x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

REQ(US): MobilePro 900c AA Battery Adapter (Can it be done???)

1 2
Bensawsome Page Icon Posted 2006-11-13 9:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am looking for a Mobilepro 900c AA batery adapter. I am not sure if they make them Though. ??
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-11-13 11:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

They don't make them...
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-13 8:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

what about a J720?
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-11-13 11:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ah! Good question. I am looking for this kind of interest and feedback at a thread of mine. They could be available. The Jornada adapter, if you use the standard battery as a model, could house two AAs and run for about three hours or so under normal conditions. Halve that with Wifi use.

It could be build with the proper motivation, and I'd love that challenge. I don't have the 900 close by, so I can't pull the stats on the battery. The questions are: how much interest is there, what is it worth to you and how long would you be willing to wait? Throw a post up on the thread I linked to above. I'm interested in your interest.

Many thanks,
O'flash

PS
Anyone know the pin-outs on the J and MP's batteries?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 6:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The 900C AA adapter could be built easy enough. Then you could just plug it in the back when your LION battery failed. But if you are going to go that route, then why not just put a jack on the end of a wire and hook it up to motorcycle battery, you could run with wifi for days!

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 7:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oflash - 2006-11-14 5:56 AM

Ah! Good question. I am looking for this kind of interest and feedback at a thread of mine. They could be available. The Jornada adapter, if you use the standard battery as a model, could house two AAs and run for about three hours or so under normal conditions. Halve that with Wifi use.

It could be build with the proper motivation, and I'd love that challenge. I don't have the 900 close by, so I can't pull the stats on the battery. The questions are: how much interest is there, what is it worth to you and how long would you be willing to wait? Throw a post up on the thread I linked to above. I'm interested in your interest.

Many thanks,
O'flash

PS
Anyone know the pin-outs on the J and MP's batteries?

nice idea
about the pin outs, jornada should be no secret... just 3 terminals.. but i have no idea about the nec 900 battery, it looks more complicated. i'll try to get details.
btw the 900 certainly won't run three hours on two AA's, but maybe 4 AA's could fit unlike on the jornada.
anyway, i know someone who's very knowledgeable about this stuff, i was going to ask him to make a sig3 battery charger for me, so i'll ask about this too.

ps.: i hope you got my PM's
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 2:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

my Jornada with WIFI with the current battery lasts 3 hours, is that good?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 3:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's good Macmee...very good really, depending on the current draw of your wifi card during rest and transmit.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'd say that battery doesn't hold full capacity of it any more. a brand new 1500 mAh jornada battery lasts 5 hours with a wifi card (cf) continuously active.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 4:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, I agree with cmonex. Three hours is not bad, but not the best either.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 4:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How would you run a Jornada off of 2 AAs? 2 AAs is 3 volts, or 2.4 if you're using ni-mhs. 2 Li-Ion cells is 7.2v. You'd need about 5 AAs to run the Jornada, unless you plan to use some sort of step-up transformer to further reduce the efficiancy of things.
For the cost and effort I'd rather just rebuild my battery with 2600 mAh cells for 12-14 hours of runtime.
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 5:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Geek and Rich, we could do an Altoids charger for a Jornada, and not worry about making it fit in the battery cove. And, yes, I've over half serious about the Altoids chargers It’s a great way to prototype!

cmonex, thanks as always. I look forward to any information you can supply. I got your PMs and it's been taken care of.

Jax, kid, I don't know what to do with you. Most of the posts you throw up bring up relatively moot points and do so in a negative way. And you whine if no one responds in a few days. A bump is one thing. A my-idea-is-good-and-no-one-recognizes-its-brilliance is something else entirely. We all put up posts that are negative sometimes, but, God, climb into the light would ya?

Jax

unless you plan to use some sort of step-up transformer to further reduce the efficiency of things.

I sourced a MOSFET running 90% efficiency and a three hour run time was conservative for average alkalines or good NiMH rechargeables. Stepping up is a matter the right circuit, not some impossible task.

macmee might have a legitimate use for an adapter. Maybe he's forgetful about charging his J and he works in a battery factory; maybe he wants to use rechargeables and not be at the mercy of batteries that have to be rebuilt. He's allowed to ask. And you're allowed to question it, but, dude, how about considering the legitimacy of someone else's genuine need and/or interest.

I wish you would rebuild your battery and stop talking about rebuilding your battery.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-14 11:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oh thanks a lot...

I was only asking. I hadn't seen any mention of mosfets in the thread, and thought that perhaps the voltage issue had been overlooked. Didn't want anyone spending money and hacking apart a battery only to find that it didn't work.

And the mention of my own battery was to add some perspective to the thread. The cost of AAs can quickly add up, so unless you're in a situation where you absolutly need them or can get them for next to nothing, a rebuilt normal battery would probably be better. The AA holder may be clever, but I doubt it's practical for most.

No need to be a poop. I'm only trying to be helpful.

Edited by Jax184 2006-11-15 12:03 AM
 Top of the page
rlw Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 1:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

oflash - 2006-11-14 5:43 PM
...I sourced a MOSFET running 90% efficiency and a three hour run time was conservative for average alkalines or good NiMH rechargeables. Stepping up is a matter the right circuit, not some impossible task. ...

oflash,

What MOSFET are you looking at? I'm interested in an Altoids charger, too -- maybe use 3 NIMH's, and add a foldout set of ex-garden-light solar cells, too.

RLW
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 6:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2006-11-14 4:03 PM

i'd say that battery doesn't hold full capacity of it any more. a brand new 1500 mAh jornada battery lasts 5 hours with a wifi card (cf) continuously active.

Thanks, How do i get the maximum performance out of my battery?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 32