x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FS (Resource): Very Cheap Windows CE .net device and more!

1 2
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 4:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you live in the USA, I'm sure you have heard of Black Friday; the day after Thanksgiving where all the big chain stores nationwide open very early in the morning and have some really impressive deals. This Black friday, the Windows CE world is no exception!

Quite a few stores stores are offering these Mitac Mio Digiwalker C310x GPS Navigation devices for $149 after rebates! This is a $450 device with nearly $300 off the normal cost! :0 This device runs Windows CE 4.2 with a 392mhz Samsung S3C2440 processor and, like most such devices, I'm sure its very easy to hack. It comes with an OEM version of Igo and it should be pretty easy to run your own WinCE apps on and use it like an H/PC PDA. No doubt it already has the H/PC shell in ROM like many similar devices. When I get mine, I will be sure to post hacking instructions on HPC:Factor! If anyone wants a CE 4.2 device and does not mind a QVGA resolution and lack of keyboard, this is the chance to get it! Happy hunting!

Here are more detailed system specs specs I found on pdadb.net:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=486
Here is a detailed review of the hardware and of its built in software:
http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/006225.php
Of course a link to the official Mitac page for it:
http://www.miogps.com/US/products_c310xfeatures.htm

Here are all of the stores your can get a Mitac Mio C310x WinCE 4.2 GPS device from on Black Friday:

Circuit City
Mio Digiwalker C310x - $149 (The best deal!)

CompUSA
Mio Digiwalker 310x - $179 (Not the best price but if its the only store in your area, its still a decent deal.)

Staples
Mio Digiwalker C310x - $149 (The best deal!)

Store list obtained from: http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/008356.php

In addition to the devices themselves, you can also get a 1GB SD card from Circuit City for $3 after rebates! So even if you do not want a brand new device, it would be a good idea of pick up some memory for the WinCE device you already have. I did not see any deals on CF cards, though. If anyone does see some, please let me know.

You can see scans of the Black Friday circulars in PDF format for various stores at http://www.bfads.net
If you see any other WinCE related deals I may have missed, please post here!

(mio_c310x_gps_device.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mio_c310x_gps_device.jpg (19KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 4:37 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

cool..

so you'll be getting one of these?!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 4:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

TFGBD - 2006-11-22 1:14 AM
. . . it should be pretty easy to run your own WinCE apps on and use it like an H/PC PDA.

But if it's like the Gizmondo, it doesn't maintain the RAM if you turn it off-off, effectively doing a hard reset. So you can only run apps that work on flash memory, without needing any installation after a "hard reset". Right?
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 5:28 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yeah, that would suck if its like the Gizmondo. However, most of the devices like this do have persistent RAM...so I'm hoping it will. Even if it doesn't, there are ways to make things install by default into a directory on flash rather than install to ram directories like \Windows or \Program Files, etc. Its also possible it could have a volume mounted as root like Windows Mobile 5. CE 4.2 definately supports that as well. Anyone here already have a C310/C310x that they can share some information about?

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 7:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved into hpcBay & title edited - I point out that the site rules stipulate I should have deleted this, so please don't post selling resources outsite of hpcBay. Thank-you.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok, I can now confirm that it can be hacked to run 3rd party software. Someone in this thread on the GPSPassion forums has confirmed that it can be hacked and was even able to run TomTom 6 on it.

The GPSPassion thread:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69673

Some more detailed device specs and corrections to the Pdadb.net specs:
400 MHz CPU / 2 GB Flash ROM / 64 MB RAM / Win CE .NET 4.2 Core / SiRF III

The main difference between the Mio C310 and C310x seems to be the bundled navigation software. The C310 came with Destinator while this new C310x comes with IGO 2006.

PS: Sorry C:Amie. I assumed because I was not actually selling anything that it would be fine in the general CE 4.x/5.0 section. Sorry.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-22 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the thing is for sale for a lot more here. it is called C310 and it has igo.
 Top of the page
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 10:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I'm certainly not going to Staples again. Waited in line outside, get in and ask for the gps. Guy at door points me to the wrong place, search around and eventually ask another guy who tells me to get into another line inside... which is staffed by only one person at the end. Spend an hour in this line only to have the one person tell me they had 10 and were gone within minutes. If the line is moving so slow they should at least announce what has been sold out.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

same stuff here. these places advertising insane discounts usually have only a couple of the item. very deceiving. a simple advice... don't even try to get there after dawn
 Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 12:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yeah circuit city had a nice laptop for 250 and if you look at the fine print on the advertisement it says store has a minimum of 18....they probably had 20.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

jmztaylor - 2006-11-24 12:19 PM

Yeah circuit city had a nice laptop for 250 and if you look at the fine print on the advertisement it says store has a minimum of 18....they probably had 20.

kind like the $99 eMachines PCs CompUSA had this morning... you only got it at that price with activation of a cell phone (very fine and hidden print), otherwise it was $200 more or so.
 Top of the page
strict9 Page Icon Posted 2006-11-24 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just picked up one of these at Circuit City. Drove it around a bit today and am in love with it. I got stuck on a freeway, I76 (TFBGD: I noticed you're from Norristown so I'm sure you know what I'm talkinga bout!) and loved being able to hit 2 buttons, have it get me off the freeway and onto a better road.

Anyway, I'd love to grab a 2gb card and watch divx movies on this, so let me know if anyone has success with that! Also, I wonder if there might be a way to somehow utilize the traffic info in GPS signals even though this device seems programmed not to.

Edited by strict9 2006-11-24 6:05 PM
 Top of the page
stampede_dude Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Woop! I got one ordered coming UPS from Circuit City, I ordered it snowblind and it just keeps getting better and better I plan to mount it in my car too
 Top of the page
vamc.mc Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 11:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

got myself one yesterday at circuit city after standing for 5 hours...did not read anything about the reviews..but just got it for cheap price...today went to pittsburg and tested it in along with one of my friend's Tomtom mobile 910.. and it performed very well....it matched with tom tom for 99.5% and i am very happy with it....
Is there any way that we can hack the device and watch divx videos ??
thanks for the help.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-25 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes it is hackable.. check cenet forum on this site, nag TFGBD and me for info etc...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 17