x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about PC card slot

Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 11:24 PM
#
Hey guys, still working on this WiFi card, but I wanted to run something by you before I buy the card I'm looking at. First off, the card Im looking at is here:

http://www.saveateagle.com/prorclgopcca.html

Secondly, I tested a few PC cards that we had on hand. Without knowing too much about them, I tried a Linksys WPC54G card. What I felt I had learned from that was that if a card is incompatible with a device, as I assume that one is, then the card will get no power. I then tested a 3com Model 3CCFE575BT LAN card. That was a Cardbus card, I already knew that. I just wanted to see if the power would go to it. It did not. Finally, I tested a 3com 56k Model 3CXM756 and had my Jornada completely flip out. It wouldn't even turn on until I pulled all the batteries and let it do a hard reset. Wasn't entirely sure how to interpret that one.

So with that background, the short of what I want to know is: If a card is plugged into the device that isn't compatible with the device, should I expect symptoms like the 56k card or should I expect symptoms like the other two, where the card doesn't get power? I'm trying to decide whether or not the problem is with the PC cards or the PC slot. I don't want to pay for the WiFi card at any price only to find out that for some odd reason my PC card slot doesn't power the cards plugged into it.

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to finally being at the end of this search.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I don't know if this'll help you, but ROOT INC. 3.3V Wireless Module (11Mbps 2.4Ghz DS SS Model No. RZ2002) worked on my H/PC Pro Mobile Gear 2 MC-R520 with the PRISM Wireless driver. Also, with the PRISM Wirelss driver, WLI-CF-S11G (Compact Flash) worked.

I saw somewhere that most Wireless cards use either PRISM or some other company's chipsets...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 8:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Having an adapter load the wrong driver can cause catastrophic system failure. Happened to me frequently when testing supposedly ne2000 compatible cards.
 Top of the page
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:18 PM
#
I guess the gist of what I"m asking is that if I order that card I listed for my Jornada 680e, will I regret my decision later? I would think that putting any PC card in that slot should at least result in that card getting power. But in this case it didn't. I'm trying to get a feel for if the slot is broken or if the incompatible cards just don't get power.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 1:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Then I don't see how we could concievably provide you an answer to your question; unless you're implying that one of us go buy the card and test it out first.

The wpc54g wouldn't power up because it isn't a PC Card, it is a CardBus Card.
The Modem was probably a fluke.

You shouldn't be randomly inserting hardware into the device anway. Unless you specifically know there is Windows CE support for your particular Windows CE version. Don't buy it / try it.
 Top of the page
Dentorin
Dentorin Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 4:35 PM
#
More of a quirky knowledge than a practical experience thing. When I attempted to use the LAN card here that was me being naive, thinking that any old card would work. The LAN was my concern that the first card didn't get power. The modem I believed had a chance, actually. It wasn't random. There was a system to it. I didn't learn about the LAN being cardbus until later. I think I'm going to have to just go the old fashioned way. This card is listed as working with CE devices, and mine more specifically. I've heard good things about it. I'm just going to give it a shot. Thanks for your help.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Dentorin, let us know how it turns out ok?
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I got an ambicom cf card, and either with the pcmcia adapter or plain cf slot in my mp900, (hpc2k) it worked without any hassle.
There are drivers (and util) for ce2.x and higher

info
http://www.ambicom.com/products/wave2net/wl1100c-cf.html

divers (all the way on the bottom)
http://www.ambicom.com/support/driverdownload/ddwl1100x-CF.htm
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8