x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The Great Crash of 2007

1 2 3 4 5 6
gere Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 9:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok . .now for my 2 cents . . or 2 pence (lived in England for while - got LLM there)

This whole line of discussion would not be happening were it not for the very first post in this thread!

It takes some level of class (or rather non-class) for one to respond to his personal emails by such a post as the first here. OK so if someone has a gripe or is offended by a pm let him respond to the sender in like kind ie, a pm -- not post his response in the forum --only his response, mind you, and not the original offending pm.

The very public response appears to invite just the kind of response it got! Is this evidence perhaps of a tad bit of insecurity?

that's all for now -- may be more later!

gere

Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 10:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I a feel group hug coming on!

Edited by Hurricane John 2007-02-21 10:07 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 10:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I can't agree with your statements, gere. When you have just three people running a site this large, and one in particular (C:Amie) doing most of the day-to-day work of keeping the site running, it's not realistic to sit down and respond to each mean-spirited e-mail. People who write mean-spirited e-mails don't deserve that kind of individual attention, and responding personally is unlikely to discourage them. (Indeed, it will probably encourage them to continue doing it.) IMHO, it's perfectly appropriate to respond with one message to everyone stating that this kind of behavior is not productive and may ultimately cause those running the site to feel less motivated to do so, thinking that maybe it's not worth the stress. (There's an analogy here with domestic violence, whose victims I sometimes encounter in my work. We never encourage the victim to respond "in kind," but rather to remove themselves from the situation as soon as possible. It's not far different communicating online - every so often, you may encounter someone who will escalate rapidly into making threatening statements, and there is nothing to be gained by responding to them directly.)

If we want to keep this site the friendly and helpful one that it is, we each have a responsibility to avoid pointing blame when something goes wrong. It's more constructive to figure out how to make it right.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-02-21 10:12 PM
 Top of the page
gere Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 10:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

When you have just three people running a site this large, and one in particular (C:Amie) doing most of the day-to-day work of keeping the site running, it's not realistic to sit down and respond to each mean-spirited e-mail. People who write mean-spirited e-mails don't deserve that kind of individual attention, and responding personally is unlikely to discourage them.

I agree wholeheartedly! Best to just ignore the nasty pm;s; but that takes a real big person!

gere
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Please just stop! Please keep on topic, and please don't read into things you don't know about, or judge others for what you think they mean. Goodness... I feel like my grandfather...
Anyhow... just be thankful the site is back up!

Edited by Yoldering 2007-02-21 11:05 PM
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 12:19 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

John:

I only know part of the story-but maybe a Group Hug would be in order-in view of your remarks or rumour in
ppcmag forum surmising that HPC Factor was possibly not going to continue.

I know how frustrated Chris would have been last week with the unenviable task of having to restore the site and at the same time having people question whether or not he was going to even bother to get the site up and running. I have read the comments of the 3 members of this site that also posted on your forum and don't find their comments overly objectionable in view of your remarks as to the possible surprise demise of HPC Factor. I do not know if further PM's were sent to Chris. If they were, perhaps as Gere suggests, it would have been better for Chris to deal with them personally rather than at the start of this post-(I was actually the 1st person after Chris to reply to). I don't know to whom Chris's comments were aimed specifically and at this point it doesn't really matter.

Chris is right-we don't know him and Clinton and John very well if we think they would just up and abandon the hard-work and
dedication that has gone into this site over the past 4 years. It is even more obvious now that Chris, Clinton, & John are very committed and dedicated to HPC Factor and I personally have nothing but admiration for the hard work and effort that goes into this site on a daily basis. I for one would be disappointed if the rumour was in fact true-but I now know that, if in fact the site was ever contemplating shut-down, that we would all know well in advance as to precisely why it was ceasing to exist and we would probably debate its demise for months prior to actual final decisions being made.

However, this site is great for many reasons-obviously, the hard work, effort, commitment and passion of Chris, Clinton, John etc.
As well, the site needs committed, knowledgeable and respectful members-cmonex, takwu, CE Geek, Yoldering, and too many more to list, who take the time and effort to help others on a daily basis. There is no doubt in my mind that many of the regular contributors to this site are as committed and as passionate (although in a different way) as Chris, Clinton and John etc.. and to lose 1 or more for any reason diminishes HPC Factor.

I personally did not think for one moment that Chris et al were possibly not going to continue with HPC Factor-I knew something seriously happened to the server-and I certainly know personally how frustrating that can be. Had I read your comments, last week, as to the possibility that Chris et al were thinking about shutting the site down I might have also contacted him by PM as suggested by you and found myself on the wrong end of his obvious frustration with the server and others questioning his commitment to the HPC Factor community.

As my friend Yoldering would say: Everyone should just cool it.

wildbill

Top of the page
chess
chess Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 5:21 AM
#
Cmonex was the heart and soul of this community.

She was the best of us.

*That* is why she had to go.

And so do I.

chess
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 6:57 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Can someone pass the popcorn, please? This is turning from a documentary into a tradegy, comedy and now farce.

gere, you're entitled to your opinions. I disagree with them completely.
chess, I really don't understand your post.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 7:50 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
When I go to this thread, I have to hold my breath and brace myself. It veers from elation to sympathy to anger to something else completely, often within a single post.

Whatever the tone, it's all testament to HPCFactor and its founders. That a website could produce--and more importantly, sustain--such high emotion, whether it's negative or positive, shows the site's continuing importance to its followers.

Indifference is often a website's cause of death, and so I think it's safe to say that HPCFactor clearly has a clean bill of health.

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 7:52 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

chess - 2007-02-22 5:21 AM

Cmonex was the heart and soul of this community.

She was the best of us.

*That* is why she had to go.

And so do I.

chess

Simply amazing!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 7:55 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2007-02-22 7:50 AM

Whatever the tone, it's all testament to HPCFactor and its founders. That a website could produce--and more importantly, sustain--such high emotion, whether it's negative or positive, shows the site's continuing importance to its followers.

Indifference is often a website's cause of death, and so I think it's safe to say that HPCFactor clearly has a clean bill of health.

Jake

Jake - Very good point!

It's time to put this to rest and get back to making HPCFactor.com the best it can be!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 8:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'll drink to that!

Next time I'm in a pub or bar, I really shall raise a glass to HPCFactor, and to the efforts of Chris.

So John, what's your brew of choice?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 8:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

rlw and co.

The site isn't missing any page content. It was all backed up religiously. What we're missing is data that was sitting in databases primarily between 24 Decmber and 10 February.
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 10:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

John, Chiark, Jake, C:Amie, Cmonex etc.

I am all for having a drink to this site-in fact when I go to your backyard next month-John I fully intend to have several. I think this topic should just end-maybe C:Amie should have the last word.
Let's get back to making HPC Factor the best that it can be-and to do so we need dedicated, committed knowledgeable contributors like cmonex and countless others-too many to name.
cmonex: just start posting again-this site will not be the same without you as it is without the contribution of others who visit less frequently then they did in the past.
Where is Wally Thacker anyway?-I miss him!
If things were said and/or taken the wrong way-everyone should "just get over it"!
wildbill

Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 3:14 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If things were said and/or taken the wrong way-everyone should "just get over it"!

Indeed - I'll drink to that!
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10