x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jkOTR people can't believe the HPC can do what it does!!!!

msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 10:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i'm a frequent visitor of jkontherun.com, a website about mobile technology, and i like the material of the website, but the website is mainly focused on Ultra-Portable computers, particularly the Sony U series, so i went to their discussion board and made a post titled, "why i can't buy a U", the gist of the post was that the U doesn't have a keyboard and its battery life sux.

i told them that my jornada has a _touch-typeable_ keyboard and a battery that can last up to 9hours, and they just thought i was lying, claiming that they never recall a PDA with 9hours battery life or a touch-typeable keyboard.

here's the thread: http://forum.jkontherun.com/viewtopic.php?id=54

but you know what, i really wish the jornada had a Win XP like the Sony U

Edited by msafi 2005-02-27 10:48 PM
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-28 1:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

a related story to this,

my classmate, like many people, said when he saw me using the jornada, "i didn't even know they had something like this"

of course he didn't, only few people bought HPCs when they cost almost 1,000.00! if they reintroduce the HPC with lower prices (around $350) it will definitely sell to average consumers.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-28 8:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, HPC is great and all. Unfortunately the OEMs just wanted to squeeze more $$$ from corporate and never intended HPCs for consumers.

Its like in cars. Lets' say a sedan car cost $15k~$20k and an MPV costs $20k~$30k. Both are cars, but have slightly different capacity and capabilities. Then there are the rolls royce, jaguars, ferrari etc and they are targeted at diff market seg. OEMs (and mainly M$) just decided HPC is to be targeted at corp users.

This reminds me of how computers were meant only to be used for scientists, researchers or the military in the early days. If not for some young cowboy's dream to "put a PC on every desktop", PCs might not have proliferated to today's state. Granted, there were also many others who were interested, so I am not accrediting billg to PCs in general ok?

So if there is some folk out there with a dream to "put a HPC in everyone's hand" then maybe it might happen ... one day.
 Top of the page
frank84 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-28 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

gosh, this thread makes me proud to get a Jornada...

ordered 680 for myself.

with a purpose of taking notes in class..

msafi, is it really comfortable typing with it?
 Top of the page
exscentric Page Icon Posted 2005-02-28 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have an 820 and the keyboard is the same as the nec mobilepro 880, very comfy. I type page upon page on my 880 and never have problems.

The mobilepro 770-780 also has a nice size keyboard with smaller size than the 800 series.
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-28 10:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

frank,

i may sound exaggerating, but in fact, the Jornada 720 keyboard (identical to 680's) is sometimes better for touch-typing than a full-size keyboard because it reduces finger travel significantly.

but keep in mind that the jornada's keyboard takes about 2 hours of learning for you to become very effective with it. you're not gonna like it the first time you put your hands on it, but later i assure you, you're gonna love it.

i hope you enjoy your beautiful HPC.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12