x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680 headphone mod

1 2 3
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 3:50 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

My oh my, how people have short memories

ARM may now be synonymous with Intel, but it is still an independent company... and was once a privately owned British company. ARM stood for Acorn RISC Machines and was a project of Acord, back in the time when acorn were making the Archimedes series of computers - nice machines... They changed their name to Advanced RISC Machines and became a separate company.

Their processors were used in the Apple Newton - remember them? - the psion series 5, and all sorts of things, including the Empeg MP3 car player. It's reckoned that 75% of 32bit embedded processors are ARM designs.

DEC worked with ARM to produce the StrongARM design, which got passed to Intel as part of a lawsuit settlement (I'm not sure whether ARM still collects royalties, I guess so...) and begat the XScale chip.

It's all good stuff, and all traceable back to the company that gave us the Atom, BBC B, and the Electron (computer, not particle...)

I used to sell Archimedes stuff in my part time job as a student. RISC OS was pretty nice, but of course not a patch on the Amiga (cue flame war)

Edited by chiark 2005-06-28 3:52 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 58 - Executed queries : 9