x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Data Evoloution Clio NXT - Is it ever to be?

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 1:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Boy, I am really anxious about actually seeing this device, or at least reading a review! I have always been a fan of the Clio form factor and was pretty excited about the new one that was announced a while back now.

For those that don't know, the Clio NXT from Data Evolution is the updated version of the much-ballyhooed Clio C-1050. The 1050 was a beautiful unit with a unique swingarm attaching the keyboard and screen. This swingarm allowed the screen to be flipped up, like a notebook computer, but would also allow the screen to keep rotating. The result was that the screen could sit on top of the keyboard, allowing the Clio to be used as a tablet as well.

There was a LOT of press about the original Clio and I think there were a lot sold (I don't have any sales figures). Unfortunately, Microsoft became very keen on the PocketPC and ignored the HPC form factor. While certainly not the only one, the Clio HPC got left behind and has not changed since then.

The new version, the Clio NXT, sounds like it is going to be SOME kind of machine. It will have updated hardware, more RAM, SD and CF slots, a bigger screen and built-in WiFi. Sounds YUMMY!

Read More: SmartMobileAssetts.com

Darren Humphries from SmartMobileAssets contacted me to ask what HPC:Factor readers thought of the idea of the Clio NXT.
Do you think that it will happen?
If it does get released do you think it has a place in todays market?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-04 1:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wooa ... C:amie ... did I tell you that your signature plate (pix) is getting cooler by the day? ... very nice.

oh, the NXT? ya, its pretty neat and cool. Why I almost could not stand the wait and get a C-1050 altogether. Too bad some one else wanted it more badly than me and took it away at almost $250 on eBay just recently!!

Me thinks the NXT will rock big time! Given that NEC has pulled out the MP900c ... NXT is about the only other viable HPC left. Of cos there is the WebBook, Psion NetBook, etc ... but the WebBook is not so mainstream and almost not marketed at all, and the NetBook cost an arm and leg.

The pre-order price was fairly decent ... at $799 before 4Feb ... but the release price is $999 (?) I think. I think price is again going to be a show stopper. Maybe they should learn from the other manufacturers and have a Home version to go at $399, a Pro version at $699 and an Enterprise version at $999. Make the corp guys subsidise us!! YEAH!!

Maybe the Pro version have built-in wifi/bt, and the corp package have that plus a docking station with DVD-rom/optical drive or something. Gee ... they should email me for my opinions ... hehehe
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-03-05 4:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i think the new clio will fail. simply because i don't like it.

but then again, i'm a mood swinger...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9