x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC 2000 or Windows CE .net?

Binks
Binks Page Icon Posted 2005-03-16 10:56 PM
#
Was all set to purchase a HP Jornada 728 (for a great price), then while surfing for accessories I discovered the NEC MobilePro 900 and then the 900c. Since the HP 728 does not have USB port - except for the dock, NEC seemed the best choice. But now what about OS? HPC or CE? NEC offers both. I have no idea what are the differences to choose one over the other...even after seachihg forums. I plan to it to surf, check email, listen to audible books and edit EXCEL documents on the go. Would appreciate any opinions on the OS or the three handhelds in question: HP 728, 900 or 900c.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-17 2:07 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Must I say this again and again?! Perhaps there should be a big banner that says search first...There are comparisons in some threads. The 728 is CE 3, is slower than the 900, less of everything, but smaller. The 900 is bigger, faster...er stronger? The 900C uses CE 4.2...probably not as nice.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-17 8:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Binks,

The 900 / 900c is really a subjective matter.
The way I view this community is of two distinct groups of users.

1) The PDA User Group
2) The Laptop Replacement Group

The Laptop replacement group tend to be after more functuality than offered by Pocket Office, and so are happy to live with out it. They geherally want performance and expanded capabilities - this is where CE4.2 does get thigns right.

For the lighter PDA groups though, CE4 is not really an option (You can make it a fully functional PDA through third party applications, but you have to be willing to spend the extra to get the likes of On-Schedule, Wordprocessors, Spreadsheets, Presentation replacements and so on.).

The mainappeal of the 900c is the 6.x browser, where as the HPC2000 900 or Jornada 700 series is only a 4.x browser. If your internet use is heavy duty then you may want to look into this but be aware of the trade-off.

Dependingon the level of your Excel needs, you may need to look at PlanMaker no matter which platform you choose; if the HPC2000 Pocket Excel proves too limited for your requirements:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=80

Other than that there are more software titles available for HPC2000 and more developers past and present for HPC2000 (Developer tools are all free, where as CE4 you need to know C++ .net to get any freebies).

Remembering that advice given to you buy users here is going to be dependent on how we ourselves use our PDA's; I personally am in the PDA group and would stick with a HPC2000 device over CE4.
 Top of the page
Binks
Binks Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 1:22 PM
#
Thanks for responding. I think I understood your answer - I know very little about handhelds. My first choice was a mini-notebook running WinXP and someone suggested the Jornada 728, which interested me since it was less than half the price of a Sony TR5. So are you saying that for either HPC 2000 or WIN CE 4.2, none of my regular windows applications can be installed on these, ie MS Office?
 Top of the page
Binks
Binks Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 1:46 PM
#
The forum search did not help since most of the responses were technical and I had never heard of HPC 2000 or WIN ce until someone suggested Jornada 728 instead of a mini-notebook running WinXP. I have a palm device and understand that regular windows software is not applicable, so I just needed to know if HPC and CE would allow other programs to be installed. Is there software just for these types of OS or can I install my regualr windows applications to them as well?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 2:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No you cannot install regular Windows Applications. They have to be specially formated for the CPU, screen size and Operating System version.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Just helping C:Amie a little here.

Your regular Windows applications cannot be installed on a Win CE device.

But for common uses, there are alternative applications for Win CE.

For example if you need MS Office, HPC 2000 comes with the Pocket Office suite, which includes Pocket Outlook (Inbox, Contacts, and Calendar), Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, Pocket Access, and Pocket PowerPoint. It is a scaled down version of Office. Which means it has a similar interface, but only a portion of the functions.

And as mentioned before, SoftMaker (http://www.softmaker.com/english/) offers TextMaker and PlanMaker for both regular Windows and Windows CE.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8