x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Pocket Streets 2006 and GPS on MP900C

CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-20 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Some days ago, we had a thread about this but I could not find it (search is not working yet. Maybe, the thread was lost). I tested PS2006 with iGPS-360 on MP900C. It works, but, no routing, no voice prompt. Originally, I tried to use the GPS receiver that came with MS Streets & Trips 2006 using the USB cable, but the serial to USB driver from Pharos (it is for Win98/Me/2000/XP) could not be installed on MP900C. So, I used Pharos' adapter from GPS-360 to CF to PCMCIA. The pity is PS2006 does not provide routing and voice prompt. It just locates where you are. In contrast, the full version on a laptop provides decent GPS functionality. Maybe, Pharos' own mapping software can provide the lacking features of PS2006. It remains to be confirmed.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-20 4:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd like to hear about this since I have that Pharos GPS receiver. (I have to go looking for the driver and map CDs - I don't recall if it requires CE 4.x .net/Windows Mobile 2003, or maybe works in CE 3 devices. If the latter is true, maybe with any luck there'll be a MIPS version there.)
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Pharos' website does provide some information, but it is still not crystal clear. For Ostia 6.x, it clearly says Windows CE or PPC 3.0 or later. For Ostia 7.0, it says PPC 3.0.x and WM 2003. For Ostia 7.5 and 7.6, it simply says Windows CE 4.0 or higher for PPC requirement. I'm not sure if 7.5/7.6 runs on CE .NET. CE Geek, What's your version of Ostia? I remember you run it on Axim, but Axim run WM. Right?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

BTW, does Ostia require a registration key to run?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-21 3:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Won't know until I find the software package. (I can't open Ostia on my Axim at the moment - looks like I lost one of the required DLLs during a hard reset, so I'll have to re-install it there too.)
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 2:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I downloaded a 30-day trial version of Ostia 7.5. Following Pharos' instructions, I installed it smoothly on MP900C and downloaded a map. When I ran it, an error message said "Cannot find 'Ostia' (or one of its components)..." I then used ExecutabilityCheck to check Ostia.exe and a message said missing mfcce300.dll and cellcore.dll. I just copied those 2 dlls I previous downloaded from Cmonex's site to the same directory as Ostia.exe. Maybe, the ExecutabilityCheck is for CE 3.0 and the 2 dlls are also for CE 3.0. Some investigations and hacks may be required. This is beyond my knowledge.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-22 2:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

After the 2 dlls are in place, the Execheck says 'Ostia' is an invalid file.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 12:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Since Ostia 7.5 is not immediately compatibile with MP900C, Mapopolis may be a choice. Any experience with Mapopolis Navigator, especially about its compatibility with CE .NET 4.2?
 Top of the page
docsdad
docsdad Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 3:26 PM
#
I have an old version of Pharos Ostia, which I just installed on my 720 after reading your post. It loaded fine and runs perfectly. I use a Socket Bluetooth CF card in a PC card adapter (Ambicon) and driver from HPCFactor. I use a Delorme Earthmate mounted in a blue tooth adpater that delorme sold for this unit. Paired with the GPS receiver and changed the comm port in ostia to 7 and it was off and running. Obviously during the day it is difficult to see, but at night it should work like a charm. I do have some dll's in machine for other programs, but do not know if they were necessary to run, as it just loaded and run. I do not have unit with me at work, but will look at what level the Pharos is when I get off work. Sure glad I read your post. Had no idea this would work on the 720 as I have several other GPS mapping programs which do not. I loaded on a 2GB storage card with the rest of my software and put maps in a My Documents folder on the storage card.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 3:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Turned the whole house upside down and finally found my Ostia software. Good thing, too - it's still expensive online. I have version 7.0. (And, even though there's only one CAB file, it claims to be compatible with MIPS and SH3 devices as well - so I'm gonna try installing it on my PenCentra.)

Now to turn my house right side up again.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Glad to hear that Ostia works on J720. I guess you may have version 7.0 or 6.x.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 4:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No go on the PenCentra - I think the CAB is ARM only despite what the user guide says.
 Top of the page
docsdad
docsdad Page Icon Posted 2007-02-28 2:00 PM
#
My version of Ostia is 6. I will try to put on my wife's 900C next week to see if it works there. I find that if I load many maps (9) it max's out my available memory and does lock up, but with 2 0r 3 it works fine. Have not been able to get any sound to work but will continue to try..
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-02-28 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Interested in knowing your result on MP900C!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11