x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Getting on the internet - Jornada 720

Paulfromleeds Page Icon Posted 2006-12-08 8:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I've found the site really interesting and very useful - I bought a Jornada 720 on Ebay, and it came with a Cisco PCM340. Using HPC Factor fora I have been able to reinstall my card, and now the Jornada is associated with my wireless router (Belkin with NTL 8MB connection). It says the connection is excellent, and I have taken off the security from my router (I was using WPA / PSK with my laptop (don't know what it means but there you go).

So my handheld is connected to the router, but when I use IE on the handheld it just says 'a connection with the server could not be established' I looked at the remote networking tab but that seemed all about dialup or IR connections, and on the internet options the connections tab only mentioned autodial and proxy servers.

So am I missing something ? How do I tell IE to use the wireless connection to use the internet ??

Any help would really be gratefull received.

BW

Paul
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-12-08 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i hope neither of the autodial and proxy are ticked.

you don't have to specifically tell IE to use the wlan connection - it is like on your laptop, you don't have to do that there either, the system will recognize the lan / wlan connection and will use that.

the problem must be elsewhere - what is the IP you're actually getting? use vxutil to find out.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-12-08 8:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Two Solutions. If you haven't already soft reset your device, You wont lose any files (Poke the whole on the left of the "Q" key)

the other way..

This post should be in the Handheld 2000 section as that is the OS on a Jornada 72x, Anyways... It may be because of your IP address on your handheld. First, go to another computer plugged into this router and go to
-start
-run
-Type "CMD"
-type "ipconfig"

then find what your "IP ADDRESS" is

Write this down for latter.

Then download this:
http://rapidshare.com/files/6683492/ipaddr.exe.html
and install it on your handheld, once on your handheld open it and find the IP address of your handheld. If it doesn't start with 192 then chances are thats your problem.

Remember that ip you wrote down? change(in your head for now) the last section of numbers to 25 (for example 192.168.0.25) then in your handheld go to
-control panel
-network connections
-find your wireless connection and go to properties
-Click Specify an IP Address

IP address: the ip you have but change the last section to .25
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: (On your home computer go back to the cmd and type ipconfig .Get the Default Gateway from there.

Click Name Servers Tab and type the same thing as Default Gateway for Primary DNS. Leave the rest of the fields there blank. Click ok, Click ok, Click of to "Re-insert your device". Take the card out and put it back in.

Thats what I had to do with my network card

Edited by macmee 2006-12-08 8:51 PM
 Top of the page
Paulfromleeds Page Icon Posted 2006-12-08 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure which link to download, but I did everything that you said. Still doesn't work - (But on teh outlook express thing it just said it couldn't find the mail serevr rather than no connection ?? Progress. I have soft reset etc. etc. But still no joy.

Paul
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-12-08 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What is your handhelds IP Address?
 Top of the page
Paulfromleeds Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

Thanks for the help
Net interface :Cisco wireless LAN Adapter
DHCP enabled :False
IP Address 192.168.2.25
Subnetr mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1

Does this help ??

Paul

Thanks
 Top of the page
Paulfromleeds Page Icon Posted 2006-12-09 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone know - for some reason it all started working - didn't do anything differently -

Thanks so much for the advice and assistance.

Cheers

Paul
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-12-10 3:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Paulfromleeds - 2006-12-09 2:23 PM

Normally, you'd want DHCP enabled, so you don't have to enter a static IP address - DHCP will assign it for you.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2006-12-10 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2006-12-10 4:27 AM

Paulfromleeds - 2006-12-09 2:23 PM

Normally, you'd want DHCP enabled, so you don't have to enter a static IP address - DHCP will assign it for you.

Since his handheld was set up for a Static IP address it changed it to false automaticly.

If you run a Web Server its useful to have a static IP so its easier to do DMZ or Port Forwarding, Or else you would have to change the DMZ or PF settings onece a week when you get a new ip..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 30