x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

REQ(US): MobilePro 900c AA Battery Adapter (Can it be done???)

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 8:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oflash - 2006-11-14 11:43 PM

cmonex, thanks as always. I look forward to any information you can supply. I got your PMs and it's been taken care of.

thanks

i'll let you know if i get some information about the batts.

Jax184 - 2006-11-15 5:51 AM

And the mention of my own battery was to add some perspective to the thread. The cost of AAs can quickly add up, so unless you're in a situation where you absolutly need them or can get them for next to nothing, a rebuilt normal battery would probably be better. The AA holder may be clever, but I doubt it's practical for most.

oh i know / read about a lot of people who want AA's there are rechargeable versions as well so it is not very costly.

anyway, 2 nimh AA's with the highest capacity, i.e. 2600 mAh (only rechargeable nimh would be really practical imo), are able to store about 6.2Wh energy, the original 1500 mAh li-ion battery 10.8Wh. not so bad.
of course a rebuilt li-ion battery (2600 mAh) will have three times the capacity of the nimh's 18.7Wh.

the above was about the jornada.. the nec 900 has a 2200 mAh battery by default, 15.84Wh and it still lasts less than the jornada on its original 1500. also the nec 900 has some problem with the suspend time, it'll last 1 week or so... =(however 900c will last 2 weeks) with the 2200mAh. two AA's would be a disaster there. though as i said it could be able to house 4 AA's... that makes it sound a little better.

macmee - 2006-11-15 12:46 PM

cmonex - 2006-11-14 4:03 PM

i'd say that battery doesn't hold full capacity of it any more. a brand new 1500 mAh jornada battery lasts 5 hours with a wifi card (cf) continuously active.

Thanks, How do i get the maximum performance out of my battery?

if it once really lost capacity, you don't have much hope to regain it. maybe recell it
if you want to keep as much of it as possible, don't let it fully discharge too often. a few times a year, that's enough.

Edited by cmonex 2006-11-15 8:19 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 5:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

One question that comes to mind when we talk about using rechargeable AAs to power the Jornada is: Would the standard power supply charge the AAs while they are in the Jornada?

Edited by CE Geek 2006-11-16 5:16 AM
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 7:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

No it wouldn't. You'd have to plug the Jornada into the AC (Or swap in other batteries) to prevent the memory from being erased, then charge the AAs in a standard charger.

Yet again I wonder why you'd want to buy rechargable AAs that give you 5 hours and need an external charger when you could buy li-ions for 14+ hours and charge it in the Jornada.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 10:00 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i don't need rechargeable AA's but believe me many people would love them. they are always available, not proprietary and when needed, you can put in AA's that are available anywhere. some people buy nec mobilepro 700's because they can be taken for hiking in places where you wouldn't have a way to recharge the li-ion battery. true, the nec 700 would still have an advantage, i.e. it can run 30 hours off two AA's, so less pricey.
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 2:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jax184:
No it wouldn't. You'd have to plug the Jornada into the AC (Or swap in other batteries) to prevent the memory from being erased, then charge the AAs in a standard charger.

Yet again I wonder why you'd want to buy rechargeable AAs that give you 5 hours and need an external charger when you could buy li-ions for 14+ hours and charge it in the Jornada.

Yet again. . . ah bollocks, see my earlier post.

"No it wouldn't" is slightly off since yes it could is the right answer. If we're already adding a voltage boost IC, we'd might as well add in a second one to charge with the Jornada's integrated circuitry. We're removing the Li-Ion charging IC; we can replace it with one that charges NiMH. Cmonex, any ideas on those pins yet?

I'd be willing to CAD something together as far as the casing goes. Anyone wants to kick in for components, feel free.

We could apply the same circuitry to other devices, too. Thoughts?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 5:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, Jax is correct in this case, since I was asking if the standard HP power supply would charge the rechargeable AAs. You're talking about building a different power supply.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The battery doesn't contain much hardware outside of the batteries themselves. Making the Jornada charge AA batteries would probably involve motherboard mods.
Have fun with that. Your winning personality won't make many people want to help you.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 5:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Somebody better get the fire extinguisher - I see a flame war coming.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 8:51 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

All this talk about batteries is giving me a head ache

Can I fix my battery somehow without frying my J720 but make the device hast longer then 3 hours?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 11:05 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I was scrolling through this, and just could not wait to see the retort from Jax.

Cmonex: 2600mAh nimh cells give less power than 1500mAh lithiums? Why?

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-11-16 11:06 PM
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 6:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ni-Mh cells are 1.2v. Li-ion is 3.6v. 3x the total watt-hours if the capacity is equal.

As for the person who just wants his battery to work again, you can send it to me and have the cells replaced with new high capacity ones. Or if you're good with a soldering iron you can try it yourself. Just remember that an overheated lithium battery will try to explode, and a lithium fire can't be put out with water.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 7:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-11-17 5:05 AM

Cmonex: 2600mAh nimh cells give less power than 1500mAh lithiums? Why?

yes, 1500 mAh li-ion has more energy, 10.8Wh vs 6.2Wh (ni-mh). 1.5Ah x 7.2V vs 2.6Ah x 2.4V (if we're talking about two cells for both)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 7:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

macmee - 2006-11-17 2:51 AM

All this talk about batteries is giving me a head ache

Can I fix my battery somehow without frying my J720 but make the device hast longer then 3 hours?

yes, if you are confident with soldering, you can recell the battery, batteryspace.com has 2400 or even 2600 mAh cells
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 7:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

alight.. pretend like your talking to a complete n00b with power (witch isn't very far from the truth)

can I take apart my battery and make it work better? what would I need?

(im just concerned I'll get the wrong voltage and fry my poor little Jornada)
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-17 7:46 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You need two Li-Ion cells, size 18650. Get the 2400 mAh or the 2600s if you feel like going all you. The ones with solder tabs already attached will make it easier.

Hold the Jornada's battery in both hands and attempt to twist it apart. There's a good chance the two halves will begin to seperate, at which point you can pull the case completly apart.

Now you can carefully remove the guts of the battery. It's held together with a weak black glue.

Once out, carefully break the leads off the existing cells and solder the new ones in place. Make sure to get the polaity right. You should probably leave the new cells in the fridge overnight before soldering, so that they won't overheat internally so easily.

After that, just glue it all back together and use.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12