x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC handheld wannabe

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 9:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The PSP wants to play clamshell... arrr.

I have yet to see a PSP in the flesh. Looks like a modern hybrid of the old Sega GameGear and the Nokia NGage
 Top of the page
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 8:38 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

C:Amie - 2005-03-04 7:04 AM

The PSP wants to play clamshell... arrr.

I have yet to see a PSP in the flesh. Looks like a modern hybrid of the old Sega GameGear and the Nokia NGage

Except that, unlike the N-Gage, it doesn't have any GPRS capabilities. They sound rather lame to me. I'd rather use a HPC or PDA with wireless internet to play online games. Then again, I'm not big into video games, so maybe I'm missing the point.
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 11:55 PM
#
Sony's having some horrible Q&A problems with the early first revisions.
For example: twist the PSP ever so slightly and the CD will fly clear out. That can cause some serious problems when trying to play a game.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-03-06 12:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

my friend has a PSP which he got back in December for Christmas. He says he listens MP3s mostly with it with Memory Stick Duo
 Top of the page
raven Page Icon Posted 2005-03-06 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i'm getting a PSP when it launches in the US March 24. My Jornada 720 and PSP are going to be my perfect combo. oh and my 690 can hang around too

Edited by raven 2005-03-06 10:33 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 5:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The PSP is actually quiet good looking in person. It's got a glossy and smooth finish in the front.

One thing funny about the reviews tho. Many commented that the screen was so beautiful etc. But when I checked the spec, the resolution was 480x227 (I think) which would be a lower resolution then the first HPC (480x240)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 6:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

takwu - 2005-03-07 3:20 AM

The PSP is actually quiet good looking in person. It's got a glossy and smooth finish in the front.

One thing funny about the reviews tho. Many commented that the screen was so beautiful etc. But when I checked the spec, the resolution was 480x227 (I think) which would be a lower resolution then the first HPC (480x240)

Well ... the thingie about quality of LCD is kinda the same for back when CRTs were all the rave. IMO, there are two main factors that crucially determine the quality.

1. DPI
2. Pixel separation spacing (PSS?)

DPI kinda determines the well ... dots per inch. In effect, how high a resolution you gonna get, given a fixed physical dimensions. Or how much pixels you gonna squeeze into the tiny space for a HPC or a U50. Higher resolution usually means better quality, though there is a point of no returns, where you cross the bell curve, and users start complaining that they get dizzy squinting at the almost microscopic text!

PSS ... my own term! ... I think there may be an actual term, but I don't know what it it. When I look at my MP790 REAL close, I can see black lines between the pixels. I think its due to older DSTN technology. Whereas on my Sony PEG-SL10 which is a grayscale green-backlight LCD pda, there is no pixel separation at all, much like the newer TFTs.

So eventhough the PSP has lower res than the CE1.0 HPCs, given the more advanced TFT technology, I would not be surprise it looks prettier!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 7:12 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Whatever happened to the whole Nintendo DS pda idea...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 9:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

No idea!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 9:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Another contender for HPCdom ... ?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000750044526/

... At an expected price of $350, it may just succeed, at that. It’s connecting to your home network via Bluetooth and WiFi and sports a nice, large screen at 4.13-inches and 800x480 pixels. It’ll ship in Q3 2005 (yeah!) with the Opera browser and apps for RSS reading, internet radio, media players, PDF reader, and Flash plug-in, with software updates planned in Q1 2006 for VoIP calling and IM (not sure what the deal is on delaying the IM client, but whatevs). The whole thing is based on Debian Linux v2.6 and the Gnome UI (is that the sound of thousands of *NIX geeks rejoicing we hear?)...

Then again, its more like a PPC than HPC ... unless there is a clip-on keyboard that is close to full-size and can turn it into clam shell!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 10:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ehh... 4.13" and wvga? they're crazy.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 11:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-05-25 8:07 AM

ehh... 4.13" and wvga? they're crazy.

well, you can say that again ... but what drew my eye was that again, this is a device with pretty high-end specs, and to be pegged at $350. Adding a built-in keyboard should not cost $400~$500, more like $15~$20 (manufacturing cost). So a clampshell HPC should be around this price as well, me thinks!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 11:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nexio rip-off...
BTW in Hong Kong there are a few used Nexioes up for sale. Still a bit expensive tho.

Edited by takwu 2005-05-25 11:03 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Elder

takwu - 2005-05-25 9:01 PM

Nexio rip-off...
BTW in Hong Kong there are a few used Nexioes up for sale. Still a bit expensive tho.

Come to think of it, you are right ... but then again, don't we all want more folks to rip off good designs, improve on it (like putting in Opera) and give it to the mass by lowering the price-line?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 27