x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

hp jornada 680

1 2
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 2:51 AM
#
Hi,

I am a newbie and don't know much about HPCs.
I found a suitably priced jornada 680 and plan to buy it but before I have several questions in mind.
Is it a suitable machine for checking mails, taking notes, internet connection and gps mapping or is it possible to use wifi cards.
Any help will really be appreciated.

Best regards.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 3:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yes to all of those. However, the Web browser isn't the best, and while I can't speak directly to the quality of e-mail clients and GPS drivers in H/PC Pro, I've heard mixed opinions. If you're willing and able to pay a bit more, I'd suggest getting a Jornada 720 instead. It's faster and has a newer version of Windows CE (Handheld PC 2000), and includes a noticeably better version of Pocket Internet Explorer.
 Top of the page
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 4:48 AM
#
Thanks very much CE geek,

I live in Turkey and it's very hard to find CE devices esp. HPCs.
Therefore the 680 I happen to find seems like a good bargain.
By the way as a newcomer I can't really understand what's the deficiencies of 680s internet explorer.
I guess you mean it cannot execute java apps, flash animations and secure apps. etc.

All I expect from 680 ie to properly connect to forums, news pages and etc.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 4:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't get me wrong - the 680 is a nice device too (as you can see below, I have one too), and the prices are pretty low right now. You shouldn't have a problem with news pages and the like, and you can read forums but you can't log onto them with the 680's version of Pocket Internet Explorer. That means you can only visit forums as a guest, and in some forums that prevents you from posting messages there. If you're okay with that, by all means get the 680.
 Top of the page
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 5:15 AM
#
Excuse me for consequently asking questions but I have one more question.
Which wifi cards are compatible with 680, support and tutorials section is definitive but I need to know if nokia d211 card can be operated on 680 with generic drivers.
Here in Turkey nokia wifi cards are abundant so it is a significant part of my decision to buy 680 or not.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 5:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm pretty sure that only works in H/PC 2000 and higher, not in H/PC Pro. But check the Hardware Compatibility List here for others that will work - maybe you'll find one that's also available in Turkey:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 7:49 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

cnycl - 2006-11-10 8:51 AM

Hi,

I am a newbie and don't know much about HPCs.
I found a suitably priced jornada 680 and plan to buy it but before I have several questions in mind.
Is it a suitable machine for checking mails, taking notes, internet connection and gps mapping or is it possible to use wifi cards.
Any help will really be appreciated.

Best regards.

it is just fine for emails, taking notes.. browsing, depend on the sites you visit. gps, i don't think there are serious navigation programs for it but some programs are available. just don't expect tomtom / igo / destinator quality.
wifi is definitely possible, but not the nokia d211. that requires a jornada 720

CE Geek: the nokia is hpc2000 ONLY. not higher
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-10 3:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, that's the only H/PC platform where it's known to work, but I recall seeing a thread or two suggesting it may work in some CE 4.x .net devices. Anyway, doesn't affect cnycl's situation.
 Top of the page
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-11-11 5:26 AM
#
thanks for all replies.
i think I'm going to get one and try another wifi card to connect
wish me luck
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-11 8:56 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-11-10 9:18 PM

Well, that's the only H/PC platform where it's known to work, but I recall seeing a thread or two suggesting it may work in some CE 4.x .net devices.

nope doesn't work on cenet. where and who suggested it may?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-11 6:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't recall the threads. Could be my old brain acting up, but then again, IIRC, the HCL doesn't specifically show it to be incompatible with CE 4.x .net - that column is just left blank.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-11 8:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

blank, maybe, the HCL isn't god

i tried it on cenet, it wouldn't even see the card. (asked for driver name etc crap)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-11 8:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, now we know, I guess.
 Top of the page
cnycl
cnycl Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 1:38 AM
#
Finally got my 680
It's a really neat device
but there is something that I don't understand.
What is maverick external keyboard?
There is an application named maverick associated with external keyboard but I can't figure out how to use it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 6:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like a third-party driver for an external keyboard that the seller probably forgot to uninstall. I suspect you won't be able to do anything with it unless you get hold of the specific hardware.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.359 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 27