).
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I guess I don't see a use for a 5" screen with no real input device - I need a keyboard to make things usable, or at least some way of entering data in bulk. The nexio add on keyboard is at best a bad joke - the wedge they provide to hold the screen up when using the keyboard is daft!

By tablet, I mean something like the keyboards on tablet pcs - something slender that can be permanently attached, perhaps holding the battery, but can be flipped out and used as a keyboard. So it's always with you, not in a separate box, but is unobtrusive when you don't need it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2006-11-03 4:14 PM

I guess I don't see a use for a 5" screen with no real input device - I need a keyboard to make things usable, or at least some way of entering data in bulk. The nexio add on keyboard is at best a bad joke - the wedge they provide to hold the screen up when using the keyboard is daft!

By tablet, I mean something like the keyboards on tablet pcs - something slender that can be permanently attached, perhaps holding the battery, but can be flipped out and used as a keyboard. So it's always with you, not in a separate box, but is unobtrusive when you don't need it.

oh, i see what you mean.

well, the nexio is great if you don't want to do much input on it - and i don't i would never do my irc / IM stuff on it

reread my previous post, i added a few lines to it while you were writing yours
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 11:45 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes, agreed it's a lovely device to read things on, but then again if I wanted just to do that I'd want a better browser too
The cyberbank majesty - and I'd never heard of that - looks like a blackberry that's been eating too much. Still, looks interesting. Funny that the first link I found for it was Hungarian

edit: http://www.cb.co.kr/products/majesty_01.htm

Edited by chiark 2006-11-03 11:49 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 11:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah our biggest hungarian pda site has a description of it, that's how i realized this thing exists. don't compare it to a blackberry - insult
it is like the bsquare phh.

what is the problem with the browser on the nexio? it is faster than the sig3.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

still sucks on some sites, notably using CSS - it's slow...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-03 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2006-11-03 6:03 PM

still sucks on some sites, notably using CSS - it's slow...

know of any better browser? sig3 has the same IE so i'm confused
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9