x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Possible upgrades for LG Phenom Express?

Hawkeye Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello group!

I'm new, and I'm not looking for any flames, so bear with me.

I have two LG Phenom Express HPCs (H-220C Pro), both upgraded to CE 2.2 professional. I am quite familiar with them, and enjoyed using them for years. I'd like to start using them again but I have to have these things addressed:

1) Since IE has updated, the units are useless as internet devices. Is there an updated IE/web browser for the device?

2) Ethernet/wireless. Can the devices be configured to use an ethernet or wireless card?

3) Internal battery. One unit needs to have the internal battery replaced (it won't fully charge). I have the info on where to send it (AL; they're fairly quick and helpful), but I'd like to do the work myself if I can. Anyone familiar?

Thanks for the help!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 6:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcoem to the boards

1) Nope

<resists temptation to flame>

2) There are any number of threads on this on the board and many more posts pointing you towards our HCL

</resists temptation to flame>

3) There is a thread on the board which talks about replacing lithium cells for the MobilePro 790, there is also a LG specific one, on a slightly different tangent. They may aid you. Just search for threads containing mAh and you'll hit it.

The Express 220 Pro is CE 2.11 (Handhled PC Pro) not CE 2.2.
Please ensure you are using ActiveSync and not Windows CE Services (Sync Soft in the navigation)
 Top of the page
Hawkeye Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 9:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you for the lack of flames

I will look through the forums to look for information on battery info.

Not to cause flames, but remember (not just you, but everyone) that this is why you have the forum: to help those people who don't know. I used to belong to a car club that would berate newbies that didn't know the ins and outs of the cars before they asked questions. I really appreciate the input by those of you who know way more than we do, but we also appreciate a little bit of patience so we can catch up.

Thanks - no disrespect intended.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 10:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

No worries Hawk ... most folks here are nice and docile ... ... except when PS has a bad hairday ... hehehehe ... couldn't resist that! ... me have no bad hairdays ... always good hair days! ... C:Amie knows!

And you are right, we all start somewhere ... I always tell my friends who have no confidence learning programming of this little story of mine:

There was once when I first saw LodeRunner on an XT (or pre-XT) IBM-compat PC. The screen displayed "Press SpaceBar to start" ... and I stared at the keyboard for 5 mins trying to find one labelled "SpaceBar"!!!! ... then the nice lady who owned the PC came over and help ... aaaah... my heroine savior!! hehehe ...

So, morale of the story ... we all start somewhere ... so no need for berating anyone. And as far as nice forums goes, this is by far one of the nicestest forum I've ever been in! ... kudos to the admins and folks here!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 10:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

no disrespect taken.

However all I ask is that users try and see it from the admins / mod / tech users perspective, as we can easily spend our lives dealing with the "generic questions".

The answers to the generics are already on the forum in great detail or in the support section. A search of the fourm, or a google - or both before posting alleviates that, prevents content replication and keeps the forum tidy.

I know that the conter argument to that is that we should just point you in the right direction, again though the tech users do that so much on boards that it gets to the point where you become unenthused about helping, which would be worse situation for us to loose technical users.
There's also something to be said about making tracks with your own research. We provide a large number of step by step guides here on HPC:Factor for a raft of the most common questions, aimed to any level of technical understanding.
Do I know people ask without searching? yep.
Do people read them when prompted? No, some wont if they think an admin or mod will spoon feed them one to one.

So likewise no disrespect, but there is another side of the coin... and believe me we haven't forgotten why we're here.

So what do you think of the Phenom's? We don't see all that many of them these days.
 Top of the page
Hawkeye Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 12:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the positive responses (and lack of flames! ).

Concerning the Phenom, I loved the little buggers when they came out. There were only a few things that bothered me about them:

1) You have to use the touchscreen over the expansive (and wonderful!) keyboard - if they had put in a 'change screen' function that would move everything 90 degrees (like you find in some cellphones), it would have made the screen much more functional.

2) Only one CF slot, whereas the Mobilon and the Jornada (am I right?) had 2.

3) The cover over the modem breaks off (no biggie, though).

The keyboard is very good, apps were great for their day, the version of Outlook is very impressive, and the screen controls work very well for cutting out glare. It was my road machine, until IE upgraded and MS left us aside to rot. I now have a laptop, but I still miss the portability, size, and ease of use.

I gave my daughter (High School) one to use as a word processor, but she rarely touches it.

I know there's not a lot that can be done with its current architecture, but I wonder if anyone's done some 'kitbashing' (different embedded chip/OS). I think there's still a market for their functionality if they could use some of today's apps.

My $.02.

Thanks and TTFN!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 1:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is an application called nyditot which can screen rotate, although I am not clued in as to whether it'll run on your particular device.

The hp only has one CF slot under the H/PC specification. One CF and one PCMCIA - which people frequently use as a CF slot by way of an adapter.

I have always wondered why there isn't a movement to create new physical operating system chips. I can summise that the idea of physical chip, lack of generic or unified connectors to the motherboards and the fact that many ROM chips have the RAM on board as well makes the idea less than mouth watering.

Things are different in the world of Flash ROM of course.
 Top of the page
Martyn
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 1:08 PM
#
Hi, I just dug out my old Phenom Express which I loved using at college but have since replaced with two iPAQ's an h3970 and a new hx4700 but I thought I'd try loading Linux on the Phenom as it was great for writing essay's on and in no way deserves a place in the bin!

I upgraded to the 32MB of ram years ago but obviously missed the Core System upgrade from 2.11 to 2.2 but now I would like to replace both the internal backup battery and the old Lith-ion main battery.

Any info on replacement batteries or upgrade software would be great either to send away and have done or DIY.

Thanks in advance

Martyn
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 3:59 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Snappy!, what hair?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 4:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-04-09 9:59 PM

Snappy!, what hair?

ROTFL
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 4:40 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hawkeye - 2005-03-12 5:18 PM

I gave my daughter (High School) one to use as a word processor, but she rarely touches it.

Willing to sell the spare one?

Nick
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 21