x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro and Remote Desktop connection

davidallan
davidallan Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 5:28 AM
#
I have been experimenting with RDC on the Pro and found it works very well. I have audio and video (using Youtube as a test), the video is a bit choppy but audio is perfect. I must say winXP looks a lot better than ce 4.2 net on the nbpro screen and accessing drives, files and folders is quite fast.

The connection is to windows xp pro at work however I want to connect mainly to my own home computer which runs xp home.

For some reason I can't get it to connect, it reports a network problem please try later. I have enabled RDC to go through the firewall but it just doesn't connect. Whats interesting is my work computer wont connect to xp home either. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get xp home to allow RDC connection.

Cheers

Allan
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 8:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

bad news, xp home doesn't have rdp server, you need xp pro for that

i read there might be some hack to get rdp server on xp home.. don't know more about that..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 12:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Personally speaking: the hack isn't worth the energy. It's not stable, it breaks other things (non-'welcome' login screen doesn't work properly) and Microsoft will patch it out through Windows Update anyway - plus it's beta code.

Trying to get hold of a cheap copy of XP Pro would be my advice - I know it's financially painful. At least its price will drop now that Longhorn is here.
 Top of the page
davidallan
davidallan Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 2:14 PM
#
Thanks for that saves me going mad wondering if my home computer is working ok. Makes me wonder why Microsoft put a RDC icon on windows when its not propely supported.

Allan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-11-30 2:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Remote Desktop Connection Client - Connects to Terminal servers, which are common in enterprise. If you need to connect to one, it saves you from downloading the client.

Also understand that Remote Assistance is Remote Desktop in disguise
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8