x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

gdblackthorn Page Icon Posted 2007-02-20 1:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I just purchased the Pocketbible 3.0. I know it won't work with the Jornada 728 that I have, but someone by the name of Patty who works for Laridian is going to substitute it for a version that is compatible. I read the review here on version 2.021 and it seemed like it would work best for me.

I was just wondering if anyone here has gotten the latest version 3.0 to work on the Jornada 720 (or 728). Version 3.0 has the functions that I really want.

Before the site crashed, a member offered to assist me with this, but I cannot for the life of me remember the members exact name. Since the PM's are all gone and I had to join here again, there is no record available for me to know who it was (since my memory failed me).

If anyone has had any luck with version 3.0, please let me know.

Edited by gdblackthorn 2007-02-20 1:20 PM
 Top of the page
gdblackthorn Page Icon Posted 2007-02-28 3:11 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The version that I bought from Laridian is 2.031. I installed it and it runs but something is rather strange. If compared to Clinton Fitch's review of version 2.021, it is somwhat different. I emailed Laridian and they assure me that there should be none of these changes that I described to them:

In the review it shows the following menus on the top tool bar File Edit Find View & Help. I only have Edit Find & View, there is no File or help options on the menu.

The option to open more than two books has been removed (the prior version actually allowed up to six on the same screen, though I would need 3 at most). "Save Layout" is no longer available. The copy icon is missing and is only available through the View drop-down menu. The notes icon is missing and is only available in the same way.

Note: This version was made for the PocketBible for HPC 2000. According to the one who assisted me at Laridian, she states that she has the same version installed and working on her own HPC device.

Could this be a problem with the runtime files or something?

I have tried a soft reset, reinstall, reinstall to memory, and a reinstall using the cab files, all without any luck!

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Edited by gdblackthorn 2007-02-28 3:12 PM
 Top of the page
gdblackthorn Page Icon Posted 2007-03-01 1:22 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I received this back from Laridian:

Basically, after the installation the program decides when it is started whether it is being used on a Pocket PC or a HPC PDA. If it is a PPC, it shows the PPC menu structure. If the device has a soft-input-panel (SIP) (the popup keyboard/input area) then it is assumed that the device is a PPC.

Based on your description of the problem, the program is showing the user interface for the Pocket PC. This means that your HPC device is indicating that it has the soft-input-panel (popup keyboard) like what is used on a PPC. This is not normal.

Have you installed any software that puts a touchable keyboard on your screen (you tap it out with your stylus on your screen)?

What other 3rd party products do you have installed other than the Laridian software?

I have:
Nyditot virtual display
Mobipocket
Tweaks2k2
VBRegFix
GAPI

I disabled virtual display maybe that will fix it.

Anyone have any suggestions before I get back to them?

Edited by gdblackthorn 2007-03-01 1:32 PM
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 9:49 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

I was just wondering if anyone here has gotten the latest version 3.0 to work on the Jornada 720 (or 728). Version 3.0 has the functions that I really want.

As far as I know 3.0 will not work with an HPC. I do not believe that Laridian updated PocketBible to that revision for HPCs.

Let me post in the Laridian VIP group and see if I can get a more definative answer for you.
 Top of the page
gdblackthorn Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 10:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I appreciate your help here Clintonfitch! Thanks for your time!

I sorta think we are stuck with version 2.031 now.

Anyway, since the problem that I am now having is a compatibility problem I think that we who want to use this as was intended for the Handheld pc, may have to try and figure this out on our own. If anyone here has any suggestions or has tried to get version 2.031 or similar to work correctly for the Handheld maybe we could work on it together.

Laridian just told me concerning version 2.031:

That version doesn't actually work for the Pocket PC but much of the code is the same in both so it automatically does some system checking before opening and then displays according to what it finds. I'm not a programmer so I don't understand all of the intricate details on how it all works. I just work to get things running when a problem occurs.

I really don't know which one that it would be but I'd lean towards the Nyditot virtual display. It would be a matter of uninstalling and then trying PocketBible to see if it corrects the problem.

...and of course if there is a way to get 3.0 to work, please let me know. I am new to tweaking the handheld, but I am willing to learn.

I really like the options that come with the pocket bible, especially version 3.0.

I wonder how much interest would have to be given to the pocket bible for them to support us?

Edited by gdblackthorn 2007-03-02 10:40 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 11:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, the fact that the tech support person you communicated with has an H/PC herself is encouraging. She sounded pretty helpful too.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 12:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I"ll talk to them and see what I can find out.

The software is protected by copyright so we can't hack it up.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 12:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2007-03-02 10:46 AM

Well, the fact that the tech support person you communicated with has an H/PC herself is encouraging. She sounded pretty helpful too.

That's a great point and it is nice to see!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 12:43 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I installed the version of Pocket Bible for HPC's that is available on Usehandhelds.com Great HPC Software & Resource CD and the runs beautifully.

BTW - It is indeed version 2.031, as you mentioned 3.0 is not HPC compatiable.

Edited by Hurricane John 2007-03-02 12:44 PM
 Top of the page
gdblackthorn Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 2:10 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hurricane John, So do you have all of the menu's on the toobar including the File & Help? Do you also show all the icons that are shown on Clinton's review page? Please compare it to what I am experiencing.

An issue that I just found is under options where I want to change from "Red letter" to just all black text. It appears that you can change this option, but after you click ok, nothing changes and the option just stays the same.

Of the programs that I have installed, which of the same do you have installed on yours? Maybe it is a runtime file or another type of file that makes mine think I am running it on a pocket pc rather than a handheld pc?

Clinton- yes she was very helpful!

Edited by gdblackthorn 2007-03-02 2:11 PM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hurricane John, So do you have all of the menu's on the toobar including the File & Help? Do you also show all the icons that are shown on Clinton's review page? Please compare it to what I am experiencing.

Yes - I have all the menus on the tool bar including File & Help

An issue that I just found is under options where I want to change from "Red letter" to just all black text. It appears that you can change this option, but after you click ok, nothing changes and the option just stays the same.

Nope - it works fine on my HPC

Of the programs that I have installed, which of the same do you have installed on yours? Maybe it is a runtime file or another type of file that makes mine think I am running it on a pocket pc rather than a handheld pc?

The only one I have is Mobipocket Reader 4.8

You might want to consider uninstalling all of the suspect programs and then try reinstalling Pocket Bible! If that works then you might want to install those programs again, one by one.

Make sure you backup you HPC first!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-03-05 9:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

gdblackthorn - 2007-02-28 3:11 PM

The version that I bought from Laridian is 2.031. I installed it and it runs but something is rather strange. If compared to Clinton Fitch's review of version 2.021, it is somwhat different. I emailed Laridian and they assure me that there should be none of these changes that I described to them:

In the review it shows the following menus on the top tool bar File Edit Find View & Help. I only have Edit Find & View, there is no File or help options on the menu.

The option to open more than two books has been removed (the prior version actually allowed up to six on the same screen, though I would need 3 at most). "Save Layout" is no longer available. The copy icon is missing and is only available through the View drop-down menu. The notes icon is missing and is only available in the same way.

Note: This version was made for the PocketBible for HPC 2000. According to the one who assisted me at Laridian, she states that she has the same version installed and working on her own HPC device.

Could this be a problem with the runtime files or something?

I have tried a soft reset, reinstall, reinstall to memory, and a reinstall using the cab files, all without any luck!

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

What you just described is exactly what happens when I try to run the HPC2000 version on my 900c!
 Top of the page
PDAfan Page Icon Posted 2007-03-05 10:41 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm replying quickly and have not done research, but I recall seeing something sometime ago about a patch for Jornada to correct an issue which causes the device to report as something other than the device type it is? I can't remember if it applied to 720 only, or if it was only an activesync issue. Perhaps look in that direction or the registry entries for the software. Maybe there is something there that you can manually change the device type.
 Top of the page
gdblackthorn Page Icon Posted 2007-03-06 1:03 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hurricane John, when I change options from red letter to just black text, close the option screen and test to see if the changes took mine does not allow the change to actually take place, it is still red letter edition.

Does yours do this also?

PDAfan, that sounds like a good place to start. I appreciate the suggestion. I will try to find something on it.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-06 1:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

PDAfan, that issue is specific to the 720. It gets misidentified by some ActiveSync installers as a Pocket PC rather than an H/PC. It's due to a missing registry key. There's a patch available for this if you don't want to go through the hassle of editing the registry yourself. (I don't recall what entry you make in the registry or where, but C:Amie knows.)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 13