x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How fast (or slow) is the 680e?

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi folks,

I know couple of you just got a 680e and some upgraded from a 680x to a 720 or something. So I wonder if you folks could chip in your experience with the 680s ... in terms of usability and the likes. Is it very slow? And if so, what app felt slow? Which apps felt fast? Thanks!

Alright ... hit me!

*ouch* ... not that way!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 3:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This is my fault isn't it
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 4:45 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Actually it's mine
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 6:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I found that when I transfered a music file over, the system ran Slow on playback. It was just a test. Involved a Classical MP3 file that was 4.6M. I'll play more with it later.
I feel most things open quick. But not having a newer unit to compare to, Just my opinion tho.
Chris
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 8:32 PM
#
I've fooled around with the 680 for quite awhile before I got my MP790.
The 680 is noticeably slower, simple as that. Animations, starting and closing programs, running anything CPU intensive is a step slower on the 680. Now, that's not to say the 680 is totally unusable or a worthless piece of crap, quite the contrary. But if you plan to throw some heavy programs or do some multitasking, it can start to dog down. The little SH3 doesn't have much horsepower.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 9:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Tonight, I just copied a song from a CD to my 680. Being that the file was 3.6MB, I transfered it to my CF. Had the song playing while I played a hand of Solitare. One day, I am going to have to upgrade the onboard speaker. Maybe an external powered unit. Just a thought.
I only really bought mine as an Organizer. So it works fine for me. Just wish I could find some games.
Chris
 Top of the page
raven Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 9:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i have the 690 and 720. The 690 has the same processor (133mHz SH3) as the 680 but just 32mb ram. I saw a big difference when i upgraded especially when multi tasking. As stated before the 690 played mp3s at a slower noticeable rate. Browsing the Internet was much slower on the 690 too!

Although there is something that pocket internet explorer on the 690 has that the 720 doesn't. The 690 lets you "right click" on any image, whether jpeg or bmp and lets you "set it as background".

Edited by raven 2005-03-14 9:21 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 9:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I really like the speed of the J680, I have not put anything big on it though.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 10:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Gee guys, thanks for the various inputs! ... its amazing how much new threads one see when you log in after a whole day!

Well, C:Amie and PS, the verdict is .... *DRUMROLL* ... C:Amie *and* PS, but first C:Amie, then PS ... hehe ...

I was really impressed by the size of the Js compared to a MP ... so was thinking of changing my 790 to a J680e ... if the speed is not so stellar, I might try a 720 instead ... if it stops hitting north of $200 on eBay!

oh, and guys, I'm *disappearing* till end of March, so keep the posts coming! I'll have a lot to "catch up" when I return!

Have fun and see you folks in a few weeks time!

ps: PS, try to be the gentle docile self you usually are, when you are not on a bad-hair day ya? hehehe
pps: Folks, PS is really nice ... except on bad-hair days ...
ppps: C:amie ... if David contacts me, I will not be able to respond to him. ... can u check with him, in case he needs help?

cya folks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have mailed David as requested.

Have fun (correct word..?) and I'll see you on the other side.

... but you do realise that PS will have trebbeled his post count by then and will be an (the) H/PC Elder, having held a coup and ousted me from government.

Good times
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 9:47 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ESCAPEMAX - 2005-03-14 9:16 PM

T I am going to have to upgrade the onboard speaker. Maybe an external powered unit. Just a thought.
I only really bought mine as an Organizer. So it works fine for me. Just wish I could find some games.
Chris

Know any post or file anywhere that explain what speaker or jack to use? I don't think you can get past mono, not internally anyway. Externally, you can get virtual stereo but to do that for any reason but experiment doesn't make sense to me. I would like a better mono speaker though. The speaker gets stressed out on low volume setting by simple things like the signal that you have a connect with a PC or "you cant do that.' The click sound works like a charm.

Anyone know a sound that doesn't stress out the speaker under normal use? I run the default setting and have the volume set default on low.

My 680 is perfect for what I bought it for, primarily keyboard data input & printing. I have a much smaller and compact orphan PDA for general data storage, organization and retreival, e.g., MP3, photos, ebooks, audio books, dictionary, encyclopedia, etc., the Casio BE 300 running a user installed eXpod OE, which permits installation of a wide range of programs. I paid a big $36 for it , factory new. The 300 has only a 133Mhz MIPS proccessor but the programs are tiny & the MIPS is 64-bit. The 680 Hitachi processor is 32-bit.

In my thinking, we can't compare PDA tech PC hardware to a Windows running desktop PC or a lug-a-bout (notebook) PC. Bloatware rules in the Windows desktop domain. I'll bet few people here ever need a word processor feature their handheld MS Word can't perform, yet we tolerate huge, bloatware MS Word for Windows 98.x & XP. Software bloat demands Windows be huge and all this bloat creates software & PC instability.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually, I am said to say that it may only be a matter of time until I leave also. Of course, not forever, but at the moment I seem to have pushed CE to its limits and cannot make it do more. It seems in order to get anything new from the system is to develop for it. And I guess that is what I will have to do, and hopefully the forum will do the same.

It looks like I will have to turn to *nux, which is what I really wanted from the beginning, but I really have gotten attached to CE. It just can't do what I want it to do at the moment. But like I said before all this can change. We have the resources. We have the processors, the compilers, the OS. We have everything we need. Now all we need is someone to push us forward. I have tried, and I am not saying that I have failed. As I will go on to learn what I need before the summer arrives. So it may not be long until the PS that rolled into this site so many months ago with all the ideas and threads and many posts comes back again. But for now, I really am dry. I don't really have anything to excite myself with, to learn everything with.

That time will hopefully come soon, as I really don't want to stay like this. If I had the stuff to go off of, I would beat Snappy! in posts. But I don't.

So, this is not goodbye, as I still have a few tasks to finish first on this forum, some loose threads to complete. Same with on the HPC itself.

And then I will finish what I started in the beginning and come anew. It was great while new ideas were all over the place, but now everything is so repetitive. If anyone wants some ideas, look at the early posts of this forum, for one, the web browser and call to arms threads.

This is my slow farewell, and I suppose it should be moved to a thread of its own. If someone wishes to make it, thank you. I had a great time here, and will be back.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-03-15 7:39 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just wanted to lett you know you have helped out a lot, all the ideas you have left in past forums have been a lot of help for me and a lot of other people PS.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, good times. Hahah C:Amie won? eh
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah I guess I might as well respond to the actual thread now... Pretty much, if you want it for the uses that I think you are thinking about it for, Snappy!, then it should be a great little system. But if you were thinking about using it for the uses that you already said your 790 was just to slow for...well hehe I guess it isn't right then.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 30