x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Aero 800 question

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-12-18 5:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How hard is it to open this thing up and upgrade the sodimm with one with greater memory? Easy chore or not?

And is there any use for this build in smart card programmer?

Rich
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-12-18 6:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Forget it...I took my own advice and read the users guide. Gee whiz that was simple. Popped the keyboard, stuck in the new SO Dimm (just a 32mb one) and also stuck in an internal 32mb CF card (what a great idea that was, like having non-volitile memory in your device) and put it all back together again...total elapsed time: 30 seconds.

I used a 770 back when I was in college, but I think I would have enjoyed this machine even more, even without the touchscreen.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-12-18 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i saw this thread only now, glad you figured it out. no idea about the smartcard reader
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2006-12-19 4:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It is amazing how easy it is to upgrade the memory in the Aero - even for a klutz like me. I upgraded to 32mb, but would like to go to 64mb at some point. I've had a 256mb CF card in the internal slot previously, though it's in my pocket pc right now.

I've done a little bit of looking around re: smart cards. I don't know much about them, but they seem more for corporate applications, where secure access is an issue. It would be interesting to hear if someone has used a smart card in an Aero.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-12-19 6:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Back in the days of F, H, and HU cards, we used smart card readers/writes compatible with ISO 7816 standards to open the cards up to receive all the channels. I can remember getting every single channel, and even later on the local stations to every single major city in the US. I haven't researched this smart card reader yet, but can imagine that there might be software that would make it useful for programming security cards, say for access to hotel doors, or operating controlled equipment, etc, or in this case, limiting access to the HPC to only the person who has the proper card to insert into it.

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-12-19 9:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I assume this is the same kind of slot as in the J72x. I know there was a long thread here about trying to do something with that.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-12-20 8:35 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It sounds easier to bump up the memory on this handheld than on the old Compaq Aero laptop. Or maybe I have to read the instructions too

Note: Compaq Aero started as a small laptop - moved into being a handheld and also a PalmPC (1500 series and 21 series).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 27