x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Using An HP 320 LX As A Mini-Secondary Display

1 2
rdude
rdude Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 1:16 AM
#
I found an old HP 320LX in my closet. If you don't remember these palmtop monsters from back around 1996, it's got a black-and-white screen and is running Windows CE 1.0 on a 44 mHz SH3 processor with 4 MB of RAM. Also, the battery life stinks, so it's just not worth lugging around when I can easily take my Pocket PC or Tablet PC instead.

That said, I figured it would be nice to be able to use it as a secondary display for my computer. A mini-display that would show stuff such as how many new emails I have. And somehow, after several hours of messing around, I got it to work. Anyway, the whole bit, which I don't feel like completely rewriting, is available on my blog.

If anyone's got any questions or wants any help in setting something like this up themselves, feel free to contact me.

Edited by rdude 2005-03-11 1:17 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 2:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

heh that's nice

well you have to use up a serial port... but who cares about serial ports nowadays Since you are serving that page to the public, everyone can tell if you have mail now, muahaha. maybe you can do better formatting and fonts? like center the texts, use diff fonts for diff stuff. You know, get more hits for that page

Ok, back to serious stuff... so you said your Windows is doing a "virtual network", interesting. Can the PC route outer networks to it... in other words can your CE1 device access the internet thru this setup?

You know, once in a while people ask if they can access the internet from their HPC thru their desktop connection. In general the answer is no, ActiveSync only does that for PPC2002 or later. But it sounds like you may have found a general solution, at least for serial connections.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 11:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

An interesting use for CE1. If you get some high rating AA cells the batt life of the 300 series isn't too bad in all honesty.

Takwu, actully you can access the internet over an ActiveSync connection, this outlines the process:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0018.asp
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie
so that works with CE1 too?
in any case, thx for the tip, will try it on my Jornada
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 5:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So long as you have 1.1 installed - 1.0 doesn't have Proxy support.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 9:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-03-11 8:20 AM

You know, once in a while people ask if they can access the internet from their HPC thru their desktop connection. In general the answer is no, ActiveSync only does that for PPC2002 or later. But it sounds like you may have found a general solution, at least for serial connections.

yes, you can. why should you use activesync for net sharing... there are other programs to do it. do a google!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2005-03-11 10:44 AM

An interesting use for CE1. If you get some high rating AA cells the batt life of the 300 series isn't too bad in all honesty.

Takwu, actully you can access the internet over an ActiveSync connection, this outlines the process:

Thanks for that link! I have not received the wifi card yet and I want to connect. still holding my breath.
 Top of the page
rdude
rdude Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 1:41 AM
#
haha yeah, you can tell what i'm listening to and how much email i have (AND what the time is!). i didn't really do formatting and fonts because i just want a text display that i can read easily. you have to keep in mind that everything is a lot smaller on the hpc screen, so the fonts that show up gigantically in your browser are actually just right to read on the hpc screen.

as for browsing other websites, yeah, i can do that, but i had to setup a proxy server on my computer like in the article C:Amie linked to.
 Top of the page
sn0n
sn0n Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 4:01 AM
#
Hello, im trying this with my Jornada 680e (the tigerdirect one) and its not working at all..
i read the article at
many time,.. double, triple, and then rechecked a few times just to make sure..
desktop computer works online fine.. jornada connects to activesync (3.8 i believe) just fine.. but no websites work.. not even the desktop computers lan ip...
any suggestions?
 Top of the page
sn0n
sn0n Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 4:04 AM
#
sorry for the double post, was being lazy and didnt register..
i also just tried to ping 192.168.55.100 from the jornada and it says
Pinging Host ppp_peer [192.168.55.100]
Ping: Icmp send failed.
if that helps any.. :-x
 Top of the page
sn0n
sn0n Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 4:20 AM
#
it may be me and my crap computer. just ignore me :-x
 Top of the page
sn0n
sn0n Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 4:29 AM
#
note to self and all reading : the analogx proxy dont need binding assigned.. i just tried without a IP and it all worked fine.. :-D
 Top of the page
sn0n
sn0n Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 4:36 AM
#
and the IP address for the pocketIE is the same as the host computer.. not 192.168.55.100
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 7:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

sn0n

Firstly please try and avoid multi post replies to yourself on the forum, we understand that there are times when it is necessary, but it does look untidy.

As to CESDC0018, the article clearly states that the document is for connecting using the cradle, not a LAN connection.
Like wise the document also states that the binding isn't necessary, but if you do not do it then anyone on any device can access the proxy server and use your system to relay to the Internet.

To bind it to your PC's LAN you should place your Host PC' IP address in the box and all should be well - and crucially secure.
The only instance when the article will fail when connecting through AS Serial / IR / USB would be when the host system is on a 192.168.55.x LAN segment or subnet. As that is not all that common I didn't go into details.
 Top of the page
sn0n
sn0n Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 2:53 PM
#
yeah, sorry about that.. i tend to send 20 IMs on messengers when 3 would've worked.. i think in segments,... and.. :: shrugs :: im just wierd.. ;-p

i do love being able to use the jornada more then before now.. i've been stuck without a internet connection on it.. LoL...

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9