x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J680E Audio Button?

ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-17 8:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just got my Audio Buttons today. I'm not sure, But I think they may be broken. The Stop button(One with red dot) is seperate from the the other 2. Is it supposed to be like that? Also, What is the easiest way to install the buttons? Took the screws out of the bottom. Couldnt get the bottom case removed. Just barely enough room to slip the buttons in. Tried to put in, Couldnt get the case together. I know someone here has done it before(Cant remember who) Please help?
When I attempted it, I inadvertantly did a Hard Reset.
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-17 9:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

One of the buttons will detach completly. It'll slide onto the mount but wont be secure until it's in the case.

All the pressure is on the back hinges. If you pull the keyboard up remember to observe anti-static precautions.
Also don't forget the screws in the main battery compartment.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 7:53 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am lookng at the button assembly this morning. It must have gotton bent in transit. Next to the Lock button, Its cracked. Can literally fold it in half. Going to see if they can send me another.
The screws under the battery. Took them out as well. Having trouble trying to hold the case open and insert the buttons.
Chris
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 9:22 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Contacted HP. They are sending me a replacement. Told me to toss the broken one.
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 10:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Haha, good deal.
hp have a heart
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 4:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I realize this may be stretching the thread a little. Went to radioShack today and picked up a set of amplified speakers. Tried them on my desktop, Sound great for their size. RadioShack part #40-1441. Now I just need to disable my onboard speaker and wire up a jack. I know it would have to be Mono. I have an adapter that converts Mono to Mono/Stereo. Mono out of both speakers.
On a side note. My 256MB CF is almost full. Only transfered 3 audio cds to it. Think I have about 60MB left.
Chris
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 11:42 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Bummer on the broken button assembly.

Before you put the buttons in, you should back up your Jornada and remove the flash card. I tried to keep the backup battery going the first time and just ended up draining it and having to replace it (and it was at "good" level).

The record button does indeed come off. In fact, it's darn near impossible to keep it on. The forward and reverse buttons also come off, just not as easily. I've put buttons back in two units and it is a bit of a pain. I couldn't get the bottom of the case to totally detached after removing all the screws either and was afraid to force things. So I just lifted up the corner where the buttons go. Here's what I did:

First, be aware there are two hidden screws. One is under the small sticker in the battery compartment. Peel the sticker back carefully (but don't remove it completely) and remove this screw. When you put the screw back, the sticker should stick back down nicely. The second hidden screw is underneath HP's big compliance label. I removed it from the first unit, but still couldn't get the bottom to detach. I recommend you just leave it alone as, with the screw in or out, the corner you need access to still opens enough to get the buttons in. After you've removed the screws, pop open the flash slot and leave it open.

I removed both the record button and the foward/rewind buttons from the lock button bar. Then put these two button assemblies in the case. To get them to seat down properly it is necessary to get the bottoms of the buttons underneath the main board and I had to lift up the main board just slightly. Key word SLIGHTLY. Once the buttons were in. I then slid the lock button bar back through them and closed everything up.

Because you have to hold the case open, lift the main board, and put the buttons in at the same time, you may want to get another pair of hands to assist you. I needed help the first time, but was able to do it solo the second time around.

Hope this helps.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-21 7:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just got my replacement today. Maybe I'll just send it to my Brother. He's a Computer Engineer. Also have him remove the onboard speaker and wire up a jack. Assuming he's game. He lives in CA. So I have to e-mail him and wait to see what he says.
Chris
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-22 7:47 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Buttons, I have Buttons. Spent about 35 Minutes this morning. Performed a slight No-No. Left the Batteries in the unit. On a GOOD note, My Memory is still intact.
My next project is the headphone jack. At a later time.
Thanks all for the Assistance.
Chris
 Top of the page
Keith
Keith Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 2:11 PM
#
Hey- I've been reading the posts about the Tiger Direct 680e's and I must say- following everyone's lead has made it so much better (You know, learn from others!!!). I got the Cisco Aironet 340 wireless card for $8 on Ebay, uploaded the needed software and had it working with no hitch. I also ordered the audio buttons and screws from HP for $4.00 and followed your instructions on installing them. I followed those instructions above, but found that after removing the screws if you lighty squeeze the blue shell where it meets the black base (disengaging the latches) you can easily remove the base from the unit entirely. Then putting in the audio pads is extremely easy. Then just align everything back together and snap it all back in place. I think it took me about 15 minutes to do it.

I hope that might help someone, because you guys have helped me and probably saved me a ton of time and money.

I know the moderaters might get mad about this, but my only question is still trying to find quality shareware and freeware, heck even software I have to buy. What programs do you guys have that you like and where are some other places to look?
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 4:17 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi,
I realize this thread is kind of old but I'm going to get it goin' again. I just bought a 680e on ebay and so I've been searching the forums here for info about my new toy. And i just realized now that some of these machines don't have audio buttons? Is that right? I was looking on usedhandhelds.com and they sell a 680e that doesn't have audio buttons, cf slot, or stabilizer. So I looked more closely at the pictures of the one I bought and it doesn't appear to have audio buttons. Does this mean that it probably doesn't have a cf slot either? That'll kinda suck cuz I was plannin' on using my cf memory expansion and the pc card slot for a modem.

Paul
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 4:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The listing is Wrong. The J680E has a CF slot. Its under the plastic cover on the bottom.
Audio Buttons? Not included. You need to remove and toss the plastic cover.
Stabilizer? Yes, Guess where?
Chris
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 14