x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do you use your hpc?

1 2
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-25 8:30 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I use my NEC MobilePro 900 primarily to keep track of banking and credit card transactions. investment tracking, slide presentations (classroom training), and to maintain a number of small databases on personal stuff.

For a period of about nine months, I have had to rely on my HPC exclusively - I was temporarily without a desktop on account of an inter-city move that turned out to take much much longer than first anticipated. During that period, I used it to send and receive faxes, to surf the internet, to do my banking (not all sites worked but I managed); to send letters, to make ad hoc changes to existing slide presentations ... Frankly, if I set aside the annoyance of the small 640 x 240 screen, I didn't miss my desktop at all. Except for one thing - new software and updates. Not all developers provide CAB files for installation directly onto your HPC, so that was an issue for me, and I was getting quite irritated with some developers who categorically refused to provide me with a password-protected CAB file. Some didn't, some told me "tough, wait till you get your desktop back or go to a public workstation (i.e., municipal library). The latter didn't work, primarily because ActiveSync was not installed and network security prevented from downloading and installing any software.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-25 6:58 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Bravo!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 9:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i use my 728 in a similar way to PS laptop replacement especially when i'm not home (often!). it's *perfect* for that, portability (always carrying a bag with me, so no problems!), instant-on, long battery life - just like running off AC! not like this when using the laptop! my laptop (subnotebook) rarely gets used since i have my jornadas

- primary use is internet, web browsing (not light at all!), irc, msn, icq, and a little email. still couldn't find the perfect mailer - qmail3 has everything except downloading only headers! (if someone found a way for that in qmail3... please tell me ) so inbox is still used to download the emails (except gmail)
- another important task is reading ebooks. i've got around 50 GB of ebooks from the net cheap solution for a book maniac hehe i always wanted something for reading ebooks even when i had no idea about PDA's. now my 728 does this too for me!
- also some productivity things... for example i study on the 728 instead of printing out the materials. i was pleasantly surprised when i found out that my hpc actually helps me even in that..
- PIM: i'm still trying to get used to that. i always forget to note down things, tasks in the 728. maybe a palm or ppc suits this more. or just the old plain paper
- what's left? dictionary, maps, sms writing and archiving, games.
planning on watching some videos, but i did only one movie compression and after that i found out that the subtitle wasn't in place... so... maybe someday

so just about everything

Edited by cmonex 2005-03-27 9:59 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9