x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

audible.com audiobooks on HPC

msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-28 10:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

another great feature that can be added to the HPC is audibleManager from audible.com that allows you to listen to audiobooks.

to download the handheld pc software go here http//www.audible.com/software and look under Pocket PC and Legacy Devices, and see if you can find your system.

few months ago, i downloaded the software but it completely refused to launch, however yesterday i had to try again to see if it would work and it did. it's buggy but entirely functional. i wonder if it would work had it been installed on a clean (hard-reset) HPC.

i'm glad that my J saved me $200 that i was gonna spend on an audible compatible player.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 1:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Casio BE300 enthusiasts use audible and run audible books on BEs no problem. We run them on 133 MIPS processor with a factory installed Casio modified CE 3.0, we modify to run pocket pc software by adding one of three enthusiast written O/E programs that basically add and organize the specific .dll files needed to run pocket pc software.

PDA software is both operating system and processor sensitive. For example, software written to run on CE 3.0 on a MIPS processor is not going to work on CE 3.0 on a StrongArm processor or a Hitachi processor. Have you returned to audible.com and checked to see if there is a version of the player for your specific processor & OS version?
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 8:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

yes i have checked the audible.com for support. but no one wants to support the HPC platform man. they don't think it's that popular.

so i play audible files on my jornada everyday, but i have to put up with the buggy program, and the extreme slow launch (about 15 seconds to open an audible file).

i wish i understood programming technicalities. i would've done so many things.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You may want to look over the site for versions of audible that run on your specific operating system and try them. I would also look for alternative programs to run the audible books.

So we could read ebooks on Casio BE300s, some enthusiasts wrote a few BE readers. We have one that is fantastic. It is called ubook. I use it often. It is one powerful reader and it can be loaded and run from a CF Card. Go to the unbook site and see if there is a version that will run on your handheld. As for an audible book reader, I am searching for an audio text reader, which are plentiful for PCs. Project Gutenberg has digitized more than 20,000 books and they are free to download. I have audio readers that read them through PCs. I'd like to set up BEs to be audio book readers for seniors with failing eye sight.

I am not impressed by computer professionals who are driven only by their perception of current market statistics. The truly interesting and talented people are not driven by such calculus. The BE 300 is an orphan PDA, yet there is a development group that hacked a version of Linux to run on the BE and they are still working on perfecting it, although Casio stopped supporting the BE more than a year ago.

Be patient. Consumer interest in Handhelds is just warming up. Handheld makers like HP and NEC aimed at the enterprise market, so consumers are not aware of the Jornada or NEC option. With used and like-new refurbished units hitting the market now, awareness is changing. I am working right now on getting BE300 enthusiasts interested in these handhelds. As I inform them about the Jornadas ( their practical data input and their present low price) many are showing interest.

As for programming, do not feel it is too late for you or that you need be a full fledged programmer. Mobile devices are much easier to understand and to learn to program that is the case with PCs, since the huge OS & program bloat promoted by the Wintel cartel is impossible with mobile devices. PDA OS & application programs must be basic essentials or they will be too big. Ever notice you have far fewer problems with PDA operations than with PCs (unless you use Linux, a powerful, very stable OS)?

You can teach yourself what you need to know to modify PDA software in less than a year of self-study & trial and error. Afterall, it is an army of highly paid, cushy, work environment, degreed programmers who bring us the joke that is Windows. It is talented, mostly amatuer autodidacts around the world who bring us Linuxs and other Open Source software applications. !960s hippy Timothy Leary did not turn to writing software until he was 52. A burned out psychologist, he nonetheless became a highly successful, independent software author.

Even if you go not get as far as you would like, what do you have to lose? Knowledge is power.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9