x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 720

MaxTakeoff
MaxTakeoff Page Icon Posted 2006-11-20 10:48 AM
#
Hi, I've just purchased an HP Jornada 720 and would really like to run Linux on it but have been having some 'difficulties'. I have a fair amount of experience with Linux on laptops and desktops (mainly Fedora), but can't claim to be an expert.

I first followed the steps at lowlevel.cz and installed the pre-configured Familiar/Opie image that worked nicely but I couldn't get my Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card working. It seemed to be an issue with the driver (unresolved symbol errors when trying modpobe airo_cs), I thought I would try the 720 installation to see whether the drivers were any different.

I had already partitioned the 1GB CF card for the Familiar installation as follows,
/dev/sdb1 10MB Fat
/dev/sdb2 700MB Ext2
/dev/sdb3 290MB Fat (I wanted some space to use in WinCE)

I formatted the partitions using a card reader plugged into the Fedora laptop using mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb2 (and the appropriate command for the fat partitions.

Then I first took the latest 2.4.33 files from http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/jornada-7xx/linux-2.4.33.3-j720-1/ and copied the following to /dev/sdb1,
vmlinuz-2.4.33.3-j720-1
initrd-2.4.33.3.gz
linexec.exe
params.txt (pointing to the files above)

Then I followed the directions on http://720degrees.org/#support and downloaded 720degrees-sarge-r2-base.tar.bz2 and modules-2.4.33.3-j720-1.tar.bz2 and mounted /dev/sdb2 on /media/disk-2 (Fedora's choice). To extract the files I did an su -, then navigated to the download directory and did,
tar -xjvpf 720degrees-sarge-r2-base.tar.bz2 -C /media/disk-2
tar -xjvpf modules-2.4.33.3-j720-1.tar.bz2 -C /media/disk-2

(BTW, it took over an hour to unpack the first file to the CF card, is that normal?, it took that long for the 'working' familiar image to unpack as well)

Then I put the CF card into the HPJ 720 and got a kernel panic during boot up. I knew that the 2.4.31 kernel worked before so I replaced the vmlinuz and initrd files on /dev/sdb1 and updated params.txt but forgot to unpack the relevant modules file. On rebooting I got an error saying that /dev/hda2 had not been mounted for 49,000 days so a check was forced, the check reported errors in the filesystem and recommended running fsck manually. I did that on the 720 and by hooking the CF card up to Fedora and it told me the orphaned thing was fixed but got the exact same error on reboot.

Finally I tried re-formatting the /dev/sdb2 partition and transferring everything again but this time using the 2.4.32 files that were referenced on the 720 site. I got the exact same fsck error.

I have downloaded 720degrees-debian-sarge-base.tar.bz2 and will probably try that tonight.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give you the details. I would really appareciate any help with getting Linux working on the 720 with my 350 wireless card.

Thanks in advance, Stu
 Top of the page
user
user Page Icon Posted 2006-11-20 10:52 AM
#
JLime will be releasing Mongo in a few weeks (hopefully). This should solve most Linux problems (and should have an installer).
 Top of the page
MaxTakeoff
MaxTakeoff Page Icon Posted 2006-11-20 11:10 AM
#
Thanks for the quick response, that sounds promising. While I'm waiting, I might as well try and sort this stuff out, if only to gain a better understanding.
 Top of the page
MaxTakeoff
MaxTakeoff Page Icon Posted 2006-11-21 8:47 AM
#
OK I made some progress last night. I re-formatted my ext2 partition, unpacked 720degrees-debian-sarge-base.tar.bz2 and the 2.4.32 modules and then set up the 10MB Fat partition with 2.4.32 kernel.

When I ran linexec it fell over again with an fsck error and said it was going to reboot but actually shut down (no surprise there). I ran linexec again and this time it actually booted up to the login screen where I was able to set everything up using the base-config new.

What was really cool was that my Cisco 350 card was recognized and started working as soon as I inserted it! I just had to configure it for my network. Then I wasn't sure how to add packages, can I add some Debian Arm repositories and install GPE / X Windows as simply as

apt-get install GPE

I started searching around Google and downloaded the GPE package that I was going to copy to the CF card and check out FTP at the same time but while I was doing that, the 720 suspended and didn't resume properly. It said resuming CPU and PCMCIA on the screen and the cursor was flashing but it was as if the keyboard was locked out.
When rebooting again I got fsck errors again the same as I got before and now I can't get back in again

If I can get back in and I know that my wireless card works, it would be awesome if I could find an mp3 player that can play streams or network files - like xmms although I read somewhere that this is a bit processor intensive for the 720.

Any help with the fsck problem, packages and mp3 player suggestions would be appreciated (also, is there a web browser that works well?). Once I'm up and running, maybe I could help out with testing or something?

Cheers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-21 9:05 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

MaxTakeoff i had the same pcmcia problem. rebooting got stuck at starting pcmcia. strange.

can't help though... just mentioning this - known bug? and i wasn't even using the same package as you.
 Top of the page
MaxTakeoff
MaxTakeoff Page Icon Posted 2006-11-21 9:27 AM
#
The weird thing is that when I got the fsck problem while booting, it suspended and resumed fine.

Do you have to keep rebooting then? Is it possible to leave the Jornada in Linux or do you have to keep booting into it every session?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 2:38 AM
#
I've not heard of this bug before, but i'll notify the JLime developers of it.

You can suspend, but it doesnt last as long as Windows CE, although its not too bad.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 11:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

- Look in the 720degrees forum, for an answer to the fsck problem.

- You have to stop the PCMCIA before suspending, but do not remember how. PS will help.
 Top of the page
MaxTakeoff
MaxTakeoff Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 12:55 PM
#
Sorry if this is a daft question but where is this 720degrees forum?
The 720degrees.org website references this forum,

Support
Discussions regarding 720degrees will be held on the HPCFactor forums for now.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oski - 2006-11-22 5:10 PM

- You have to stop the PCMCIA before suspending, but do not remember how. PS will help.

you mean cardctl eject? that is insane that it can't be done automatically
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 11:21 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ugh.

Ok, I am not even going to try going through this in order. The site has a direct link to forums.720degrees.net , I do not know why you had a problem with that. It referenced this forum ages ago - I will have that removed later.

To eject pcmcia cards in 2.4, use cardctl eject, to insert afterwards, use cardctl insert. Yes, it can be done automatically; it is called downloading the 2.6 base instead. I know the reason why many users got 2.4 is because I compiled the tslib wrong for 2.6, but 2.4 is filled with a lot of problems I no longer want to spend time dealing with. It is deprecated, and that is all I want to say about it. However, I will get a better 2.4 kernel on the site when I can.

MaxTakeoff: It seems that you believe the first FAT partition must be 10mb, and that you have to put an extra FAT partition way after. It is doubtful CE would see the second FAT partition, and you are free to make the first one whatever size you want. Mine is 4mb, yours should be 300mb (according to the amount of space you wanted for CE).

Yes, ext2 is very good at getting errors on cf cards. I just disabled the check for my cf card (I'll try to find something better later), but it seems fsck never really fixes the problem (probably because it keeps happening at the exact same inode). If you had a microdrive, the quick fix would be ext3. However, on the 2.6 kernel, once you actually pass the fsck, it doesn't bother you for a while (like it should), as long as you set the date after the first startup (I would recommend apt-get ntpdate and finding a good timeserver). I see that you were lucky and your problem actually went away...there seems to be many problems with ext2 and the 720. Maybe I will stumble across the reason later. Once again Chazco, there is no reason to notify the Jlime developers. The new kernel which we both use does not have this problem.

As far as the GUI, we made it obvious on the site that we have our own repository, and clear instructions to point yourself there. You can then apt-get xserver-kdrive and get a GUI. GPE and OPIE on the Debian repository are always broken, and we will make our own packages for those later.

For an mp3 player, apt-get mocp or get madplay.

In the future, you would get a much faster reply if you posted on the 720degrees forums. But we might as well continue this thread, as many people seem to be getting involved.

I'm sorry that you had to go through downloading the sarge base, I have been trying to get snickers to remove that disaster off the site since he put it up there (and it did not work at all). Suspend is quickly getting better with 2.6, and I'll fix that ridiculous touchscreen problem as soon as it compiles.

Sorry for this rather unorganized reply, but that is what happens when I enter ten posts into a thread.

And I would like to state that the release of Mongo will not solve a single problem, since we use the exact same kernel. However, this only applies to the 2.6 720degrees base, which already fixes a few of the problems which you have experienced. The installer may fix the ext2 problem, but I am not sure. If fsck continues to bother users, I will just disable it.
 Top of the page
MaxTakeoff
MaxTakeoff Page Icon Posted 2006-11-23 8:41 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser, sorry for missing the forum link.

In case you're interested, CE has no problem seeing the second FAT partition and labels it as 'STORAGE CARD 2'. I didn't think it was a good idea to share working file space with the kernel and critical boot files.

So it sounds like I should ditch the 2.4 kernel and get up to date with 2.6. At least I've learned a few things and hopefully won't have to be as much of a drain on your valuable time I just noticed though that the sound isn't working yet so I will have to struggle on with the 2.4 until that gets straightened out.

I've registered at 720 degrees forum and will use that from now on. I shouldn't have asked that question, it was just laziness on my part. I found the forum within 5 minutes of writing that but got called into a meeting and didn't get chance to update the post.

I apologise for my ignorance, I have spent many frustrating hours googling for information, trying different distributions and waiting for the files to unpack to my CF card. I think that maybe I was a bit over confident having successfully installed several Linux distros on a wide range of old desktops and laptops. Thanks for you help.
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2006-11-23 12:35 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

"And I would like to state that the release of Mongo will not solve a single problem, since we use the exact same kernel. However, this only applies to the 2.6 720degrees base, which already fixes a few of the problems which you have experienced. The installer may fix the ext2 problem, but I am not sure. If fsck continues to bother users, I will just disable it."

OMG first you want to rip out our installer, and now you are after our kernel config
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 5:50 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Max: No problem, it's fine.

OMG first you want to rip out our installer, and now you are after our kernel config

And then you come begging for our tiny clock utility. 12 developers?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 31