x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Synching Contacts

grebee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-13 11:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello:

So far I've been pretty lucky upgrading and bringing along my old Jornada 820 (WIFI, synching over WLAN, etc.). My last upgrade may have done me in for synching "Contacts". Used to have a ME laptop and was able to synch "Contacts" (I think from Outlook 98). Recently upgraded to XP (tired of the ME crashes) and AS 3.8. Now it looks for Outlook Office 2003, which I don't have activated but was installed as preview version. If I buy the Outlook Office 2003 will the synching work OK? What's the difference between Outlook Express, which I have loaded and up-to-date with contacts? Or any other suggestions? Right now I can only synch files in the Jornada folder and AvantGo. Thanks in advance for any help!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-11-13 12:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

While Outlook is deactivated, it will essentially not allow you to write into the PST file, which is why it's causing you problems.

Outlook 2003 will work with XP, will work with ActiveSync 3.8 and consequently will work with HPC Pro.

You can
- Get Outlook 2007, activate, import (hope it all works) and go
- Get Outlook 2003 from a store clearance, activate, import from Outlook Express and go
- Get a cheap version of Outlook XP or 2000 from eBay and do as above
- Go back to Outlook 98 and do as above (although it isn't recommended procedure, it will work, but you must patch it as per our guides: I cannot state what the impact of IE7 is yet)

If you still have your Outlook 98 PST, you can open it up with any version of Outlook, no imports required.

Outlook Express is an end user email client that was thrown into IE4 and got stuck in with Windows from Windows 95 OEM SR2.5 onwards. It has no sharing features, limited security, no corporate server support, no notes, tasks or calendaring - Just Email and Contacts. OLE has no native capability to sync with a Handheld PC, however third party connectors are available to add it, with varying degrees of success - some of them are even pretty good.
OLE has now been retired and replaced with a supposedly completely new app under Vista. Outlook itself is an ongoing project.
 Top of the page
grebee Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks. I'll try the Outlook 2003 route.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 12:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2006-11-13 10:07 AM
Go back to Outlook 98 and do as above (although it isn't recommended procedure, it will work, but you must patch it as per our guides: I cannot state what the impact of IE7 is yet)

I hate to barge in this thread, but, C:Amie, but does Outlook (at least the 98 version) require IE? I could try Outlook 98 under XP with IE7 installed to see if it will work, if that's what you were talking about. I do not use Outlook really anymore, as I installed Windows Live Mail desktop on my XP PC..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 26