x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 11:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

So my boss at work noticed my new 680e and, after a demonstration of how it works, expressed an interest in purchasing one. He's not into computers much and hasn't owned a PDA before. So I explained how they work, how HPCs differ from the current array of PocketPCs (of which he has passing familiarity), and how a keyboard can be attached to a PocketPC. I also cautioned him on the warranty, support and software disadvantages in purchasing one of these older, refurbished machines.

Taking my advice, he went to a local store during lunch and looked at current PocketPCs. He examined several models, then asked if anyone made a PDA with a built-in keyboard and roughly described the 680e's HPC form factor. The sales rep listened with interest and replied, "That's sounds like it'd be a neat device. Maybe someday someone will make something like that."

My boss returned to the office and promptly ordered a 680e from Just Deals.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 12:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yep, the HPC form, especially in the Jornada size, indeed interests a lot of people, even today. I keep saying, all hp needs to do is update the 728 to CE.net, and it'll sell. The hardware would cost less than the MP900C, the smaller size would make it much more competitive against mainstream PDAs, and to be honest, the brand alone would sell it.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 12:42 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

As recently moved from Ipaq PPCt NEC HPC, I can agree to a certain degree.
I havent seen the screens of other devices such as the Jornada 7xx range, but when comparing the screen of my new NEC (DSTN) or my older IPAQ 2200 (TFT) I would reccomend to at least change the screen to TFT.

Also the NEC might be a bit too big for my appreciation.
Maybe one of these days I'll go for a 1:1 trade for a 720 or something, who knows.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 5:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ya ... if HP just update the Jornada for CE.NET 4.2 or even 5.0, it will sell. But only if they price it right. If it comes in at $1000++ ... it won't! It must come in at $400 odd.

They seem to forget that when XTs were introduced, its entry price was $3000~$4000 (someone help me with more relevant numbers? ) odd while at that time, a mini computer (no, I'm not refering to a Mac Mini, but a "MiniComputer"! ) would have cost in the north side of $10000 (yes?). Given that price delta, with no other better deals, it made some sense to even "try that out".

So if HP or any other OEMs want to launch a HPC and win big, price point buddy!! I think I am not being unreasonable here to suggest $400 odd. After all, PPCs really started picking up when it hit the sub-$500 level. I remember it was around $800~$900 mostly when first released at gen1 devices ...

*sigh* ... alas, HP will never read this thread ... or this post ... or release at such pricing!!!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 7:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As a band of H/PC users, we are privileged.

In the summer months all you need to do is sit out on a piatza or open air cafe with a H/PC to attract Geek Girls

Just don't figure on getting any work done as the world and his wife will be asking questions.

I'm glad your boss is getting one, I hope he finds it useful.
Don't forget to point out HPC:Factor
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 10:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy, i agree! but i think, it'd sell at $600 too. (check out hx4700's price, i think it's around that...) at least i'd still buy it at this price
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-03-12 8:24 AM

Snappy, i agree! but i think, it'd sell at $600 too. (check out hx4700's price, i think it's around that...) at least i'd still buy it at this price

hehe ... I have to agree that if they release a decent machines at $600, I would/might get it! I just didn want to encourage them too much as it is! hahahaha
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 9:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't know I think $600 would be too much; the older models still have a lot of life in them. I would be hard pressed to spend that much money. Well I did get a great deal on the 680e. That might of gotten me a little bit spoiled.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 8:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I would conclude that for viability in the market place you would need to look at providing a range of devices to rival the disparate price bands in the Pcoket PC and PalmOS world.

To some there are PPC's which remain close in price to a laptop, and those people are of course hapy to pay it to get the latest, greatest and the flashy state of the art ideas (or so should be the case at that price) which follows with it. ¤500+
Then you have the mid range one ¤250 - ¤350 I would summise, and of course the base units from ¤90 - ¤200

If hp had thought out the Jornada line a little better and pushed it harder we would have had that scale with the 710, 720 and 728. Alas the 728 arrived too late, the 710 was never formally released in North America and the price difference between the 710 and 720 was nominal.

May unending game of "what if" continues.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10