x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Lextionary vs. MDict

alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 11:11 PM
#
After reading the favorable review for MDict, I downloaded it (along with the Wordnet 2.0 dictionary) and it installed just fine on my Jornada 820. However, it's not quite as useful/elaborate as Lextionary (which also uses a version of Wordnet) was on my Pocket PC. (Yes, I switched camps to the handheld side--I gotta have a keyboard.)

Now, I have Lextionary installed (arm version) on my J820 and it works ... somewhat. All the funky buttons are missing, replaced with what looks like HTML code. I figured my HPC might be missing some PPC font, discovered it was Bookdings, threw that in the FONTS directory. No dice. Threw it in the WINDOWS, still no dice. Threw it in the Lexionary folder and--yep, you guessed it--zero dice.

I can still use Lextionary, but it's a bit harder and less intuitive than it should be. Anybody else have any luck getting it to look right?

Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:52 AM
#
Oops. I forgot to mention my thoughts on MDict.

Itt's fast, it's got lots of potential, and it has a good choice of dictionaries (plus there are some tools on the website for making your own). Better yet, it's free. It's just missing a few of the contextual and semantic doodads that Lextionary offers. In any case, I'm happily using both.

Now, if only someone could port the downloadable Wikipedia to MDict (like they have with Tomeraider)...
 Top of the page
The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 12:23 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I tried to download the Wikipedia that was recommended by your recent review using Windows XP and Active Sync. I can't download this large file to my Jornada 720 storage card. It disconnects before the file is completly downloaded. Has anyone gotten this new version to download and work.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

AS is unreliable with such large files, use a card reader or the totalcommander wince plugin
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 7:19 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

alphacrumb - 2005-02-26 11:11 PM

Now, I have Lextionary installed (arm version) on my J820 and it works ... somewhat. All the funky buttons are missing, replaced with what looks like HTML code. I figured my HPC might be missing some PPC font, discovered it was Bookdings, threw that in the FONTS directory. No dice. Threw it in the WINDOWS, still no dice. Threw it in the Lexionary folder and--yep, you guessed it--zero dice.

I can still use Lextionary, but it's a bit harder and less intuitive than it should be. Anybody else have any luck getting it to look right?

Has anyone ever figured out this problem?
I contacted the developer, but he was no help at all.

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-10-26 7:20 AM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-10-26 7:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Bishop

Activesync is horrible for stuff like this.

If you have access to a CF card reader........just download the file to your desktop PC and then just copy the Wikipedia file over to your CF card.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 18